Hate to say it but...

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Lol relax kid. Just a rough patch in the season, happens to every team. If this is our worst then that is great cause are worst would be .500 hockey and are best is closer to .700

634 posts and he calls LG kid. I love this ****.:)

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
The Olympics can't come soon enough...

:laugh: For what? Can you indicate one... ONE player that is coming back post-olympics that is going to make a difference? If history is correct, post-Olympic play should suck for Les Habs due to the makeup of the the team. We're in for some pretty crappy hockey folks.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I don't care about the Leafs. This isn't about the Leafs. If you want to follow the Leafs, go to their boards and cheer for them. Only reason why we should care about them at all is because we're in the same division competing for points.

Well done. 150 post kid: You just got LG'd. Better raise your game. :)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'm expecting things to be worse after the Olympics, not better. We have a veteran team and lots of guys going to the Olympics. When they come back they'll be facing fresh young kids, all rested up, chomping at the bit and ready to go.

Said it last year, saying it this year: Habs are WAY too old. I thought Bergy would understand this, given his time in Chicago.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh, it had a lot to do with Price too. Don't for one minute act like those soft goals were on the D. This year it's not on Price at all. Last year? A lot of it was on him. People were so quick to exhaulting Emelin to 2nd coming of Larry Robinson levels just to protect Price's numbers but we see this year that Emelin really isn't THAT good. You can blame the injury, but this is untrue as well since his coverage was not good last year when he was healthy. He was physical though and that's how the myth was created.

This is not like last year. To say so would be disingenuous.
Price wasn't particularly sharp during that slump last year but (as I said back then) he got no help. His fault was that he wasn't spectacular during that slump and I felt like folks came after him because they expected him to raise his game and save us - that didn't happen. So as I said last season, he could carry maybe some of the blame but I felt it was on the team.

We're seeing a repeat of that again this year but this time around Price hasn't let in soft goals almost at all. He's been super solid and we're still getting killed.

I personally feel a little vindicated over some of the debates that happened last year with what we're seeing now. You can't ask for better goaltending than we're getting now and we're still getting crushed.

Now... how much longer until Price's play slips too? Its got to be demoralizing out there right now.
:laugh: For what? Can you indicate one... ONE player that is coming back post-olympics that is going to make a difference? If history is correct, post-Olympic play should suck for Les Habs due to the makeup of the the team. We're in for some pretty crappy hockey folks.
I think if nothing else it will get these guys out of a losing environment and maybe clear their heads. As per above, Price is basically being thrown to the wolves here. Nothing would be better for him than a little trip with the best players in the world away from this mess.

Maybe he comes back physically tired, but mentally it's got to help these guys out.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Hockey is a very physical game. The Habs were beat up pretty good after 40 games last year and same thing is happening this year. The combination of age(Briere,Gionta,Markov,Boullion) and lack of size(Briere,Gionta,Markov,Boullion,
Desharnais,Gallagher,Diaz)enables other teams to wear us out. Once worn down the confidence goes and its extremely hard to get back. It would take one helluva coaching effort to get a great attitude out of this group.
Four of the above mentioned players are UFAs and should be let go.
Only one,Markov will bring any return this year,and the return will diminish rapidly by next year.
So the starting point is Markov at the deadline and no extensions for the others because return will be negligible.
May as well let Beaulieu stay and bring in Tinordi and Patteryn to start next year.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Price wasn't particularly sharp during that slump last year but (as I said back then) he got no help. His fault was that he wasn't spectacular during that slump and I felt like folks came after him because they expected him to raise his game and save us - that didn't happen. So as I said last season, he could carry maybe some of the blame but I felt it was on the team.

We're seeing a repeat of that again this year but this time around Price hasn't let in soft goals almost at all. He's been super solid and we're still getting killed.

I personally feel a little vindicated over some of the debates that happened last year with what we're seeing now. You can't ask for better goaltending than we're getting now and we're still getting crushed.

Now... how much longer until Price's play slips too? Its got to be demoralizing out there right now.

Price isn't the only goalie who has to play in front of a weak defensive team. No one makes excuses for Dubnyk playing like poop.

I'm not sure why you would feel vindicated. Price didn't play well at the end of last year and into the playoffs along with the D. He's playing very well now. Why not just leave it at that?

If you are the chosen one, you have to raise your game even if your team is playing poorly. That is the difference between the elites and the scrubs. Price's game is nothing close to what it was at the end of last year. He's getting scored on but he is making some miraculous saves. End of last year he was letting in bad goals, period. So lets not act like Price played like poop because the D was bad. I thought the excuse was because Emelin wasn't there? We see that was BS too.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price isn't the only goalie who has to play in front of a weak defensive team. No one makes excuses for Dubnyk playing like poop.

I'm not sure why you would feel vindicated. Price didn't play well at the end of last year and into the playoffs along with the D. He's playing very well now. Why not just leave it at that?

If you are the chosen one, you have to raise your game even if your team is playing poorly. That is the difference between the elites and the scrubs. Price's game is nothing close to what it was at the end of last year. He's getting scored on but he is making some miraculous saves. End of last year he was letting in bad goals, period. So lets not act like Price played like poop because the D was bad. I thought the excuse was because Emelin wasn't there? We see that was BS too.
I stand by what I said. And yes, I feel vindicated.

So many people said that the fault was Price. I said it was the defense. Now we're seeing the same thing happen all over again.

Like I said, not otherworldly last year during that slump and he could've been better. But folks pointed the finger at him and that's not where they belonged. Yes, he'd let in a softie here or there. But then four more would go in that were on the D and we'd blame him for this too.

Yes, he's incredible now. It's just that much more clear this time around and very black and white. Like I said last year though, the real problem was the team in front of him and we're seeing that again. And it's not just the D, we can't ****ing score now.

Last edited:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I stand by what I said. And yes, I feel vindicated.

So many people said that the fault was Price. I said it was the defense. Now we're seeing the same thing happen all over again.

Like I said, not otherworldly last year during that slump and he could've been better. But folks pointed the finger at him and that's not where they belonged. Yes, he'd let in a softie here or there. But then four more would go in that were on the D and we'd blame him for this too.

Yes, he's incredible now. It's just that much more clear this time around and very black and white. Like I said last year though, the real problem was the team in front of him and we're seeing that again. And it's not just the D, we can't ****ing score now.

Another word for you to look up is vindication. It implies that you have proven yourself in some way against the opinion of others .

You have been wrong as the word wrong means .

Price is playing well this year because of a connection with
A new goalie coach . Nobody on this board can make it simpler for you. Even the same media you misquote are now in unison stating Price had problems he's largely ironed out with a new coach. If you watched the games you'd hear these words .

The team has the same defense as last year, the goalie results better this year.

Emelin was injured last year , he was injured at the start of this year . The goalie results better this year.

Even your hand waving chicken little arguments don't work for people paying attention . The team as a whole is falling apart from last year you say which makes it hard to argue for Prices 35th best save pct last year not being largely about him.

I am not qualified to assess you about the fantasy world you've created for yourself about this particular player but I know you haven't even had your blind chicken moment when it comes to assessing the goaltending situation.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Another word for you to look up is vindication. It implies that you have proven yourself in some way against the opinion of others .

:laugh: Says the guy who argued that we should dump Price for a bag of pucks. I'm surprised you can even show your face in here man.
A new goalie coach . Nobody on this board can make it simpler for you. Even the same media you misquote are now in unison stating Price had problems he's largely ironed out with a new coach. If you watched the games you'd hear these words .

The team has the same defense as last year, the goalie results better this year.
The team has started to tank now as it did before. We've been mediocre/bad all year but now the games have gotten worse. The only difference is that it took longer to happen this time around...

If you watched the games, you would know this. Have you not seen how destroyed we've been over the past week or so? And Price's save percentage has dropped close to ten points in that time span.

And... according to you, that's all that matters. The numbers are the numbers right? That's what you told us. Except they don't. And anyone who watches the games knows this.

Emelin was injured last year , he was injured at the start of this year . The goalie results better this year.

Even your hand waving chicken little arguments don't work for people paying attention . The team as a whole is falling apart from last year you say which makes it hard to argue for Prices 35th best save pct last year not being largely about him.
And Price's save percentage is plummeting now. His save percentage over the past few weeks is well under .900 Again, you don't want to talk about this though. On the one hand you told us that the numbers were the numbers and now that those numbers are plummeting it's a new story... why is that man? Why do the numbers only matter when they fit your narrative? Before it was save percentage is all that matters and now it's - well he's better because of a new goalie coach.

I guess MT really is responsible for getting Subban to the Olympics too right? Canada might as well put Waite in net too.
I am not qualified to assess you about the fantasy world you've created for yourself about this particular player but I know you haven't even had your blind chicken moment when it comes to assessing the goaltending situation.
You aren't qualified to talk about hockey at all. Your blind hate for Price over the years has been laughable in the extreme. You have zero credibility on this subject and everyone knows it.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Thank you!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think if nothing else it will get these guys out of a losing environment and maybe clear their heads. As per above, Price is basically being thrown to the wolves here. Nothing would be better for him than a little trip with the best players in the world away from this mess.

Maybe he comes back physically tired, but mentally it's got to help these guys out.

In the above paragraph lies the "E=Mc2" of hockey. It's the recognition that so much of hockey is mental attitude. We talk about exchanging players like the whole thing is a math equation, but we underestimate the importance of a winning environment. Once you know how to win, you're never satisfied with mediocrity. To know how to win, you first have to see it in action. That's why the Olympics might be the best thing for our guys.

Yeah, they'll be tired, but I don't give a damn about this season's playoffs at this point. Let Price, Subban, Emelin experience what it's like to be accountable to a real winning standard, let them play alongside guys who don't accept mental lapses, let them watch teammates who know how to play big, and they'll NEVER be satisfied with less.

Right now, the Habs have too many passengers and vets who can't be taught anything new. There's chronic coasting, multiple mental lapses, blown leads - all symptoms of a fatalistic acceptance of losing. It's not a lack of talent, it's a lack of urgency. When a team blows a 3-goal lead, it's not a talent differential, it's an unconscious slowing down because the team standard allows it. When a team goes into a two-month slide with no major injuries, it's not a lack of talent, it's a vacuum of leadership where the bar has sunk and no one's there to lift it up.

Someone has to lead. It should be Therrien. The fact that the problem persists suggests he's losing the room. It should be guys like Gionta and Gorges, but it's tough to lead by example when your own game is suffering. Half our guys should be embarrassed and angry at their performance, but it only works if someone's embarrassing them and making them angry. Is there someone setting the standard? Are the players listening to anyone these days, or is there an unspoken acceptance of 'getting it over with', instead of 'getting it done'? I know you can't be 100% every single game, but it's at those moments when you aren't doing it for yourself that you do it for someone else. If the Habs don't have that 'someone else', it's time to find one, starting with a new coach.

The talent hasn't changed, only the results. That's attitude. That's environment. Something has to change, or be changed.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Wings 3 points back now. Folks still confident that the playoffs are in the bag?

BTW, fire Carey Price.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
Wings 3 points back now. Folks still confident that the playoffs are in the bag?

BTW, fire Carey Price.

Does it REALLY matter if this team makes the playoffs or not?

We're not going anywhere. At best we'd serve as a spoiler, like we almost did to Boston in 2011 and we likely did to the Caps/Pens in 2010. At worst, we'd be a nothing team like we were in 2012. So who really cares if we MAKE the playoffs? Better served by a lottery draft pick from missing them than we are by squeaking in and dropping out in the first round. This team is going no where until we can stop being a perimeter team in the O-zone and a swarm team in the D-zone. More size! More size! MORE SIZE!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Does it REALLY matter if this team makes the playoffs or not?

We're not going anywhere. At best we'd serve as a spoiler, like we almost did to Boston in 2011 and we likely did to the Caps/Pens in 2010. At worst, we'd be a nothing team like we were in 2012. So who really cares if we MAKE the playoffs? Better served by a lottery draft pick from missing them than we are by squeaking in and dropping out in the first round. This team is going no where until we can stop being a perimeter team in the O-zone and a swarm team in the D-zone. More size! More size! MORE SIZE!
I don't think we're going anywhere either. But to miss the playoffs with the roster we have is ridiculous.

I agree, too small up front, lots of holes in the back. But man, we've got good players on this roster. Too many for this team to not be able to eek out at least 8th place. With the roster we have we should be able to compete with Boston in this sad sack Eastern Conference. As it is, we could've lost last night by 6-1 same with the other night. Only thing stopping that is Carey Price.

Thing is, if we do miss... it won't be by much. We've already earned a lot of points in the standings. We're not getting any kind of lottery pick this season. So yeah, might as well try to make the playoffs and give some of the kids some experience.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
I don't think we're going anywhere either. But to miss the playoffs with the roster we have is ridiculous.

I agree, too small up front, lots of holes in the back. But man, we've got good players on this roster. Too many for this team to not be able to eek out at least 8th place. With the roster we have we should be able to compete with Boston in this sad sack Eastern Conference. As it is, we could've lost last night by 6-1 same with the other night. Only thing stopping that is Carey Price.

Thing is, if we do miss... it won't be by much. We've already earned a lot of points in the standings. We're not getting any kind of lottery pick this season. So yeah, might as well try to make the playoffs and give some of the kids some experience.

The only kid on this roster is Bournival. And I'd rather he come into his first playoffs hungry to make an impact than trying to squeeze in an avoid being eliminated. You're right, there is too much talent on the roster to barely make the playoffs and exit early, but it's being so mishandled that that's the best case scenario. I'm already counting the season as a loss, so getting into the playoffs or not isn't really a concern for me. We're not winning the cup, so what's the difference?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The only kid on this roster is Bournival. And I'd rather he come into his first playoffs hungry to make an impact than trying to squeeze in an avoid being eliminated. You're right, there is too much talent on the roster to barely make the playoffs and exit early, but it's being so mishandled that that's the best case scenario. I'm already counting the season as a loss, so getting into the playoffs or not isn't really a concern for me. We're not winning the cup, so what's the difference?
Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu could all use the experience. And right now for the life of me I can't understand why we're not at least auditioning Tinordi.

As for the playoffs this year, with a different coach we might be able to win a round. If nothing else I think we need to start thinking in terms of contending sooner rather than later. MB seems to be a passive patient GM. We needed that about five years ago. Right now we need a guy who recognizes that we actually have elite talent on this roster and builds towards something now.

Just ridiculous for a team like this to miss the playoffs.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu could all use the experience. And right now for the life of me I can't understand why we're not at least auditioning Tinordi.

As for the playoffs this year, with a different coach we might be able to win a round. If nothing else I think we need to start thinking in terms of contending sooner rather than later. MB seems to be a passive patient GM. We needed that about five years ago. Right now we need a guy who recognizes that we actually have elite talent on this roster and builds towards something now.

Experience on a 1 and done team with a mediocre coach who will probably bench the kids is highly overrated. I'd rather finish out of the playoffs and get a higher pick/ trade away some dead weight instead of making a dumb deal at the deadline to trade for a player or two who won't add anything. Overachieving last year did NOTHING for this team. I get the playoff experience thing but not with this team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Experience on a 1 and done team with a mediocre coach who will probably bench the kids is highly overrated. I'd rather finish out of the playoffs and get a higher pick/ trade away some dead weight instead of making a dumb deal at the deadline to trade for a player or two who won't add anything. Overachieving last year did NOTHING for this team. I get the playoff experience thing but not with this team.
I understand the "losing in the 1st or 2nd doesn't do anything for us anyway" line of thinking. I do.

But on the flipside drafing 13th instead of 17th isn't much of a difference either.

One thing to finish in the bottom five and get something out of it. But this is not the super deep 2013 draft. No matter what we're getting a mid round pick somewhere.

Bottom line is that this roster (esp with Price playing the way he has) shouldn't be anywhere near 8th place. I'd much rather see our GM fire the coach and actually make some moves to improve the club. There's no way that he should be sitting back there with this attitude of "Well, we figured we'd be in a dogfight for the playoffs and that's where we are." But that's how he's approaching things right now. To me, that's unacceptable with the roster we have.

As I said, we're not contenders and we have huge holes. But a lot of the right pieces ARE there right now. We should at least be doing something to build and I don't see that happening. I see a GM sitting around twiddling his thumbs while our season goes into the crapper. And when you have a team like this missing the playoffs, it destroys dressing rooms. There's no way this club should miss, not with the talent that's on it now and us being in the sad sack Eastern Conference.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla

Eh, I can see your point. Though Tinordi hasn't shown anything close to being ready in his past outings. Pateryn would be nice to see getting some time with the big club, though.

I'm not sure we would win a round with a different coach, though. The biggest issues for this team are a complete lack of size in the top 6 and being too old/lack of size on the back end. Coaching isn't going to fix either of those issues. Yes, we have some top-end talent in Subban and Price, and a very good player in Patches. What we're lacking now is what we've been lacking for the past 20 years, though. A big #1C(Hopefully Galchenyuk is that) and a big wing(Can't think of anyone in the system with a realistic chance). Today, we're lacking a solid shut-down D, but I think that's fairly easily fixable. I'm still excited for the future, but REALLY uneasy about what MB might do considering his big moves this past summer was a redundant piece(Briere) and a piece that barely belongs in the NHL(Murray).

I'm not sold that playoff seasoning would really help Beaulieu who I think would barely get any playing time or Galchenyuk, who would be played in a role he's currently suited for rather than the one he is meant to take on. Gallagher will flourish under pretty much any circumstances, so I'm not worried about him either. Essentially all this years playoffs would mean, to me, is another chance to watch the habs flounder. Give these kids some success, rather than drowning them in mediocrity and failure.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Eh, I can see your point. Though Tinordi hasn't shown anything close to being ready in his past outings. Pateryn would be nice to see getting some time with the big club, though.

I'm not sure we would win a round with a different coach, though. The biggest issues for this team are a complete lack of size in the top 6 and being too old/lack of size on the back end. Coaching isn't going to fix either of those issues. Yes, we have some top-end talent in Subban and Price, and a very good player in Patches. What we're lacking now is what we've been lacking for the past 20 years, though. A big #1C(Hopefully Galchenyuk is that) and a big wing(Can't think of anyone in the system with a realistic chance). Today, we're lacking a solid shut-down D, but I think that's fairly easily fixable. I'm still excited for the future, but REALLY uneasy about what MB might do considering his big moves this past summer was a redundant piece(Briere) and a piece that barely belongs in the NHL(Murray).

I'm not sold that playoff seasoning would really help Beaulieu who I think would barely get any playing time or Galchenyuk, who would be played in a role he's currently suited for rather than the one he is meant to take on. Gallagher will flourish under pretty much any circumstances, so I'm not worried about him either. Essentially all this years playoffs would mean, to me, is another chance to watch the habs flounder. Give these kids some success, rather than drowning them in mediocrity and failure.
Big winger who can score, Big number 3 blueliner. You add that to this roster along with a new coach and we're in great shape. Briere never should've been added to begin with. Get rid of Murray, Bouillion, DD, Parros... We're not that far away.

And that's why it was so frustrating to watch MB **** up this past offseason. We could've had a really good year.

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
No the Habs will make the playoffs and then get embarrassed again. But since we will have made the playoffs management won't think there is anything wrong and the vicious circle will continue.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
Big winger who can score, Big number 3 blueliner. You add that to this roster along with a new coach and we're in great shape. Briere never should've been added to begin with. Get rid of Murray, Bouillion, DD, Parros... We're not that far away.

And that's why it was so frustrating to watch MB **** up this past offseason. We could've had a really good year.

I agree we're not that far away, but who was available in either of those moulds this off-season? The only player who would have added to this team chose to go to the flyers. Just like the only player who can add to this team significantly this off-season will either choose to remain a NYR or get paid farrrrrrrrrrrr more than he's worth. MB made some stop-gap moves to bide the time until his draft choices are hopefully ready. Yeah, he made a huge gamble in the first round but after that his choices were solid for where they were chosen. I mean, people were complaining about Connor Crisp, FFS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad