Have all the goal reviews taken away from your enjoyment of hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
But that half inch is offside…

And no matter how much people like to complain it doesn’t give a team an advantage if it was 30 seconds earlier, getting a zone entry you didn’t actually earn IS the advantage…
And we see by-the-book slashing, holding, and interference by defending players on every possession, dump-ins that were probably icing, and iffy line changes. All of those things give an advantage. None of them are, nor should they be, video reviewed to the letter of the law.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
And we see by-the-book slashing, holding, and interference by defending players on every possession, dump-ins that were probably icing, and iffy line changes. All of those things give an advantage. None of them are, nor should they be, video reviewed to the letter of the law.
So since officials miss some calls, we should be fine with missing even more?

Bizarre logic…

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
So since officials miss some calls, we should be fine with missing even more?

Bizarre logic…
Of course that’s bizarre logic, and not in the slightest was it the logic I was using.

My point is that “missed” calls fall within the grey area to which we have all grown accustomed. Not missed, but acceptable.

Dump the puck in six inches from center ice? Close enough.

Did that guy get off in time, or was his left skate still on the ice? Eh, maybe.

Did that guy slash him, or just make stick contact the way his coach taught him? Good question.

Was that interference? I dunno. Hey Paul, did you start the stopwatch from when the attacking player who no longer has possession or control of the puck initiated contact with the defending player in an effort to obstruct their ability to play the puck or an opponent?

But no, sliver of white between skate and blue—bam, no goal. The goal line, of course, being 60’ away.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Of course that’s bizarre logic, and not in the slightest was it the logic I was using.

My point is that “missed” calls fall within the grey area to which we have all grown accustomed. Not missed, but acceptable.

Dump the puck in six inches from center ice? Close enough.

Did that guy get off in time, or was his left skate still on the ice? Eh, maybe.

Did that guy slash him, or just make stick contact the way his coach taught him? Good question.

Was that interference? I dunno. Hey Paul, did you start the stopwatch from when the attacking player who no longer has possession or control of the puck initiated contact with the defending player in an effort to obstruct their ability to play the puck or an opponent?

But no, sliver of white between skate and blue—bam, no goal. The goal line, of course, being 60’ away.
It’s exactly the logic you’re using when you say they aren’t reviewed by video…

Especially when most of your examples are very much subjective (only icing isn’t, and if it leads to a goal, that should also be reviewed)

It absolutely boggles my mind that people are willing to accept the wrong call because other things also get called wrong

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
These threads ALWAYS come down to one single viewpoint:

"My team (or the team I am currently rooting for) should be allowed to cheat when it benefits us, however, the other team (or the team I am not currently rooting for) should NOT be allowed to cheat when it benefits them."

That's it. All of this bitching about reviews "ruining the game" boil down to exactly that. It's NEVER a team that gets the goal or is successful in a challenge that creates these threads bitching about it. It's ALWAYS the fans on the wrong side of the review that don't get the goal or call they want.

Which is bonkers to me given how many other threads there are out there about how crappy refereeing is in this league.

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
It’s exactly the logic you’re using when you say they aren’t reviewed by video…
No I did not. You say missed. I say acceptable. I see infractions on every possession, whether a hook, a hold, interference, or icing. The game would be unwatchable if they were all called by the book, to the exact letter of the law.
Especially when most of your examples are very much subjective (only icing isn’t, and if it leads to a goal, that should also be reviewed)
No they are not. They have specific wording. Very specific wording. But surprise surprise, they leave it up the officials to interpret. Review icing? 🤦
It absolutely boggles my mind that people are willing to accept the wrong call because other things also get called wrong
This is once again a misinterpretation of what I mean. “Called wrong” and “grey area” do not mean the same thing.

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019

"My team (or the team I am currently rooting for) should be allowed to cheat when it benefits us, however, the other team (or the team I am not currently rooting for) should NOT be allowed to cheat when it benefits them."

That's it. All of this bitching about reviews "ruining the game" boil down to exactly that. It's NEVER a team that gets the goal or is successful in a challenge that creates these threads bitching about it. It's ALWAYS the fans on the wrong side of the review that don't get the goal or call they want.

Which is bonkers to me given how many other threads there are out there about how crappy refereeing is in this league.
I always change the channel when a good goal is negated by this ticky-tack offsides garbage, even when it benefits my team. With ESPN+, I have other options.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I used to think getting everything right is the most important thing. But I've gotten really tired of being nervous that there was an offside every goal the Rangers score. Yesterday, I legit didn't even celebrate one of the most important goals of the season because I thought they were going to overturn it. I know as always on the main boards when I complain about something that impacts my team that people will say I'm biased. But others have to experience this right?
Couldn't agree more, and I'm always surprised more people don't agree whenever I bring it up.

I was very much in favor of reviews when they started, but now the excitement of a goal (or touchdown) is greatly diminished for me. I don't celebrate and enjoy big plays like I used to. Instead of of jumping up and down going crazy as a natural reaction, its more of a golf clap followed by a small fist pump to myself a minute later when I realize the play isn't going to be called back.

I would sacrifice messing up some calls to bring that enjoyment back.
(But, apparently most people are lucky enough to not be bothered by this)

That's not what it is about for me. At all.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I always change the channel when a good goal is negated by this ticky-tack offsides garbage, even when it benefits my team. With ESPN+, I have other options.
What about when a goalie makes a close save and the puck was ALMOST near the goal line? Do you get upset when they don't count it?

Last edited:

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
East Aurora, NY
Yep big time, in fact if I even think a play is offside, I start rooting for the defensive team to clear it so that my team can have a better/cleaner entry. It's pretty whip-lashing to root for my team then against my team, then for my team again. I also at this point never celebrate goals until the puck is dropped at center ice because my first instinct for every single goal is that somehow some-way it's going to be called back. It 100% has affected my enjoyment of the sport to the point where I want the pendulum to swing WAY back the other way to have literally no video reviews at all.

The NHL product sucks really hard right now.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It's definitely a detriment to my enjoyment of the game, even ones where I don't really have a rooting interest. The worst is when the team scores after 30+ seconds, because you're keeping in mind "this might not count" the whole time, even though being offsides by a tiny bit barely affected the play, and there were probably hundreds of such goals scored previously that were allowed to stand.

Plus, it's peak NHL that they're obsessed with "getting it right" in this particular instance, but a ref can be a foot away from a guy committing a textbook boarding penalty, watch it happen, shrug, and keep his arm down, and that's totally fine.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Honestly yes, but just to a point. Not enough were I'd want a clear no goal to stay a goal in a key playoff game because there's no review whatsoever.

I'd be fine with a time clock on offsides challenges (if >10 seconds of game clock tick off after the zone entry, no challenge allowed). Put a little more onus back on the defending team still needing to play defense.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
No I did not. You say missed. I say acceptable. I see infractions on every possession, whether a hook, a hold, interference, or icing. The game would be unwatchable if they were all called by the book, to the exact letter of the law.

No they are not. They have specific wording. Very specific wording. But surprise surprise, they leave it up the officials to interpret. Review icing? 🤦

This is once again a misinterpretation of what I mean. “Called wrong” and “grey area” do not mean the same thing.
If you’re going to try and tell me that slashing isn’t a subjective penalty, you’ve lost the plot to much to even bother with…

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
If you’re going to try and tell me that slashing isn’t a subjective penalty, you’ve lost the plot to much to even bother with…
It is subjective, insofar as how it is called. So is holding. And hooking. And interference. A good defensive coach will tell his defender that he had better not let an attacking player get by him without putting his hands or stick on him. You see this nearly every dump-in, in front of the net, in the corners, etc. They are left to the discretion of the referees, and are accepted by the players to a reasonable extent.

But make no mistake about it, those plays are by the book penalty-worthy, and they give the infracting team an advantage that may lead to a goal.

I’ll leave it up to you to figure out why those plays aren’t a big deal. And that reasoning isn’t dissimilar to why 1-inch offside isn’t either.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I don't mind the goal line reviews but the offsides reviews are awful and don't solve a real problem.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I remember when Gretzky was playing at his peak in Edmonton, destroying not only all of the records in hockey but also becoming the greatest athlete in the history of team sports statistically, and would get brutally criticized because he was smallish didn't play like Gordie Howe.

Don't know what you got til it's gone.

Imagine if the Rangers didn't win in 94 like Buffalo 99 because they had a Brett Hull in crease situation.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I actually like the goal line reviews.

I would much rather have that one right and am happy to wait if there is a review. (Note: I don't watch any games real time I always watch on tape delay so 1 minute or 10 minutes doesn't normally affect me)

I don't mind the offside reviews. When the other team scores I get to hold out hope for a minute or two that the goal gets called back. When my team scores and the rest of the house is asleep I no longer wake them up as I think, hold on this one could come back. LOL

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
No, I want them to get the calls right as often as possible. If that means spending a few minutes to get the correct offside call then so be it.

I don’t care how long the puck was in the zone after an illegal entry, I don’t care if it was only an inch offside, if the illegal entry had correctly stopped play then the goal would have never occurred, so it should be disallowed, IMO.

I get the gut feeling that people who claim they can’t enjoy goals (or the entire sport) anymore because of review are being disingenuous, or maybe they’re just the sort who look for negativity anywhere they can.

Reactions: KeydGV21

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
I don’t care how long the puck was in the zone after an illegal entry, I don’t care if it was only an inch offside, if the illegal entry had correctly stopped play then the goal would have never occurred, so it should be disallowed, IMO.
Out of curiosity, prior to the implementation of offside review, was this an issue you were looking for the league to fix? Or were you simply happy with the change when it came about? Genuine question.

Because that’s where one of my biggest issues lies—I believe they made a solution to a problem that didn’t need fixing.
I get the gut feeling that people who claim they can’t enjoy goals (or the entire sport) anymore because of review are being disingenuous, or maybe they’re just the sort who look for negativity anywhere they can.
Not me. Just the opposite, actually. The flaws in our game are a part of our game. I can’t remember the last time I got upset with a missed call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad