Value of: Hartnell to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
you posted the benefits for Montreal but can you find any for Columbus?

Getting out of the last three years of his deal for starters.

To another poster, yes, there was significant agreement in principle on a deal centered around Desharnais and Hartnell.

Scott should still be good for 20g and 50 points. He's a strong net presence, still hard to play against, etc.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Hartnell-Plekanec-Gallagher

Make a kid line for the third line out of 'ghetto, Hudon, Lehkonen and Reway.

Byron, Carr, Mitchell, Flynn and Danault battle for the bottom 3.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have always seen you as someone that expetcs top dollar for players so I figured you'd want the moon so I just wanted to make it clear they were not on the table

There's... quite a bit more nuance to it than that.

As for what I think we'd have to give up I don't know your D is young but if it works out it's GOOD.

You said you don't wingers

I still think BOB is a good goalie so I don't see you needing goalies, even if you do we don't have them in the system.

So that leaves centres

And I think long term the plan is for Nylander to be a centre

So that means either Kadri or Bozak would need to be in this deal and thats not enough particularly if Bozak goes we need to add, just not sure what.

That's kind of the thing, tho - trading for one of those two guys wouldn't exactly fit needs, because we've got centers of comparable talent as is and are trying to develop more. So unless Toronto wants to do us a favor, there's not much point in us going through with a deal - and I don't see how it makes sense for Toronto unless y'all have a serious need for productive mentor figures.

* * *​
Getting out of the last three years of his deal for starters.

Why would we want to do that? He's still productive, and the immediate cap space issue has gone away with the buyouts.

To another poster, yes, there was significant agreement in principle on a deal centered around Desharnais and Hartnell.

There was. There isn't anymore. That window of opportunity has since closed due to the buyouts and the Gagner signing.

Scott should still be good for 20g and 50 points. He's a strong net presence, still hard to play against, etc.

And this is exactly why we're not giving him away for cheap. We value these things as well.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There's... quite a bit more nuance to it than that.

That's kind of the thing, tho - trading for one of those two guys wouldn't exactly fit needs, because we've got centers of comparable talent as is and are trying to develop more. So unless Toronto wants to do us a favor, there's not much point in us going through with a deal - and I don't see how it makes sense for Toronto unless y'all have a serious need for productive mentor figures.

* * *​

Why would we want to do that? He's still productive, and the immediate cap space issue has gone away with the buyouts.

There was. There isn't anymore. That window of opportunity has since closed due to the buyouts and the Gagner signing.

And this is exactly why we're not giving him away for cheap. We value these things as well.

Thats the thing this team does need a productive Mentor, I do think there is a deal to be made just not sure what it is.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Thats the thing this team does need a productive Mentor, I do think there is a deal to be made just not sure what it is.

I don't think the Jackets would really be interested in adding Kadri or Bozak, it's really just more of the same for us. I also don't think the Leafs would be interested in moving Nylander, but if they were, I'd be more than interested in adding to Hartnell.

The Leafs are short on high end defensive prospects, right? I'm not suggesting Werenski here, because he's obviously way too important to the structure of Columbus' blue line going forward, but would there be any interest in Gabriel Carlsson? He is projected to make a push for an NHL spot next season. Big, stay at home LHD.

Just gauging value, would Hartnell + Carlsson and a pick (2nd?) be enough to land Nylander? We can take back a short term cap dump in return, like Greening or Michalek.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think the Jackets would really be interested in adding Kadri or Bozak, it's really just more of the same for us. I also don't think the Leafs would be interested in moving Nylander, but if they were, I'd be more than interested in adding to Hartnell.

The Leafs are short on high end defensive prospects, right? I'm not suggesting Werenski here, because he's obviously way too important to the structure of Columbus' blue line going forward, but would there be any interest in Gabriel Carlsson? He is projected to make a push for an NHL spot next season. Big, stay at home LHD.

Just gauging value, would Hartnell + Carlsson and a pick (2nd?) be enough to land Nylander? We can take back a short term cap dump in return, like Greening or Michalek.

We have A LOT of LHD

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You should look at Kekalainen before that expansion draft.

We are. He doesn't seem to be selling anymore. Which makes sense, seeing as though Hartnell's been productive enough so far to be worthy of a protection slot.

You've successfully identified the reason why Hartnell would continue to be available at all to begin with. You can't double down and insist on a discount on top of that. It only counts once.

* * *​

Yeah, but so do we. :) So I'm not sure how to make this work for both sides.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
We are. He doesn't seem to be selling anymore. Which makes sense, seeing as though Hartnell's been productive enough so far to be worthy of a protection slot.

You've successfully identified the reason why Hartnell would continue to be available at all to begin with. You can't double down and insist on a discount on top of that. It only counts once.

not insisting and not asking for a discount either. Don't think the Gm of my team should go after him, just because of the NMC. otherwise he would certainly be an interesting player to get. I just don't want my team to be handcuffed like your team is.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
You mean the guy who said he wasn't going to attach anything to Hartnell to move him... Then didn't move him?

was that before or after the news about players with NMCs taking protection slots for the expansion draft?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
not insisting and not asking for a discount either. Don't think the Gm of my team should go after him, just because of the NMC. otherwise he would certainly be an interesting player to get. I just don't want my team to be handcuffed like your team is.
The team isn't handcuffed by Hartnell; barring a massive regression this year he'd be on the protected list anyways. The cap pressure went away with the two buyouts. All that's left is prospect development time, and fantasies about somehow making Clarkson go away at minimal expense (not going to happen, but one can dream).

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
What's the cost to get this done? Would benefit Montreal's top 6 to have him as their 2LW. He also fits the grittier style they are aiming for, while also having ability to score... He's an older, slightly different version of Wayne Simmonds whom the Habs have been interested in for awhile.

Emelin straight up?

Emelin + 3rd?

What's realistic? I really think Hartnell is still an impact guy, and wouldn't require a bevy of prospects/assets in return...

Pacs - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hartnell - Plekanec - Radulov

Not interested in acquiring Hartnell unless DD goes the other way.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I don't know why this is so hard for everyone. The only reason for Columbus to trade someone like Hartnell is to get rid of his contract (which they don't need to do anymore). So, why would they want anyone back who isn't as good as him and still has multiple years left on their contract? They wouldn't. So, you have two options. Overpay for him or trade prospects/picks. Again, the Jackets DO NOT HAVE TO TRADE ANYONE. We aren't here to do you any favors. If you can't offer us something that actually helps us, then don't bothering making an offer.

Oct 22, 2012
How is Hartnell doing these days? I was under the impression he was sort of fading, but if he still is top 6 I'd be all over this for MTL. Partly because the father in law is a flyers fan :laugh:

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
was that before or after the news about players with NMCs taking protection slots for the expansion draft?

I believe it was after the announcement but seriously why does it matter? Each team will lose exactly one player in the draft. As you point out, Hartnell is still valuable. Trading him away doesn't mean Columbus saves a player. Worst case is Columbus loses a goalie like Korpisalo or a forward like Atkinson. If they lose Atkinson, Bjorkstrand is ready to take his slot. What's the difference between Atkinson and Bjorkstrand? If Hartnell is traded who replaces his production this year? Who replaces his leadership?

It's silly to believe GMs are going to dump good assets because they will lose one player in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad