Have all the goal reviews taken away from your enjoyment of hockey?

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Since I disagree I have a stick up my butt? K.

What are you 6 years old?
No I said your think of it not making sense is what makes you have a rod. Its not a matter of disagreement with that statement just a failure on your part to understand why someone might not want the game to slow down over something that doesn't give an advantage

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Just watch more Zach Hyman. It will numb you to the pain of goals coming back.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Ok, so what about every other zone entry leading up to the goal? Should we make sure every dump-in actually crossed the red line? Gotta review the line changes, make sure no one jumped early.

It’s arbitrary. If the refs don’t catch it, tough shit, they miss other calls constantly.

Make sure the ones we see go in go in, there's a reason a bunch of things can't be challenged.

Not hard to make sure the goals were actually goals, especially the 2OT game winner.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The goal reviews with todays technology should be way quicker so yes they could improve the way it's done. I sometimes feel the time taken on something we can clearly see on TV is ridiculous.

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
So it's fine if some plays are treated differently than others even though they're the same because the refs got it wrong. That doesn't make sense to me.
Reviewing if the puck crossed the goal line is a single factor. Calling a no-goal because a skate was 1 inch from the blue line making the assumption that it (and only it) led directly to the goal.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Everyone here agrees with the bolded. That is not in question. But when a goal has been called back because a player was offside by an inch or two, we have essentially thrown the baby out with the bath water.

I don't agree with your last sentence. If we allow an inch or two then why not allow 3 inches? There would be too much gray area. I'll take the correct call and a minute or two of waiting.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No I said your think of it not making sense is what makes you have a rod. Its not a matter of disagreement with that statement just a failure on your part to understand why someone might not want the game to slow down over something that doesn't give an advantage
Reviewing if the puck crossed the goal line is a single factor. Calling a no-goal because a skate was 1 inch from the blue line making the assumption that it (and only it) led directly to the goal.
I'd rather there be no offsides than treating the same play differently based on referee discretion. I don't think that means i have a stick up my butt.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No. Get the rules right.

It’s a professional sports league, they play a game, games have rules. Enforce the rules or you have nothing.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The only thing that has taken my enjoyment of hockey away is being a Columbus fan these last few years :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No. That being said, reviews for me are meant to overturn clear officiating f***ups. If a review takes more than a couple of minutes, much less five or more, to determine that they have sufficient evidence to overturn, then I have a hard time believing that it was conclusive.

Evergreen

Clearly there's a difference between making the game crawl to a stop and checking to see if a 2OT winning goal counts.
But clearly then you think there is a point where “getting it right” makes the game less exciting. I think spending 5 minutes determining whether the puck was a millimeter offside on an entry 45 seconds before a goal in the first period is not worth the impact it has on the pace and emotion of the game.

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
I don't agree with your last sentence. If we allow an inch or two then why not allow 3 inches? There would be too much gray area. I'll take the correct call and a minute or two of waiting.
That’s my point though. I don’t believe we should have ever gotten to the point of frame-by-frame review of a play that might not have had any direct effect on the goal in question. A call can be correct and also be not in the spirit of the game.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
But clearly then you think there is a point where “getting it right” makes the game less exciting. I think spending 5 minutes determining whether the puck was a millimeter offside on an entry 45 seconds before a goal in the first period is not worth the impact it has on the pace and emotion of the game.

I don't really care to continue this, short of microscopic view of pucks over lines there's always going to be some grey area, make it as right as they can, but continuing this conversation is meaningless.

Short of removing coaches challenges, this will always exist.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I hate that I'm watching every zone entry like the devil these days. "Uhhuh that was a little sketchy hope they dont score". So much fun.

Games are decided by other people who watch the zone entries like me but actually get paid for it. It's insane and everyone who's ok with this are really lacking in humanity. Half robot hivemind have to get it right hurrr durrr
They are decided by the players who can’t enter the zone in a legal fashion

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Of course it's ruined the viewing experience.

People say they want the right call but half of these called back goal reviews are because a dude was half an inch offside after 30 seconds of zone time.

It's such a buzz kill for no reason. I can live with mistakes, would rather that then what we have now

Reactions: Planetov and McRpro

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That’s my point though. I don’t believe we should have ever gotten to the point of frame-by-frame review of a play that might not have had any direct effect on the goal in question. A call can be correct and also be not in the spirit of the game.
Offside is offside.... there is no grey area. I get what you're saying but it's literally a black and white rule. Again, there should be no offside if we're deferentiating degrees of offside.

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
Offside is offside.... there is no grey area. I get what you're saying but it's literally a black and white rule. Again, there should be no offside if we're deferentiating degrees of offside.
The grey area lies within the limited view of the linesmen in real-time, not with the rule. I would argue the margin of error they inherently have is part of the game. And with those margins, the minuscule offsides that have taken away goals is unacceptable.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The grey area lies within the limited view of the linesmen in real-time, not with the rule. I would argue the margin of error they inherently have is part of the game. And with those margins, the minuscule offsides that have taken away goals is unacceptable.
Offside is offside buddy. You won't change my mind on that.

Same as balls and strikes. Human error shouldn't exist.

Reactions: KeydGV21

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
They are decided by the players who can’t enter the zone in a legal fashion

Beep-boop! You are factually 100% correct! Beep-boop!

giphy.gif

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It’s become part of the game now and all sports use it now. Offside is pretty cut and dry. If you’re offside, you’re offside.

The goalie interference is frustrating though cause the league always changes their standards on what goalie interferenc is when it shouldn’t be too hard but I think that’s partly due to the refs not wanting to change their calls on the ice cause the league over protects them too much.

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
Offside is offside buddy. You won't change my mind on that.

Same as balls and strikes. Human error shouldn't exist.
I don’t recall trying to change your mind on what offside is. What a weird thing to say.

But offside is offside.
And it’s called by linesmen.
Linesmen are human.
Humans make errors.

I’ll try to draw a parallel: consider instances when the puck crosses the line after the net is lifted off its pegs. The referee can determine that the natural course of play would have resulted in a goal. They call good goal. I remember a day when no matter what, if the net was off, play was dead. No goal. But why did they change that? If the letter of the law at the time was no goal, and that was bunk. They wanted humans to determine what was reasonable and what wasn’t.

The same reasoning can be used with a close-call offside. Did that sliver of white that needed six minutes and footage only Toronto has access to have a large enough impact on the play to take a goal off the board? Maybe, maybe not.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Evergreen

I don't really care to continue this, short of microscopic view of pucks over lines there's always going to be some grey area, make it as right as they can, but continuing this conversation is meaningless.

Short of removing coaches challenges, this will always exist.
We should eliminate the coach’s challenge.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad