Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I almost replied to that but I’m just done with some people in this thread. Will have to wait and see what happens. Not going to convince anyone. Don’t think these guys actually watch at this point. Sick of their weird no true Scotsman fallacies.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but I can't seem to decide whether Gordie Howe was truly a generational player.

In all seriousness, well said

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He’s not a dominant player like McDavid or Sid were at his age. I think he ends up as a Stamkos or Pasta level, maybe a little better more proficient offensively. But his two-way game is alarmingly bad. Even for a teenager.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
This is a joke right?

Yes.

The joke has to do with the 'no true Scottsman fallacy' as it relates to the fact that 2 internet clowns came up with and perpetuated a dumb / dishonest argument about 'generational players' while unironically trying to pretend that Gordie Howe was not truly generational (at least not as it pertained to the dumb and dishonest argument they came up with).

You can follow the convo if you look at some of the posts from a few pages ago. Imo not even close to worth it, probably better to save yourself the time

Reactions: Crow

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes.

The joke has to do with the 'no true Scottsman fallacy' as it relates to the fact that 2 internet clowns came up with and perpetuated a dumb / dishonest argument about 'generational players' while unironically trying to pretend that Gordie Howe was not truly generational (at least not as it pertained to the dumb and dishonest argument they came up with).

You can follow the convo if you look at some of the posts from a few pages ago. Imo not even close to worth it, probably better to save yourself the time
You think Bedard could be on Gordie Howe's level and you're calling me the Internet clown?

This will be a fun thread to bump in a few years, just like those Shane Wright threads.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Comparing raw numbers is a bit disingenuous. Remember that Bedard is playing in the league much easier to score. The guys you mentioned played in the 'obstruction era' when Matt Cooke headshots weren't even penalized.
Comparing the raw numbers is the opposite of disingenuous. Its the numbers.

Are you creating a new obstruction era ? What obstruction era was there between 2004 and now ?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
You think Bedard could be on Gordie Howe's level and you're calling me the Internet clown?

This will be a fun thread to bump in a few years, just like those Shane Wright threads.
Oh it will alright. And you probably won't have to wait a few years.

Now he's comparing an 18 year old Calder winner to Shane Wright. That already doesn't work.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
This whole thread has given me a migraine. McDavid was never labelled as a generational NHL player before he played a single game in the NHL. He had generational potential. Just like Bedard does. Bedard may very well go on to score thousands of points and numerous trophies. He might be a top 10 player of all time. He might be a top 20 or 30 player of all time. That would be seriously impressive. He may also not do those things. I can't look into the future any more than anyone else can.

It's ridiculous to assume that he's going to do those things after one season. It's ridiculous to assume that he's going to do those things because of his performance in the WJC or WHL. His performance shows that he has the potential to do so, not that it's a guarantee.

Right now, he isn't better than McDavid or Crosby or prime Kane or Jack Hughes. He's a player who put up a very good PPG on a very bad team in one year. He's Connor Bedard, not McDavid or Crosby. He has the potential to be better than everyone in the NHL and has the potential to be better than McDavid and Crosby for sure. But unless you can see in the future, guaranteeing that he's a better player than those guys right now is just wildly stupid. Yeah, he put up similar PPG as McDavid and set more records in the WJC- that means he has potential to be better than McDavid, not that he is right now.

Since when did comparing Bedard to Patrick Kane, arguably the best American player of all time, become a bad thing? Since when did saying that Jack Hughes is currently better than him mean that he's underrated?

People are touting him as a top 15 player in the NHL after one season and you want me to say he's underrated?

We can start comparing him to Crosby, McDavid, Gretzky, Jagr, Lemieux, blah blah blah after he has more than one season and isn't a teenager. Until then he gets to sit in the "really really good player, could be one of the best time" tiers, which is by no means an insult or underrating him.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Since when did comparing Bedard to Patrick Kane, arguably the best American player of all time, become a bad thing?
Because it's like saying in 2015 that Mcdavid could be as good as Jarome Iginla. How's that a bad thing ? He won the Art Ross once. Just like Kane. Ignila was a solid franchise player but common.

If you said that on these boards in 2015 you'd get laughed out of the room. And yet ppl are saying it here with Bedard.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
^ Does the afternoon count ?
He’s not a dominant player like McDavid or Sid were at his age. I think he ends up as a Stamkos or Pasta level, maybe a little better more proficient offensively. But his two-way game is alarmingly bad. Even for a teenager.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad