Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Bloomington Bison Thread: Part XV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
agree only to a point

first, brief clarification re Emberson,
he was a 3rd round pick of Yotes,
many folks here dismissed him as a throw-in, maybe because Nemeth was such nothing for NYR
But part of the NYR front office, that made that deal, was Mike Grier
(btw i think it's wrong that guys who burn a season after college have that season count for waivers; for burning a year regarding extending, no biggie)
I honestly don't think any other GM woulda claimed Emberson

but re development, i just think many folks are too unrealistically impatient (or I am too optimistic and patient)
yes, more than ever, SOME very young guys accelerate to pro quality very quickly
but for others, it is a process and a journey
look at Luis Gil, now cruising as an ace starter for NYY, but 8 or 9 years after being drafted (but still mid 20's)

my expectations is NYR definitely QO, and keep Robertson and Henriksson (but maybe not Trivigno, but i would)
Yeah sorry, that's my bad on Emberson, I'm getting old. :laugh: I remember at the time he was acquired arguing that he wasn't really just a throw in, because I remembered liking him when I watched Key playing at Wisconsin.

I remember before he was claimed, I said the only way he'd get claimed is if some team had their eye on him from years earlier and still loved him, or if he went to a cellar dweller that figured his upside was worth a gamble.

Anyway, I agree that Robertson should get a QO. He really hasn't developed much, but 23 isn't terribly old for a defenseman and I think he's worth holding onto for at least another year.

Henriksson I'd let walk. He's not ready to push for a spot and I don't think his upside is notable. You can find better AHL players on AHL deals and he's far enough down the depth chart that an NHL deal seems a bit unnecessary.

Trivigno was my biggest disappointment of the season and it doesn't seem the coaching staff, or maybe even the whole organization, particularly likes him. He was scratched a lot. Taking into consideration his age and the difficulty he has had as a pro I think he's out.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well said. I've always been an advocate for Robertson until this season, really. He was down there with Schneider, with Jones. Scanlin and Emberson went from somewhat unheralded UDFAs to a guy who is a decent prospect (Scanlin) and a guy who was claimed on waivers and would have played the whole year in the NHL if not for an injury (Emberson). If the Rangers have a player development issue it's not with defensemen.

Sometimes guys just reach the end of their developmental capacity. Literally there are guys who peak at 17 in junior hockey and never get any better at any level. It happens. Robertson was wildly inconsistent as a pro and instead of becoming a good two-way defenseman like I thought he'd become, he's become a guy who is just not notably good at anything in particular. It is what it is. He was a good gamble that, at least for now, appears to have busted.

The thing is Robertson's got a lot of things going for him. He's big, not a weak player, he skates and handles and can move the puck really well. As a pro he hasn't put all these things together. Whether it's hockey IQ or just plain old determination and focus something hasn't happened. He's got examples of other d-men---some with less of the above than him finding their way. It's like WTF! but it happens that some just don't get there. Maybe a change of organization would really help him.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Pack have released Pekar
2024-05-14 Matej Pekar (F) Hartford DEL Released from SPC
I had hopes for him,
remembering his promise as Sabres 4th rounder a few years back (see THN article below),
and hoping his physical, distracting game might add sandpaper to Pack lineup
But he never earned a regular spot, playing 15 games in Dec/Jan during a stretch of injuries and call-ups, but then only 5 down the stretch
Pekar (a Czech, but he'd been playing in NA since age 15, 8 seasons ago)
signs with Litvinov of Czech League

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Guess you guys're changing ECHL affiliates to the expansion Bloomington Bison in Illinois.

I live in town and will assuredly go to a few games, so I might have some low-tier prospect takes in the coming months.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Guess you guys're changing ECHL affiliates to the expansion Bloomington Bison in Illinois.

I live in town and will assuredly go to a few games, so I might have some low-tier prospect takes in the coming months.

Looking forward to it and any info you get is appreciated!

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn

Oh nice, I can go to some games now.

Reactions: No Fun Shogun

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Pack sign LD Carter Berger from Western Michigan.

thanks

this from the release: "Before joining the Broncos, Berger called the XL Center home for three seasons (2019-20 – 2021-22) as a member of the University of Connecticut Huskies"

FYI, Berger is 3rd NCAA D-man signed by Pack to AHL deals for next season(s),
along with 2-year AHL deals for RHDs Ryan Siedem(Harvard/Notre Dame) and Case McCarthy(BU)

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

The Bison has a top hat. Your argument is invalid.
I love it.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Do the Rangers bring back RFA like Trivigno who has not developed at all? Does Barbashev get signed to ELC? Do the Rangers sign some drafted players that other organizations did not sign to add more depth?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Do the Rangers bring back RFA like Trivigno who has not developed at all? Does Barbashev get signed to ELC? Do the Rangers sign some drafted players that other organizations did not sign to add more depth?
I'm guessing Trivigno won't be back, unless it's on an AHL deal. I can't see the Rangers giving him another contract.

We lost the rights to Barbashev on June 1st. The Rangers won't be giving him an ELC. Maybe we've offered him an AHL deal and he's waiting to see if any team offers an NHL contract, or maybe he's exploring options in Europe. We won't know until we know.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Bobby was scratched an awful lot this year including most of the playoffs. It doesn't seem that the organization thinks that highly of him and at 25 I would think Bobby would like a different opportunity.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
thanks

this from the release: "Before joining the Broncos, Berger called the XL Center home for three seasons (2019-20 – 2021-22) as a member of the University of Connecticut Huskies"

FYI, Berger is 3rd NCAA D-man signed by Pack to AHL deals for next season(s),
along with 2-year AHL deals for RHDs Ryan Siedem(Harvard/Notre Dame) and Case McCarthy(BU)
So this is a very interesting coincidence.

In the 2019 draft Berger was drafted in the 4th round with the 106th pick by Florida. Hunter Skinner was drafted by the Rangers with the 112th pick by the Rangers. And Case McCarthy was drafted with the 118th pick by New Jersey. Only Skinner was signed and he was traded.

Ryan Siedem also was draft eligible but was not selected.

The Central Scouting Bureau rated McCarthy 77 for US non goalie prospects, Siedem 110 and Skinner 120. Berger was an over ager. I didn't find him in the CSB rankings but Steve Kournianos's website said he as rated 147 by CSB.

Kournianos rated McCarthy 95 and Siedem 110. He did not rate Skinner and he rated Berger as the 47th overager.

Of McCarthy Steve said he is a "thick, big-bodied blue liner who can crank it from the point." Steve said that while he can carry the puck he relies moron making safer plays and deferring to play makers. He called Case a "strong, powerful skater."

For Siedem Steve commented he was a "clean no nonsense two-way defender." Steve called him highly-intelligent and disciplined.

Both McCarthy and Siedem played on the US NDTP

So it looks like the three AHL signees probably will be decent AHL players with the hope that one could develop into a bottom pair or NHL backup. They help shore up the lack of prospect depth in the system.

On a different note, Steve rated Bryce Brodzinski as the #13 overager in that draft. Brodzinski was drafted by Philadelphia but it appears he will go the free agent route on August 15. Steve called Bryce a skilled forward and noted he won the Minnesota Mr. Hockey award. Steve called him "an unselfishly good set up man with excellent vision and a soft touch." He also said Bryce has an excellent shot. His write up of Bryce's skating is that he is not explosive but left the impression that is was adequate. Finally Steve said Bryce worked hard at defense and in puck battles. I have not seen any indication of what Bryce may be thinking but he certainly knows a great deal about the Rangers organization.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...On a different note, Steve rated Bryce Brodzinski as the #13 overager in that draft. Brodzinski was drafted by Philadelphia but it appears he will go the free agent route on August 15 ... he certainly knows a great deal about the Rangers organization.
If Bryce ever plays a game for Pack,
that would be 4 brothers having dressed for the same team (over time) -
pretty rare I'd guess

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Bison schedule dropped in case anybody wants to plan a trip to cosmopolitan Central Illinois.

Last edited:

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Between 2006 and 2014, Bloomington had teams in the United Hockey League, the International Hockey League (low-level second version), the Central Hockey League, and the Southern Professional Hockey League. Bloomington then had the USHL in there for the next five seasons. No hockey there in the past five years. Anyone know what the arena capacity is?

That said, ECHL expansion teams are often pretty dire, as the good career ECHL players are mostly already locked up. The Pack might have to sign more players than usual to AHL contracts and sent them Bloomington, although they can't sign too many players without running afoul of ECHL rules.

Reactions: kovazub94

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Between 2006 and 2014, Bloomington had teams in the United Hockey League, the International Hockey League (low-level second version), the Central Hockey League, and the Southern Professional Hockey League. Bloomington then had the USHL in there for the next five seasons. No hockey there in the past five years. Anyone know what the arena capacity is?

That said, ECHL expansion teams are often pretty dire, as the good career ECHL players are mostly already locked up. The Pack might have to sign more players than usual to AHL contracts and sent them Bloomington, although they can't sign too many players without running afoul of ECHL rules.
7K..... has been in operation since 2006 and if the way MSG and Hartford have operated wherever the E Affiliate HAS been it's mostly what likely happens is the Bison will sign the majority of players and those on 2 way contracts are limited to three, typically, a F/D/G is what HFD will assign but Bloomington can sign anyone not under contract.... remember, the Pack had Maine when they began in 2018 until the Pandemic.... and most of the on/off ice personnel including Coach Wallin had played in HFD at some point prior to that

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
This article links to another article that's behind a paywall, but apparently Växjö of Sweden is interested in signing Karl Henriksson. Since he's an RFA, he could leave to play overseas even if the Rangers extend a QO. If that happened, we'd retain his rights until he turned 27.

confirmed

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
It's now official.

Translation:

Translation

äxjö Lakers' team building has received another piece of the puzzle. Today they have signed the 23-year-old center Karl Henriksson to play in the club for the next three years
✍️
💬
"It feels inspiring to come to Växjö"

It's now official.

Translation:

Translation

äxjö Lakers' team building has received another piece of the puzzle. Today they have signed the 23-year-old center Karl Henriksson to play in the club for the next three years
✍️
💬
Not surprising. I saw some creativity last year although the production wasn't there. But with the injuries at center he had a bigger role this year and there was no jump in his play. It's best that Hartford brings someone with more creativity in.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's now official.

Translation:

Translation

✍️
💬

Not surprising. I saw some creativity last year although the production wasn't there. But with the injuries at center he had a bigger role this year and there was no jump in his play. It's best that Hartford brings someone with more creativity in.
Unfortunately pretty disappointing pick from the start. He was know and showed to be a “responsible” center but at no time showed attributes that could’ve helped him make a path to the NHL (and for us to see this path). Speed, skill, hands, shot or size - everything and at any point in his career has been far from inspiring.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Unfortunately pretty disappointing pick from the start. He was know and showed to be a “responsible” center but at no time showed attributes that could’ve helped him make a path to the NHL (and for us to see this path). Speed, skill, hands, shot or size - everything and at any point in his career has been far from inspiring.

Man, what a terrible draft. One star forward, one star defensemen, 3 or 4 secondary scoring players, and then a whole lot of nothing.

We took Henriksson with the 58th pick, and there is like, maybe two guys the entire rest of the draft that will have significant NHL careers, *and one of them* is maybe Zac Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad