Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Bloomington Bison Thread: Part XV

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Hartford loses in the shoot out 4-3. Pack outshot 49-25. Domingue stole a point stopping 45 shots. All of the goals he gave up were on the PP, one being a 5-3. Focusing on the Rangers game I only saw small bits of this game. But it didn't look like the Pack generated much offense with two of their goals coming on the PP.

Some thoughts on my limited viewing:

From Keegan Jarvis:

"Scratches: F Blade JenkinsF Bryce McConnell-BarkerF Blake McLaughlinD Ryan Siedem

Lines: Othmann - Groulx - BelzileBerard - Leschyshyn - Sucese: Erne - Korczak - Blidh: Sýkora - Roobroeck - Chmelař:

D Pairs: Harpur - Fitzgerald; Robertson - Scanlin; Mackey - Hillman"

While Domingue was excellent, Hartford needs to give Garand more work. He's not waiver exempt next year so the Rangers could lose him if he isn't the back up goalie.

Fitzgerald and Mackay ran the PP. Although Fitzgerald scored the PP goal to tie the game, this team is missing a Zac Jones, or Mac Hallowell or Teemo Reunanen. The defense doesn't generate much offense. Ben Harpur looked particularly slow.

On the first goal, although Fitzgerald got an assist, he fumbled the puck on top and almost lost it. Othmann made a nice hustle play to keep the puck in the zone and pass to Berard who was able to beat the goalie. But Othmann took a lazy hooking penalty that lead to a PP goal. You can see the potential but he is inconsistent. No shots from two centers, Korczak and Leschyschen. That continues to be a problem. Sykora had a nice pass to Blidh on his goal but seemed to have a quiet game otherwise.

I haven't seen each players time but it didn't look like Roobroeck and Chmelar got much action. Othmann and Berard with 4 shots a piece.

Only one game but not very encouraging start as a team.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Just finished watching the game from last night.
1st game of the season on the road. Take the point and run.
Domingue was great but I agree with Ran Ric, Garand needs to get a majority of the starts this year.
Othmann with two penalties that lead to the Phantom first two goals. Second penalty was lazy.
PK was bad, but that is to be expected. Most of last season forward penalty killers are not with the team.5 left handed d- men in the lineup? That should have been addressed by the organization. Going on 2 and 1/2 seasons.
With Mancini up with the big club and Robertson and his issues, Scanlin should be getting 1st pair minutes on the left side.
That is the Rangers biggest weakness.
Anyone know where Steve Smith landed this year? Did he call it quits? Paul Mara over Steve Smith as the d coach doesn’t seem right.

P.S.: Paul Mara played two seasons with Chris Drury. That tracks.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Just finished watching the game from last night.
1st game of the season on the road. Take the point and run.
Domingue was great but I agree with Ran Ric, Garand needs to get a majority of the starts this year.
Othmann with two penalties that lead to the Phantom first two goals. Second penalty was lazy.
PK was bad, but that is to be expected. Most of last season forward penalty killers are not with the team.5 left handed d- men in the lineup? That should have been addressed by the organization. Going on 2 and 1/2 seasons.
With Mancini up with the big club and Robertson and his issues, Scanlin should be getting 1st pair minutes on the left side.
That is the Rangers biggest weakness.
Anyone know where Steve Smith landed this year? Did he call it quits? Paul Mara over Steve Smith as the d coach doesn’t seem right.

P.S.: Paul Mara played two seasons with Chris Drury. That tracks.
One other thought about the game. Both Berard and Othmann played left wing. The Rangers will need one if not both of these guys to play right wing next year because of their cap limitations. I know it’s only one game but I would like to see them used more on their off wing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Smith became the interim coach after Knoblauch went to Edmonton. The Rangers hired Potulny in the off season. Smith might have wanted to stay as coach then....not go back to an assistant.

As far as Harpur being slow.....well he never was particularly fast and he's coming off a year in which he had season ending knee surgery and might need some time to get back to where he was before. He's also probably the toughest the player the Pack has which in the AHL is hardly unimportant. Probably his last year with the Rangers organization.

Reactions: Hodes42

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Thanks for the updates fellas. As Ranger Ric and Clark Kellogg had mentioned... just looking at the make up of that D group on paper, it's lacking big time. They're seriously missing guys on the back end that are competent with the puck. Drury did real well last summer bringing in good AHLers to compliment the forward and defense group. Belzile (F), Riley Nash (F), Mackey (D), Hollowell (D), Brouillard (D). This year not as much I feel. Groulx is still young, bit of a question mark. Erne and Leschyshyn are both in a similar boat in terms of being decent depth, but not necessarily difference makers. Nash being out doesn't help, he's up there in age now too. Brodz and Mancini with the big club hurts them big time. Drury made a slick move last year acquiring Petan. Didn't get him to stick around, he left to be a star in Russia.

I dont want to go back to the days where Hartford was a continuous shitty afterthought.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Thanks for the updates fellas. As Ranger Ric and Clark Kellogg had mentioned... just looking at the make up of that D group on paper, it's lacking big time. They're seriously missing guys on the back end that are competent with the puck. Drury did real well last summer bringing in good AHLers to compliment the forward and defense group. Belzile (F), Riley Nash (F), Mackey (D), Hollowell (D), Brouillard (D). This year not as much I feel. Groulx is still young, bit of a question mark. Erne and Leschyshyn are both in a similar boat in terms of being decent depth, but not necessarily difference makers. Nash being out doesn't help, he's up there in age now too. Brodz and Mancini with the big club hurts them big time. Drury made a slick move last year acquiring Petan. Didn't get him to stick around, he left to be a star in Russia.

I dont want to go back to the days where Hartford was a continuous shitty afterthought.

Rangers could have signed some Dman that were either drafted and didnt sign or became UDFA, and they did not do so. Rangers lack young AHL prospects. Luckily Mancini forced his way on to the Rangers, but due to the lack of young defensive depth at the AHL level, that is a big issue. Time to stop relying on minor leaguers. Rangers need to get depth. Ask the Habs, they have young defensive depth in the AHL, as do a bunch of other teams. When half your minor league defensive team is depth from AHL vets and not much prospects that is a big concern. Maybe they can trade someone like Korczak for a young dman. They have a bunch of forwards.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Ollas recalled to Pack, dunno why yet

McLaughlin demoted from Pack to Bison

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I don't think the situation is as dire as you're painting it.

Harpur missed most of last season. It will probably take him half the year to get fully up to speed but having him back helps. Fitzgerald, Robertson, Scanlin and Mackey are all good enough for that level and have plenty of experience. Mancini will likely be back there once Lindgren is healthy.

Offensively, I think the team is more loaded with prospects than it has been in a long time. Maybe ever. Sykora, Othmann, Berard, Barker, Roobroeck, Chmelar, Korczak. Some of them will have to step up. Our biggest issue is down the middle, but it was an issue last year as well. Hopefully one of Barker, Roobroeck or Korczak can take advantage of the opportunity.

This team is good enough to be competitive, and competitive should be enough to get them into the playoffs. Remember that the top 6 teams (out of 8) in the division make the playoffs. With that format, it's actually pretty hard to miss consistently.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hartford should have a pretty good team. Some good prospects and very good vets at forward. They don't really have a good power play qb from their defense group but all their defensemen are solid AHL players....and 3 have real NHL experience. The goaltending should be somewhere between good to very good. Positionally from 1st line to 4th line and all the defense are good players. The power play might suffer some from the lack of a qb on the other hand Hollowell, Brouillard or Reunanen weren't very strong defenders.

Depending also on other things Mancini could end up there and another forward as well whether that's Brodzinski or even Rempe. Personally I hope the Rangers keep Matthew but I think he's a possibility when Vesey returns.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Ollas recalled to Pack, dunno why yet

McLaughlin demoted from Pack to Bison

Hmm. Not sure if I heard Laviolette mention something about Quick working through something?
Maybe Domingue gets a call up on the morning of the Rangers next game.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I don't think the situation is as dire as you're painting it.

Harpur missed most of last season. It will probably take him half the year to get fully up to speed but having him back helps. Fitzgerald, Robertson, Scanlin and Mackey are all good enough for that level and have plenty of experience. Mancini will likely be back there once Lindgren is healthy.

Offensively, I think the team is more loaded with prospects than it has been in a long time. Maybe ever. Sykora, Othmann, Berard, Barker, Roobroeck, Chmelar, Korczak. Some of them will have to step up. Our biggest issue is down the middle, but it was an issue last year as well. Hopefully one of Barker, Roobroeck or Korczak can take advantage of the opportunity.

This team is good enough to be competitive, and competitive should be enough to get them into the playoffs. Remember that the top 6 teams (out of 8) in the division make the playoffs. With that format, it's actually pretty hard to miss consistently.
I was just saying my opinion is Drury did a better job the prior season filling out the Hartford roster, this year I think he under delivered a bit compared to that one. I wouldn't say I was painting a dire picture. Their forward group is still solid. Their D group is essentially all of a similar mold though, there's a lack of diversity in their skill set. That'll be something interesting to watch for this season if that group struggles to move the puck and break out efficiently. We shall see.

Rangers could have signed some Dman that were either drafted and didnt sign or became UDFA, and they did not do so. Rangers lack young AHL prospects. Luckily Mancini forced his way on to the Rangers, but due to the lack of young defensive depth at the AHL level, that is a big issue. Time to stop relying on minor leaguers. Rangers need to get depth. Ask the Habs, they have young defensive depth in the AHL, as do a bunch of other teams. When half your minor league defensive team is depth from AHL vets and not much prospects that is a big concern. Maybe they can trade someone like Korczak for a young dman. They have a bunch of forwards.
I try to keep my finger on the pulse with that sort of stuff, I could be wrong maybe someone can correct me but I don't think there was really many worthwhile D available that route. With the NCAA, It wasn't like the year prior when Henry Thrun spurned Anaheim and signed with San Jose. There's a few interesting ones at the moment, they chose to stay in school. There could've been some teams interested. Zach Bookman was at our development camp the year prior, he was at LA's this summer. Drury did sign Scanlin. So I do have some faith that they're keeping their eyes peeled for those sorts of players. Junior leagues, again I don't know how much was really out there. Handful of guys got AHL deals. I thought Hudson Thornton could be an interesting one. He got a minor league deal and seems to be starting in the ECHL.

Personal opinion, I'm not particularly interested in giving out a handful of ELCs to middling prospects for the sake of adding prospects. Good ones, absolutely. Taking a chance here and there on the others, sure. But you don't need to load up ELCs on fringe prospects. If there wasn't really anything interesting in the market at the time it is what it is. Something I think plagued Hartford for a bit was having these middling prospects that really didn't have much upside, they really just acted as place holders. They filled a spot and we kinda just ran those guys out there and fed them to the wolves. I'd rather identify you're serious prospects and line them up with guys that excel at that level. You want them developing with players that can feed off each other and make plays. You don't need them trying to adapt to the pro level and also have to carry around non-prospects. I would take a high end AHLer 10/10 over a fringe prospect that really doesn't have much NHL potential.

It does suck that we don't have any high end D prospects down there, but my biggest issue is more so that they're all kinda more or less the same sort of player

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think the team realistically thought Mancini would be in the NHL lineup. Lindgren getting hurt opened that door and changed the dynamic of Hartford's D a good bit. Mancini isn't a true PMD but he definitely brings a different look than most of the other guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad