Value of: Hartnell to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
What's the cost to get this done? Would benefit Montreal's top 6 to have him as their 2LW. He also fits the grittier style they are aiming for, while also having ability to score... He's an older, slightly different version of Wayne Simmonds whom the Habs have been interested in for awhile.

Emelin straight up?

Emelin + 3rd?

What's realistic? I really think Hartnell is still an impact guy, and wouldn't require a bevy of prospects/assets in return...

Pacs - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hartnell - Plekanec - Radulov

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What's the cost to get this done? Would benefit Montreal's top 6 to have him as their 2LW. He also fits the grittier style they are aiming for, while also having ability to score... He's an older, slightly different version of Wayne Simmonds whom the Habs have been interested in for awhile.

Emelin straight up?

Emelin + 3rd?

What's realistic? I really think Hartnell is still an impact guy, and wouldn't require a bevy of prospects/assets in return...

you posted the benefits for Montreal but can you find any for Columbus?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Pierre this is not going to go well. We've been down the Hartnell-to-Habs road before and there's really not much compelling for CBJ. And Emelin is a complete non-starter.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Emelin straight up?

Emelin + 3rd?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2110357&highlight=hartnell

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2106719&highlight=hartnell

Just a start.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I would trade Danault and Pateryn for Hartnell.

Players Columbus may want in a Hartnell trade that I would not part with:

Plekanec
Andrighetto
Hudon
Lehkonen
Carr
Reway
Scherbak
McCarron

Players I would part with but Columbus probably won't want:

Emelin
Pateryn
Barberio
Danault
Byron
Mitchell
Flynn
Matteau

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
/InBeforeViqsi
...by all of ten minutes. :p: ;)

There was a time when one could get Hartnell at a discount price. That opportunity vanished when Tyutin and Boll were bought out. He is a high quality scoring winger who can play on the first line (perhaps best on the second line, though), and we will not accept any price in which we're selling him as anything less than that. If you want him, you take on any contract risk in full. We will not offset that for you. You have lost that chance. It's too late.

And we won't accept Emelin at all, ever, no matter what, for anyone or for anything or for any reason, ever. This has been reiterated many, many, many, many times. No Emelin. Ever. None.

* * *​
Didn't some Columbus fans wanted Desharnais for Hartnell?

The interest in that trade, again, went away with the Tyutin/Boll buyouts, and any interest whatsoever in Desharnais vanished when Gagner was signed.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
...by all of ten minutes. :p: ;)

There was a time when one could get Hartnell at a discount price. That opportunity vanished when Tyutin and Boll were bought out. He is a high quality scoring winger who can play on the first line (perhaps best on the second line, though), and we will not accept any price in which we're selling him as anything less than that. If you want him, you take on any contract risk in full. We will not offset that for you. You have lost that chance. It's too late.

And we won't accept Emelin at all, ever, no matter what, for anyone or for anything or for any reason, ever. This has been reiterated many, many, many, many times. No Emelin. Ever. None.

So what would you want?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So what would you want?
Think of it this way: we have a 20+ goal ~50+ point winger with a gritty game and lots of playoff experience who's proven as an effective mentor for up-and-coming kids, with a $4.75m cap hit (read: well below current market value at that production, before the other pluses come into play). He might happen to be available, though, due to expansion draft and age considerations (altho that last is a given when you're talking about a mentor with playoff experience).

What would you expect to give up to get that? :)

FYI to any reaching for that reply button: if you're planning on arguing any of the above points or otherwise going with a "But what about [negative thing]" strategy... sorry, you've already lost, you will not be getting him in a trade for what you think is fair value, because the team and the fanbase do not and will not agree with you. Potentially having to move Hartnell was one of those possible painful outcomes for us as a result of cap issues; he's not someone we need to dump.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Emelin straight up?

Emelin + 3rd?

Come back to this in February if (I repeat, if) Montreal are a lock for the playoffs, and CBJ are out of playoff contention again.

But for the love of god offer something decent.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I don't think Montreal would trade Emelin at this point, they need him on defense. Replacing him with Barberio and putting a rookie at #7 is way too thin unless someone has a great training camp.

Salary would have to go back to Columbus, so they're taking Desharnais. Then Columbus would be able to get a draft pick/prospect to make up the difference. I assume Columbus would want Carr or Andrighetto who have proven a bit that they can score at the NHL level and are basically ready to play full time.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Think of it this way: we have a 20+ goal ~50+ point winger with a gritty game and lots of playoff experience who's proven as an effective mentor for up-and-coming kids, with a $4.75m cap hit (read: well below current market value at that production, before the other pluses come into play). He might happen to be available, though, due to expansion draft and age considerations (altho that last is a given when you're talking about a mentor with playoff experience).

What would you expect to give up to get that? :)

FYI to any reaching for that reply button: if you're planning on arguing any of the above points or otherwise going with a "But what about [negative thing]" strategy... sorry, you've already lost, you will not be getting him in a trade for what you think is fair value, because the team and the fanbase do not and will not agree with you. Potentially having to move Hartnell was one of those possible painful outcomes for us as a result of cap issues; he's not someone we need to dump.

Under the circumstances I can't tell you what I'd expect to give up for that since the exspansion draft is coming and I think that has to be taken into account

Based on your history I think you might think he id worth a Nylander or Marner

He doesn't get that though

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Salary would have to go back to Columbus, so they're taking Desharnais. Then Columbus would be able to get a draft pick/prospect to make up the difference. I assume Columbus would want Carr or Andrighetto who have proven a bit that they can score at the NHL level and are basically ready to play full time.

You assume incorrectly. We have plenty of scoring wingers, and we have several such young wingers ready to play full time. What needs we have would not be covered by a trade with Hartnell as the centerpiece.

* * *​
Under the circumstances I can't tell you what I'd expect to give up for that since the exspansion draft is coming and I think that has to be taken into account

Um. I did mention that the expansion draft is why he might be available. It's not as though I was ignoring that.

Based on your history I think you might think he id worth a Nylander or Marner

lol what the actual ****

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I would trade Danault and Pateryn for Hartnell.

Players Columbus may want in a Hartnell trade that I would not part with:

Plekanec
Andrighetto
Hudon
Lehkonen
Carr
Reway
Scherbak
McCarron

Players I would part with but Columbus probably won't want:

Emelin
Pateryn
Barberio
Danault
Byron
Mitchell
Flynn
Matteau

I don't see Galchenyuk on either of those lists :naughty:

But in all seriousness, Hartsy is not a cap dump and is worth wayyyy more than Emelin. Plus, the Jackets have ZERO need for Emelin.

The Desharnais discussion happened before the Tyutin and Boll buyouts, which would have given us much needed cap space. But because of the buyouts, the cap space is not as much of a pressing need. I don't really see a move to be made with the Canadiens re: Hartnell.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You assume incorrectly. We have plenty of scoring wingers, and we have several such young wingers ready to play full time. What needs we have would not be covered by a trade with Hartnell as the centerpiece.

* * *​

Um. I did mention that the expansion draft is why he might be available. It's not as though I was ignoring that.

lol what the actual ****

I have always seen you as someone that expetcs top dollar for players so I figured you'd want the moon so I just wanted to make it clear they were not on the table

Now I know we are on the sane page

As for what I think we'd have to give up I don't know your D is young but if it works out it's GOOD.

You said you don't wingers

I still think BOB is a good goalie so I don't see you needing goalies, even if you do we don't have them in the system.

So that leaves centres

And I think long term the plan is for Nylander to be a centre

So that means either Kadri or Bozak would need to be in this deal and thats not enough particularly if Bozak goes we need to add, just not sure what.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Habs don't need Hartnell.He is slow....We have Lekonen,Reway,Andrighetto,Carr,Hudon and Shaw who could be 2e or 3e LW....

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
When does a 34 year old slow down?

Habs should go all in :sarcasm:

Hartnell's skating has already slowed down. He found ways to be productive.

I don't think Columbus will get full value for a player of his most recent production simply due to his age. That said, they shouldn't accept dramatically decreased value or negative value.

If you want Hartnell's points, you adopt his risk. There shouldn't be a deal where Columbus mitigates the risk for the acquiring team.

Even if Hartnell falls off a cliff, I have to believe CBJ management did the bare minimum due diligence of ensuring the team could absorb a worst case scenario Hartnell and Clarkson when it assembled the most recent financial plan for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad