Has New York been the luckiest team these playoffs?

Has New York has been the luckiest team these playoffs?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Florida was throwing everything at the net. Kind of like Carolina did in their series only they had a higher % of quality chances than the Canes.
No, not even close, Panthers actually play good hockey (and this is coming from Tampa fan, they beat us this year), while Canes most of the time play: "let's shoot low percentage shots from everywhere and hope some get in". It was very much on display the first 3 games against Rangers.

and 99 others

i enjoy watching hockey
Jul 27, 2011
Should the NHL have the Rangers and the Capitals/Hurricanes Redo their series in case it was a big fluke?

No disrespect to the rangers, I'm a firm believer that New York sweeping the Capitals is a huge fluke and robs the Capitals of truly accomplishing what their capable of. I've spent the last few days in pure disbelief and it just doesn't make sense to me. I've spent the entire regular season watching the Capitals and Hurricanes play great hockey it's just not fair.
If the Capitals and Hurricanes lose again I will face that the Rangers deserved the win, but I am just 100% sure it was a fluke and does a big disservice to the Capitals, Hurricanes and the NHL.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Rangers just keep winning while getting outworked and outplayed, their stars are nowhere to be found while guys who haven’t scored in 5 years suddenly scoring 2 goals per game while Shesterkin shuts the door

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Rangers just keep winning while getting outworked and outplayed, their stars are nowhere to be found while guys who haven’t scored in 5 years suddenly scoring 2 goals per game while Shesterkin shuts the door
Depth players really stepping up for the Rangers. Igor beast mode. Funny watching Panarin and Fox do absolutely nothing.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Florida was throwing everything at the net. Kind of like Carolina did in their series only they had a higher % of quality chances than the Canes. Igor gets zoned in he's tough to beat.

Looking at the Rangers goals though---they were all good to great chances that Bobrovsky didn't have much chance on. Lafreniere made two terrific plays. Goodrow a nasty deflection with a screen goalie and then a bang bang play coming out of a corner for the shorthanded and Wennberg's top corner deflection. The Rangers might not get lots of shots but they tend to be high quality.

On the question of luck though.....it comes in many ways and no team is going to win the Cup without a lot of it.
Most of the NYR goals were the result of some defensive lapse by FLA. The last was most egregious (Rodrigues /OEL leaving Wennberg alone in front) but also Laffy got a breakaway and Goodrow was unmarked on his deflection & his shorty.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Most of the NYR goals were the result of some defensive lapse by FLA. The last was most egregious (Rodrigues /OEL leaving Wennberg alone in front) but also Laffy got a breakaway and Goodrow was unmarked on his deflection & his shorty.
Florida’s best defense happens outside of their zone. Heavy forecheck to break up plays before really getting started, and trying to disrupt through the neutral zone, and sticks to break up attempts at zone entry. Once possession is established in their zone is when things can get pretty dicey for them.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Good god, what qualifies as a good team to you guys then? I can understand Washington, but Carolina and Florida are both good hockey teams. It’s delusional to think otherwise.
I think you missed the joke.

Reactions: Holocene

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Good god, what qualifies as a good team to you guys then? I can understand Washington, but Carolina and Florida are both good hockey teams. It’s delusional to think otherwise.
Sarcasm. It is in response to the narrative that after Carolina lost, it was finally now OK to say what people REALLY felt about them: they weren't actually good in the first place, and Florida is the only ACTUAL good team in the East.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Depth players really stepping up for the Rangers. Igor beast mode. Funny watching Panarin and Fox do absolutely nothing.
I think this is the narrative for those who started watching in the ECF. Fox is hurt and has been bad, admittedly, but 5 forwards carried us through the first 2 rounds with our depth providing nothing.

They'll have to click again for us to go further, but Trocheck, Panarin, Laf, Zibanejad and kreider are all basically point per game overall.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011

Sarcasm detector malfunction

I am very much aware that Carolina and Florida both are likely better teams than the Rangers if you exclude the goaltending position

Last edited:

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

Fox has been skating on one leg for a while now. Thanks for paying attention, though.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's not luck when you have players like Barclay "Draymond Green dreams of players like me" Goodrow and Alex "I haven't scored since the invention of sliced bread" Wennberg clapping bombs, f***ing moms, wheel snipe celly

• Haha
Reactions: HolyHagelin

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It’s funny how the tables have turned where everyone was shitting on the Rangers for ruining Laf, but now that he’s finally good, we’re now lucky. Pick a lane.
1) Winning the 1st overall pick while making the playoffs is lucky, considering it's happened less than a half dozen times in NHL history
2) Thanks for including me in the everyone-shitting-on Rangers argument when I said nothing of the sort.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I mean, two things can be simultaneously true: The Rangers are a very good team, and they have also been lucky.

They've played some legitimately good hockey. They play a style that maximizes their strengths (creating quality chances) and leverages their big advantages over other teams (special teams and goaltending). They have a formula that works. They walked over WAS, as expected, played Carolina very well, and have played Florida tight too (with the exception of game 3).

That said, they've won most of these one-goal or OT games, where one errant bounce is the difference between winning and losing. Obviously, you're getting some degree of luck if you're always winning the 50/50 coin flip games.

Reactions: heksagon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad