Have all the goal reviews taken away from your enjoyment of hockey?

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I don’t recall trying to change your mind on what offside is. What a weird thing to say.

But offside is offside.
And it’s called by linesmen.
Linesmen are human.
Humans make errors.

I’ll try to draw a parallel: consider instances when the puck crosses the line after the net is lifted off its pegs. The referee can determine that the natural course of play would have resulted in a goal. They call good goal. I remember a day when no matter what, if the net was off, play was dead. No goal. But why did they change that? If the letter of the law at the time was no goal, and that was bunk. They wanted humans to determine what was reasonable and what wasn’t.

The same reasoning can be used with a close-call offside. Did that sliver of white that needed six minutes and footage only Toronto has access to have a large enough impact on the play to take a goal off the board? Maybe, maybe not.
As often as the officials get subjective calls wrong, I can’t fathom the circumstances involved for someone to think giving them more subjective calls to make is a good idea

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
As often as the officials get subjective calls wrong, I can’t fathom the circumstances involved for someone to think giving them more subjective calls to make is a good idea
Except the example I cited above was a great change, and allowed for human interpretation. And it made sense.

I get the anti-official rhetoric, but don’t just stamp that meme whenever officials are brought up.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Only gripe is the offside one because it only takes goals away never adds any. You can’t challenge a play that was whistled down that was actually onside. Goalie interference has and will always be a gong show.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Except the example I cited above was a great change, and allowed for human interpretation. And it made sense.

I get the anti-official rhetoric, but don’t just stamp that meme whenever officials are brought up.
Subjectively, you think it was a great chance.

Thank you for proving my point on subjectivity being a good thing

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
Subjectively, you think it was a great chance.

Thank you for proving my point on subjectivity being a good thing
So you prefer it called the old way? Net off pegs, dead play? Come on now, present an opinion other than “subjectivity bad.”

Personally I like my hockey played by people, officiated by people, watched by people. Otherwise NHL2K is the perfect solution.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
The grey area lies within the limited view of the linesmen in real-time, not with the rule. I would argue the margin of error they inherently have is part of the game. And with those margins, the minuscule offsides that have taken away goals is unacceptable.
Yea it's like getting pulled over for going 1km over the speed limit because a camera caught you. Ya technically it's against the rules but c'mon man what are we doing here. It wasn't even the cops that noticed it was the damn cameras

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
So you prefer it called the old way? Net off pegs, dead play? Come on now, present an opinion other than “subjectivity bad.”

Personally I like my hockey played by people, officiated by people, watched by people. Otherwise NHL2K is the perfect solution.
congratulations?

SakicsSnowblower

Mar 17, 2022
Saskatchewan
Always that thinking of "I don't believe it until the puck drop at center.." in the back of my mind.
Exactly this^ nearly every zone entry is so close that you know they’re gonna consider challenging it. Don’t begin celebrating until play resumes.

Linesman do a phenomenal job on like 98% of zone entires, just live with the rare mistakes. The game isn’t meant to be perfect.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
they just need to get rid of offside challenges. who gives a shit if someone is offside by 3cm. one bad goal where duchene was off by a mile is no reason to ruin the sport. there will at best be one bad offside like every 10 years so who actually gives a shit

Magic 8 Ball

Sep 27, 2021
The Netherworld
It's annoying during the regular season with two bottom dwellers playing out the year. During the playoffs, it's worth the wait

BTW, nothing compares to the ridiculousness of short track speedskating where every race seems to go through a review at the end to see if any fouls were committed. It's ten minutes before half the skaters are disqualified, and some guy who never even placed is named the winner

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I gotta say that a goal called back because 30 seconds before the play was offside by half an inch doesn‘t please me. But overall it‘s better if there‘s challenges and video review: overall the advantage dwarfs the disadvantage.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
TBH, I prefer to wait some time for confirmation (especially when most of cases are quite obvious), than hear for months how other team GOT ROBBED and DESERVED TO WIN!!!!11111

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
I gotta say that a goal called back because 30 seconds before the play was offside by half an inch doesn‘t please me. But overall it‘s better if there‘s challenges and video review: overall the advantage dwarfs the disadvantage.
I would agree with your last sentence about video review as a whole. Reviewing if the puck crossed the goal line, pick played with a high stick, continuation of play (for net off pegs), GI, incidental GI, absolutely is to the betterment of the game. But these are all directly involved with the play that resulted in a goal. Offside simply is not.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
I just celebrate every goal the same way and then if it ends up not counting, I yell at the TV, unfairly glare at my wife laughing, and then head over to HF and make a post complaining about the refs, the NHL being trash, and Marner’s father. Thought that was what everyone did.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I definitely hate how every time a goal is scored the camera pans to coaches looming over their video monitors like gremlins seeing how they can ruin the fun

• Haha
Reactions: longtime lurker

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
But that half inch is offside…

And no matter how much people like to complain it doesn’t give a team an advantage if it was 30 seconds earlier, getting a zone entry you didn’t actually earn IS the advantage…

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'd rather get it right, and I sure as hell don't want to give any more power to the referees due to the ongoing misconduct from those crooks. We're probably only a couple of years away from AI being able to solve most of the problems for us in a much more timely manner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad