Have the Buffalo Sports media ever been worse?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I like John Murphy and Mark Kelso. Both are employed by the team and still speak their mind..to a point. I was sorry to see Vic Carucci leave for the Cleveland area. I can still enjoy his commentary on the Sirius NFL network though... he still keeps an eye on the Buffalo market. Vogl and Harrington don't have the hate that Gleason exudes, but they don't often have much to say. Jim Kelley has yet to be replaced. WGR is what they are... confrontation in an attempt to increase ratings... poor communication skills. They could use the return of Dennis Williams, but that isn't happening.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I like John Murphy and Mark Kelso. Both are employed by the team and still speak their mind..to a point. I was sorry to see Vic Carucci leave for the Cleveland area. I can still enjoy his commentary on the Sirius NFL network though... he still keeps an eye on the Buffalo market. Vogl and Harrington don't have the hate that Gleason exudes, but they don't often have much to say. Jim Kelley has yet to be replaced. WGR is what they are... confrontation in an attempt to increase ratings... poor communication skills. They could use the return of Dennis Williams, but that isn't happening.

Harrington is an ass.

He'll tweet something factually incorrect, and when corrected uses the "where's your journalism degree" line and blocks you, despite everybody knowing that he was wrong.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Schopp is second only to Jim Rome in "hosts that make me want to punch my car radio".

Funny thing...

I am actually a big fan of both Rome & Schopp. I love their off-beat senses of humor, vs. the more guttural, beer-always-in-their-hand type hosts who are apparently there because they relate so well to the typical sports fan. Guys like Sal Copaccio (sp?) are the types I can't stand. Just dumb.

I do hate Kevin Sylvester though. he is such a smug and humorless *******.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Funny thing...

I am actually a big fan of both Rome & Schopp. I love their off-beat senses of humor, vs. the more guttural, beer-always-in-their-hand type hosts who are apparently there because they relate so well to the typical sports fan. Guys like Sal Copaccio (sp?) are the types I can't stand. Just dumb.

I do hate Kevin Sylvester though. he is such a smug and humorless *******.

You like Jim Rome and Mike Dope I mean Schopp but you can't stand Sal Capachio :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Mike Schopp is a pompous fart wafting jack ass. He states numerous times that he hates football (even though WGR is the bills flagship channel now) and this annoying ***** will have stuff like all time toy drafts or tv show drafts (which relate to sports how exactly?) Schopp the loser will spend an hour talking about tennis and baseball (two sports which mean jack **** in Buffalo. Earth to Schopp the dope, no one cares about Baseball or Tennis. Talk about Bills or Sabres or shut the **** up )

It's laughable that you like Mike Schopp but hate Coach Sal. Coach Sal is the best host on WGR bar none and is 10x a better man then Dope and the bull ****** can ever dream of being. Coach Sal is a polite, educated and extremely intelligent sports aficionado who respects every caller. Schopp is a loud mouthed sack of **** who is a rude ******* to anyone who doesn't kiss his ass and agree with his worthless opinion.

WGR will always be a second rate sports talk channel as long as they employ Schopp and the Bulldog as their "prime time" hosts. They are terrible and a joke.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You like Jim Rome and Mike Dope I mean Schopp but you can't stand Sal Capachio :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Mike Schopp is a pompous fart wafting jack ass. He states numerous times that he hates football (even though WGR is the bills flagship channel now) and this annoying ***** will have stuff like all time toy drafts or tv show drafts (which relate to sports how exactly?) Schopp the loser will spend an hour talking about tennis and baseball (two sports which mean jack **** in Buffalo. Earth to Schopp the dope, no one cares about Baseball or Tennis. Talk about Bills or Sabres or shut the **** up )

It's laughable that you like Mike Schopp but hate Coach Sal. Coach Sal is the best host on WGR bar none and is 10x a better man then Dope and the bull ****** can ever dream of being. Coach Sal is a polite, educated and extremely intelligent sports aficionado who respects every caller. Schopp is a loud mouthed sack of **** who is a rude ******* to anyone who doesn't kiss his ass and agree with his worthless opinion.

WGR will always be a second rate sports talk channel as long as they employ Schopp and the Bulldog as their "prime time" hosts. They are terrible and a joke.

Head hurts

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Nobody cares about baseball? Really?

If you're criticizing Schopp & Bulldog for Bologna Drafts and that nonsense, I'm with ya. But honestly, I think the only time they're decent is when they discuss something other than Sabres/Bills since they don't have to grind agendas.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Coach Sal is horrendous - as are most of his WGR colleagues - and there are plenty of people who care about baseball in WNY.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
I like Schopp and the Bulldog. Sal seems nice enough but he's boring and generic, his type is on ESPN radio all day, all IMHO of course.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Sullivan is an excellent writer, but it's wasted for the News (I'm a biased former employee there, but they're really a desperate joke that's been dead for a decade). It's his fault though for continuing to grow his stupid negativity trolling act in his columns and on radio.

And, you could also argue, on television as well; he and Gleason do a show twice a week for WBBZ-TV locally.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Nobody cares about baseball? Really?

If you're criticizing Schopp & Bulldog for Bologna Drafts and that nonsense, I'm with ya. But honestly, I think the only time they're decent is when they discuss something other than Sabres/Bills since they don't have to grind agendas.

If its the summer and training camp hasn't started then yes baseball is fine to talk about. But when the Sabres or Bills have pertinent topics to talk about, then talking about baseball is pointless.

This is a football and hockey town. Baseball and basketball are so far down the list compared to football and hockey. There isn't a pro baseball team here, there are pro football and hockey teams though.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
I've grown to appreciate Schopp/Bulldog. I like their personalities, for the most part. I enjoy that they don't always take it so seriously and do stupid **** like Sitcom Drafts, and I appreciate that they don't tow the line for the teams. People hate them and I can understand why, but they're entertaining. I also feel bad that they have to get on daily and talk about two teams that have had it so rough. I can only imagine how tough it is to keep it going. Greg is sorely missed, but I think Tom, the new producer, will do a good job replicating his role.

I don't read much of the sports writers around here. I only listen to the radio shows at work.

I like Schopp and the Bulldog. Sal seems nice enough but he's boring and generic, his type is on ESPN radio all day, all IMHO of course.

Agree, I don't mind his Overtime show on Sundays.

I think WGR needs an overnight show badly. Overnight sports talk is just amazing...

When was the last time you actually listened to their show? I've not once heard Schopp say he hates football, and I've listened every day for four years.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo

"Coach Sal", as you call him, makes some of THE dumbest analysis of hockey on the local airwaves. I cringe whenever he opens his mouth on the subject.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I second that!!! If I'm driving, the radio gets turned off at noon. If I left it on I'd want to drive into a bridge embankment.

I have class in the AM and I listen to the Howard Simon show during Schopp's show. Can't stand the guys personality, I hate most "I have a radio show/newspaper column/TV segment so my opinion is better" guys. I use the radio as a place to find different views about sports, I don't rely on it for factual information. If these guys really knew what was going on they'd have better jobs.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
If these guys really knew what was going on they'd have better jobs.

I actually think they have pretty good jobs. While most sports fans wring their hands in silence or just post their opinions here, those guys get to sit for a few hours pontificating about all their sports thoughts, all while getting paid, not even counting the freebies that usually come with jobs like that.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
I have class in the AM and I listen to the Howard Simon show during Schopp's show. Can't stand the guys personality, I hate most "I have a radio show/newspaper column/TV segment so my opinion is better" guys. I use the radio as a place to find different views about sports, I don't rely on it for factual information. If these guys really knew what was going on they'd have better jobs.

This is just a silly argument. What do you think they do each show? Give you a viewpoint. They probably get paid good money and the hours are no sweat. Sounds like a sweet gig to me. Not everyone will like a talk show host but people seem to think talk show hosts are there to tell the listener how to think.

I see nothing wrong with them trying to have legitimate takes on things and not just push the same, old school sports agendas. I respect that, and I respect that they don't kiss the ass of the organizations that they're the flagship for. Don't you? Nothing worse than listening to a paid lackey on the air.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
This is just a silly argument. What do you think they do each show? Give you a viewpoint. They probably get paid good money and the hours are no sweat. Sounds like a sweet gig to me. Not everyone will like a talk show host but people seem to think talk show hosts are there to tell the listener how to think.

I see nothing wrong with them trying to have legitimate takes on things and not just push the same, old school sports agendas. I respect that, and I respect that they don't kiss the ass of the organizations that they're the flagship for. Don't you? Nothing worse than listening to a paid lackey on the air.

There's no argument at all. I don't like Schopp or personalities similar to him. I'm sure plenty of people like them that's why they have a job, I'm not in that list.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
I actually think they have pretty good jobs. While most sports fans wring their hands in silence or just post their opinions here, those guys get to sit for a few hours pontificating about all their sports thoughts, all while getting paid, not even counting the freebies that usually come with jobs like that.

By better jobs I meant they'd be coaches and gms.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
"Coach Sal", as you call him, makes some of THE dumbest analysis of hockey on the local airwaves. I cringe whenever he opens his mouth on the subject.

Maybe it's because he is first and foremost a football guy? He was a football coach, not hockey. Sals a great guy and much better then Schopp and Bulldog.

'
someone go tell the Bisons that, because they're professionals

Yeah they are just as professional as the Rochester Americans. AAA is the minor leagues. Calling them professionals is like saying the Buffalo Silverbacks are a pro basketball team :laugh:

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
The problem with the Buffalo media is they have used the poor state of Buffalo sports as an excuse to be bad at their jobs. Instead of taking shots at the teams, how about some detailed analysis on topics? Maybe learn something about *why* the teams have been bad. You get more of that from blogs and forums than you do from the sports writers.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah they are just as professional as the Rochester Americans. AAA is the minor leagues. Calling them professionals is like saying the Buffalo Silverbacks are a pro basketball team :laugh:

You seriously have no concept of the history and structure of baseball if you believe that MiLB is the same as the ABA.

Also, the Rochester Americans? Still a professional hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad