Have all the goal reviews taken away from your enjoyment of hockey?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Remember the greatest joy you ever felt seeing your team score an important playoff goal. The absolute euphoria of it. And then take that away and replace it with the anxious wait to see if it is going to be reviewed.

It's not good.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I used to think getting everything right is the most important thing. But I've gotten really tired of being nervous that there was an offside every goal the Rangers score. Yesterday, I legit didn't even celebrate one of the most important goals of the season because I thought they were going to overturn it. I know as always on the main boards when I complain about something that impacts my team that people will say I'm biased. But others have to experience this right?
Bring back the "were they in the crease" reviews!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Yes, but only because most of the goal reviews appear to be wrong, or contrary to the general understanding of the rules.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Yes, and it doesn't help when the broadcast cues quickly to the opposing coach grasping for the iPad looking for any reason to negate the goal.

I tempered my reaction to Pastrnak's Game 7 OT goal, as well as McDavid's the other night, as both were close on the entries.

Hockey is a fast, improvised game. The reason for most missed offside calls is they happen faster than the human eye can perceive. The linesmen were in proper position on many, but in real time the amount of encroachment is imperceptible.

In s sport in which scoring is difficult enough, I dislike the process.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’m with the OP. Hate all the reviews and especially the arbitrary nature of what is reviewable and what is not.

Millimeter offside? Let’s have a 10 minute review. A defender is cross checked to the ice allowing an offensive player an easy tap in? Sorry, thems the breaks.

Illegal things that lead to a goal happen all the time. Some guy being a half inch offside 20 seconds before the goal is scored is just such a lame thing to take a stance on.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, and it doesn't help when the broadcast cues quickly to the opposing coach grasping for the iPad looking for any reason to negate the goal.

I tempered my reaction to Pastrnak's Game 7 OT goal, as well as McDavid's the other night, as both were close on the entries.

Hockey is a fast, improvised game. The reason for most missed offside calls is they happen faster than the human eye can perceive. The linesmen were in proper position on many, but in real time the amount of encroachment is imperceptible.

In s sport in which scoring is difficult enough, I dislike the process.

Forget all this spontaneous goal celebration business, the real main event in hockey starts with the coaches looking at little ipads. That's where the real drama begins. If they can make more space for it by cutting out those ugly goal replays it would be best.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
A little bit of column A, and a little bit of column B.

I appreciate getting the call right. However, I also hate the feeling of being stuck in limbo between a goal scored and the puck dropping. You celebrate the goal, but then the replays come along and you start analyzing every detail which could potentially waive it off. This feeling is made even worse with how long they give coaches the opportunity to challenge.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No.

I feel like the offside review complaints are outdated, I can't remember the last time I saw a minute offside review since they made it a penalty if you're wrong. Seems like punching air to mention it now.

GTI is frustrating because they suck at consistency.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There should be a time limit on offside challenges.

If the puck is offside and the goal is scores within...3 or 4 seconds of entering zone? Sure - no goal.

But if the puck is offside....and play continues for 30+ seconds in the zone before a goal is scored? Too bad - goal counts

10 seconds is probably a good limit, but maybe a bit more/less is fine too

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
There should be a time limit on offside challenges.

If the puck is offside and the goal is scores within...3 or 4 seconds of entering zone? Sure - no goal.

But if the puck is offside....and play continues for 30+ seconds in the zone before a goal is scored? Too bad - goal counts

10 seconds is probably a good limit, but maybe a bit more/less is fine too

So, the offside rule can be broken as long as score a goal 10 seconds or more after entering the zone illegally?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
a goal review has never taken my enjoyment out of the game just score a fair goal that abides by the NHL rules what are we even talking about here Jesus Christ

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I’d like to see 3 rules with it. 1) the challenge should have to come from the bench staff with no communication from the video staff (not practical given todays game.. so I won’t stick on it). 2) the challenge has to be communicated within 30 seconds of the goal. 3) the review had a strict 30 second time limit. If you can’t overturn it definitively in 30 seconds, the call stands.

I think that clears up the spirit of the rule.. to get rid of the egregiously missed calls. The 2cm offside reversals that take 3-4 mins are tough to see.

Reactions: gump116

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad