Value of: Hanifin to the Leafs.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
What does Matthews have to do with this?
You’re a leafs fan, someone suggested to sign Mayfield, I explained that he will be massively overpaid, you didn’t understand the implications of the cap rising so I used a player you could relate to ( Mathews ) so you’d understand my point.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hanifin during his carreer only 2 season he played toughest matchup, last 2 in calgary and had been playing with andersson who maybe one of most underrated D in the league..

Provorov, big part of his carreer wqs playing top matchup playing with partner pretty trash defensive side defensive player in deangelo or ristolainen, braun, ristolainen...The only good partner he had in carreer was Niskanen and during this season was absolutly great...

At best hanifin = Provorov so his value should be close of him...
Hanifin is a better pure defender than Andersson. Andersson is better offensively. Hanifin played on the tough matchup pairing with Tanev 3 seasons ago and the last 2 with Andersson. He has played top competition the past 3 seasons. Rasmus has only played top competition since he was paired with Hanifin the last 2 seasons. Look at how average Rasmus is defensively away from Hanifin. It's a stark difference. Hanifin has better defensive metrics (granted, most of those minutes are with Tanev or Kylington) away from Rasmus than he does with him.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Hanifin is a better pure defender than Andersson. Andersson is better offensively. Hanifin played on the tough matchup pairing with Tanev 3 seasons ago and the last 2 with Andersson. He has played top competition the past 3 seasons. Rasmus has only played top competition since he was paired with Hanifin the last 2 seasons. Look at how average Rasmus is defensively away from Hanifin. It's a stark difference. Hanifin has better defensive metrics (granted, most of those minutes are with Tanev or Kylington) away from Rasmus than he does with him.

you can ignire than when Hanifin reach next step the day he starting to play with Andersson...

Ps tanev is one of best defensive D in NHL... when healthy not sure if its a great comparaison...

But at the end that chance absolutly nothing... Hanifin is a good #2/3 D for sure and his value still close of provorov...

And lets be clear, its not im not liking hanifin... i suggested 2 trade on leafs forum 1 for a nylander vs hanifin kind of deal and a second one for carter Hart because for me its the 2 biggest thing missing for the leafs a 2 way d and a real #1

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
A Leafs first doesn't mean much to me. Neither does Liljegren. I'm sure a dozen teams would offer deals more appealing to Calgary.

Knies would be who they would want. Either that or Nylander 1 for 1. Nylander just gives us the same contract problem though.

Reactions: Boomstick

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
you can ignire than when Hanifin reach next step the day he starting to play with Andersson...

Ps tanev is one of best defensive D in NHL... when healthy not sure if its a great comparaison...

But at the end that chance absolutly nothing... Hanifin is a good #2/3 D for sure and his value still close of provorov...

And lets be clear, its not im not liking hanifin... i suggested 2 trade on leafs forum 1 for a nylander vs hanifin kind of deal and a second one for carter Hart because for me its the 2 biggest thing missing for the leafs a 2 way d and a real #1
Andersson reached the next step with Hanifin. I've watched every game of Andersson's career. Hanifin reached the next step with Tanev in 20-21. You can call him a 2-3 all you want but the fact is Hanifin is a 1 for Anaheim, Arizona, Seattle, Chicago, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Montreal and Toronto without question. There's another half dozen teams where it's debatable. He's a top pairing guy all day long.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Andersson reached the next step with Hanifin. I've watched every game of Andersson's career. Hanifin reached the next step with Tanev in 20-21. You can call him a 2-3 all you want but the fact is Hanifin is a 1 for Anaheim, Arizona, Seattle, Chicago, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Montreal and Toronto without question. There's another half dozen teams where it's debatable. He's a top pairing guy all day long.

Probably why tavev in 20-21 was much better when was playing with gio than Hanifin...

At the end for me provorov is a better overall d, not by much, who played in a worst team to have succes... you can be disagree and maybe youre right, maybe not ...

But at the end, probably both value is similar whatever what our opinion is

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Probably why tavev in 20-21 was much better when was playing with gio than Hanifin...

At the end for me provorov is a better overall d, not by much, who played in a worst team to have succes... you can be disagree and maybe youre right, maybe not ...

But at the end, probably both value is similar whatever what our opinion is
Wait you mean like the last 3 games of the season when he played with Giordano? You think that's an appropriate sample size?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Wait you mean like the last 3 games of the season when he played with Giordano? You think that's an appropriate sample size?

Tanev played 21% of the time with gio in 20-21 ... And the sample of time he didn't player with anderson last 2 should be better when he played 80% of the time together?!?!?!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A Leafs first doesn't mean much to me. Neither does Liljegren. I'm sure a dozen teams would offer deals more appealing to Calgary.

Knies would be who they would want. Either that or Nylander 1 for 1. Nylander just gives us the same contract problem though.

That's why I don't think Calgary would ask for Nylander and would have interest in Lilly.

Lilly is an RFA after next season and as such is cost controlled.

But Lilly is a Dubas guy and Hanifin is a Treliving guy he brought Hanifin to Calgary and I think he's going to want to bring Hanifin to Toronto

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
That's why I don't think Calgary would ask for Nylander and would have interest in Lilly.

But Lilly is a Dubas guy and Hanifin is a Treliving guy he brought Hanifin to Calgary and I think he's going to want to bring Hanifin to Toronto

But why would we have interest in Liljegren? We're gaining Kylington back for free. The whole reason we might trade Hanifin is because we don't need him, our top 4 is solid. I'd take last years Kylington over Liljegren, even if Kylington takes a few months to get back on track, Zadorov can handle #4 duties just fine. But honestly, put him back with Tanev and forget about it. They're the perfect partners for each other.

If they don't think Kylington can come back like he was then trade Tanev and give Hanifin his paycheck.

Knies checks all the boxes for Calgary. Big/skilled/young and cost controlled without enough of a track record to make him unaffordable. I'm sure other teams would value Liljegren more than Calgary

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'm not suggesting they shouldn't break up the core 4, I'm suggesting they won't, because every credible report out there says they have no interest in that, and in this case I tend to believe it because up until now it hasn't even been SLIGHTLY considered, and we know that for a fact.

So until they actually do I won't believe they will.
I’m not saying they have to. It makes it a lot easier to go get the dman they need though. Obviously if they can get Hanifin for a 1st and 2nd, and fit him in salary wise, I’m all for it. He’s worth more than Hronek and Provorov though. Maybe you try to pick pocket Conroy and see if he bites. Maybe he’ll think that’s the going rate forgetting Hanifin is a better player.

I’m just not too sure a lot of people on these boards understand how Hanifin is looked at by managers. In fact I guarantee they don’t. Not suggesting you, but a lot of people on here only see stats and if you ask them to build a Top 6 for their own team, they’d forget the thing that’s probably the most important thing for a manager and coach.

I rarely see the term ever even used on here. “Pair Carrying” is one of the first things you look at when evaluating a dman. Probably 75% of the people on here wouldnt even think of this when building a D-Core. Probably because it’s not an attribute on EASports.

It’s why you’ll hear scouts talk about how good Detroit is going to be in the very near future. To have those two kids for the next ten years is going to be like Carolina with Pesce and Slavin. Like Nashville was with Suter and Weber. It’s also why you rarely ever see guys like that play together. To have one of those players on the ice 45-50 minutes a night, makes life so much easier for everyone else.

Hanifin is in the Top 20 in the league when it comes to this. The play goes through him when he’s on the ice. He retrieves and moves the puck as quickly as most too.

To have him and Rielly, with the role playing dmen they have, they could rival any 6 in the league, minus maybe Vegas and Carolina.

Speaking of Vegas. A name we may hear over the next two weeks is Shea Theodore. He’d have the same impact as Hanifin for the Leafs. Personally I don’t move him if I’m Vegas BUT… his trade protection kicks in July 1st, and out of all of their players, he can get them the most return, while freeing money up. With the development of Hague, and with Lucas Cormier and a couple others coming, AND if they want to resign Barbashev, they could possibly move him. If they win the Cup, they’ll want a little change up too, and won’t be able to resign him in two years. I think it’s a name we should look out for. He plays the right side too, but can play both without anyone ever seeing a difference.

Like I said, I wouldn’t move him, but there’s been some whispers from what I understand. They love Hague and how he’s developed, and they believe Cormier is going to make an impact sooner than they thought. They also love Chayka. So it could be one of those planets aligning things. He won’t be cheap either though, but well worth it. He also plays the right side so well, it would scare me that Detroit would be all over him if he’s made available. Add him to what they got going, that could be a scary blue line in a short time period.

I’ve gone through team after team, and those are the two who could be available. If it’s not Hanifin or Theodore, they can still get a player who can take that pressure off of Rielly. There’s a few out there who are older and not as good as they once were, but who could help the Leafs a ton. Players like Tory Krug or Cam Fowler. People are down on Krug right now but that could be a good thing for a team like the Leafs. Get him cheap. Tory can play both sides pretty easily too. I’ve watched people disregard him since he’s been 10 years old. It’s always been a mistake. Play him with McCabe as an example, that pairing could absolutely be one of the better pairs in the league.

So there’s a variety of options. They can’t ignore it any longer. Dubas just had this philosophy he could win with a bunch of role players on the backend. Guarantee Treliving knows better. He’s basically already said it. Whether it costs Nylander or not (for one of these top players) it needs to get done.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Mayfield probably gets something crazy like 9 million per season on his next contract as a UFA. The leafs can’t afford him.
I doubt it, he's really underrated though... could be sneaky best UFA defenseman available depending on contract he signs... I'd try trade Brodie to a team like Seattle perhaps for a prospect and 2nd pick 23' (toronto's originally) and sign Mayfield to a 4 x 5 deal... and Schenn to a 2 × 2.3... that's a good start right there to improve D and it costs nothing but money and you gain future assets as a bonus...
Would also trade Liljegren as part of a Wilson deal if Capitals want him to play with Sandin maybe lol I think they would do really well together with real opportunity in Washington

As long as Treliving signs players that are fast, smart and will stick up for teammates and will fight, I'll be fine... no more bullshit moneyball guys for the fourth line, that doesn't work in playoff hockey...

Guess we shall see soon enough

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’m not saying they have to. It makes it a lot easier to go get the dman they need though. Obviously if they can get Hanifin for a 1st and 2nd, and fit him in salary wise, I’m all for it. He’s worth more than Hronek and Provorov though. Maybe you try to pick pocket Conroy and see if he bites. Maybe he’ll think that’s the going rate forgetting Hanifin is a better player.

I’m just not too sure a lot of people on these boards understand how Hanifin is looked at by managers. In fact I guarantee they don’t. Not suggesting you, but a lot of people on here only see stats and if you ask them to build a Top 6 for their own team, they’d forget the thing that’s probably the most important thing for a manager and coach.

I rarely see the term ever even used on here. “Pair Carrying” is one of the first things you look at when evaluating a dman. Probably 75% of the people on here wouldnt even think of this when building a D-Core. Probably because it’s not an attribute on EASports.

It’s why you’ll hear scouts talk about how good Detroit is going to be in the very near future. To have those two kids for the next ten years is going to be like Carolina with Pesce and Slavin. Like Nashville was with Suter and Weber. It’s also why you rarely ever see guys like that play together. To have one of those players on the ice 45-50 minutes a night, makes life so much easier for everyone else.

Hanifin is in the Top 20 in the league when it comes to this. The play goes through him when he’s on the ice. He retrieves and moves the puck as quickly as most too.

To have him and Rielly, with the role playing dmen they have, they could rival any 6 in the league, minus maybe Vegas and Carolina.

Speaking of Vegas. A name we may hear over the next two weeks is Shea Theodore. He’d have the same impact as Hanifin for the Leafs. Personally I don’t move him if I’m Vegas BUT… his trade protection kicks in July 1st, and out of all of their players, he can get them the most return, while freeing money up. With the development of Hague, and with Lucas Cormier and a couple others coming, AND if they want to resign Barbashev, they could possibly move him. If they win the Cup, they’ll want a little change up too, and won’t be able to resign him in two years. I think it’s a name we should look out for. He plays the right side too, but can play both without anyone ever seeing a difference.

Like I said, I wouldn’t move him, but there’s been some whispers from what I understand. They love Hague and how he’s developed, and they believe Cormier is going to make an impact sooner than they thought. They also love Chayka. So it could be one of those planets aligning things. He won’t be cheap either though, but well worth it. He also plays the right side so well, it would scare me that Detroit would be all over him if he’s made available. Add him to what they got going, that could be a scary blue line in a short time period.

I’ve gone through team after team, and those are the two who could be available. If it’s not Hanifin or Theodore, they can still get a player who can take that pressure off of Rielly. There’s a few out there who are older and not as good as they once were, but who could help the Leafs a ton. Players like Tory Krug or Cam Fowler. People are down on Krug right now but that could be a good thing for a team like the Leafs. Get him cheap. Tory can play both sides pretty easily too. I’ve watched people disregard him since he’s been 10 years old. It’s always been a mistake. Play him with McCabe as an example, that pairing could absolutely be one of the better pairs in the league.

So there’s a variety of options. They can’t ignore it any longer. Dubas just had this philosophy he could win with a bunch of role players on the backend. Guarantee Treliving knows better. He’s basically already said it. Whether it costs Nylander or not (for one of these top players) it needs to get done.

Living in Alberta, I have gotten to see Hanifin regularly and he'd be a perfect fit here.

I think they would try him with Rielly because you have to try it.

But long term I think he'd end up paired with McCabe or Brodie and that would make our top 4 truly complete.

Up front I wonder about if he tries to bring Toffoli home.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

The Flames do not need Liljegren in a Hanifin deal. Especially not with Kylington coming back.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Nylander is a top line winger on just about every team in the league. He plays 2nd line in Toronto because of Marner.

Hanifin is a good defenseman but I dont think he would be higher in depth chart than Rielly so really he would be an upgrade for the 2nd pairing assuming he plays LD.

I think a deal around the two players is possible but I think if the Leafs are going to trade Nylander they would want someone who fits organizational need more. Leafs need someone who can take some pressure off Rielly. Not sure if Hanifin is that guy. Especially at the cost of Nylander.
Hanifin might officially play on the 2nd pair but like Ekholm in Edmonton he will absolutely be the guy cranking out the big minutes.

Toronto doesn't really have the futures to land Hanifin so any trade for him would have to be based around Nylander. If that doesn't work then my suggestion is Toronto goes after someone like Matt Dumba who's been that guy before

Ledge And Dairy

Hanifin during his carreer only 2 season he played toughest matchup, last 2 in calgary and had been playing with andersson who maybe one of most underrated D in the league..

Provorov, big part of his carreer wqs playing top matchup playing with partner pretty trash defensive side defensive player in deangelo or ristolainen, braun, ristolainen...The only good partner he had in carreer was Niskanen and during this season was absolutly great...

At best hanifin = Provorov so his value should be close of him...
Rasmus Andersson is an offensive defenseman, he's not particularly great defensively but he's not a liability like Tyson Barrie or something. Hanifin does a lot the heavy lifting on that pairing

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
People keep saying that but I disagree I don't think that's the only path to Hanifin in Toronto.

I do think something can be built around Lilly and Hanifin especially since Lilly makes 1.4 million and then is an RFA making him cost controlled.

And to anybody that might ask "why not just keep him then?"

Because Lilly is a Dubas guy, and Hanifin is Treliving guy, Treliving brought Hanifin to Calgary that's his guy.

Now the Leafs probably should break up the core 4, but every credible report out there says they have no interest in doing that and in this case I tend to believe it because up until now it hasn't even been slightly considered, and until they show ANY willingness to break up the core 4 I don't believe they will.

But I don't think Lilly is long for this team.
Liljegren isn't good enough. There is no reason for the Flames to have interest in a fringe bottom pair defenceman..

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
People keep saying that but I disagree I don't think that's the only path to Hanifin in Toronto.

I do think something can be built around Lilly and Hanifin especially since Lilly makes 1.4 million and then is an RFA making him cost controlled.

And to anybody that might ask "why not just keep him then?"

Because Lilly is a Dubas guy, and Hanifin is Treliving guy, Treliving brought Hanifin to Calgary that's his guy.

Now the Leafs probably should break up the core 4, but every credible report out there says they have no interest in doing that and in this case I tend to believe it because up until now it hasn't even been slightly considered, and until they show ANY willingness to break up the core 4 I don't believe they will.

But I don't think Lilly is long for this team.
the reason Nylander is brought up is that, as much as he has high trade value, is that it both allows Hanifin's cap hit and also frees up a little for another asset.
with Lil as the principal moved out, we'd need Kerfoot and Holl''s full cap hit to cover Hanifin (who will also need a new contract and rasie) and not leve the extra $$ for Matthews's deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad