Value of: Hanifin to the Leafs.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
And how much of that would be eaten up by raises for matthews, nylander, and hanifin? You'd have to use what's left to replace all those players you dumped to create the 20M
20 million this year. Regardless of demands by Matthews and Nylander their actual raises on current salaries will be aprox 3 million each. Cap is raising by 4.5 million might just cover their raises.
As weird as this sounds the Leafs most likely will have unspent cap space this year. At least until the deadline.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The only way I see Liljegren being involved is if the Leafs think his absolute ceiling at this point is a #4 guy. Hanifin is a 1 year rental and Liljegren is a potential top 4 RHD who is still young-ish.

Which yeah, maybe that's what they think of him though. I don't know.
Hanifin and Liljegren are only 2 years apart.

Reactions: banks

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It’s going to have to be Nylander, and it will be well worth it. I’m not sure they can even put a package together to get Hanifin otherwise.

Liljegren still needs protection in the NHL and obviously can’t carry a pairing. We just seen that at Worlds. Where Sweden gave him that opportunity and he was atrocious.

You just don’t get a player of Hanifin’s quality without paying the price. These guys don’t grow on trees. You have to draft them, or you pay a huge price to obtain them.

He’s the exact thing they need, to take the pressure off of Rielly come playoff time. He’s a pair carrying Dman and can log a lot of minutes. Much more important than Nylander will ever be. At least when it comes down to winning in the playoffs.

All you have to do is look at teams who win in the playoffs. They have 2, sometimes even 3 “Pair Carrying” Dman. The Leafs have 1. Have some really good role playing Dmen like McCabe and Brodie but they can’t carry a pair. Brodie continues to prove this.

I trade Nylander for him and run to the bank. The window is open. Treliving seems to understand what they need, but he also understands what it’s going to cost. There will be several teams lining up if Hanifin is on the market. You have to do it, or we’d be sitting here again next year looking for the same type of player.

Columbus paid a 1st and a 2nd for provorov who in my mind a better D, lower cap hit for columbus ... but calgary will probably allowing team talking with hanifin for extension but dont expect a much higher value than provorov...

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
It's Nylander or bust from the Leafs IMO. Don't trust Tre on not trading one of the big four. Hamilton wasn't available until he was traded.
I don’t think Nylander is worth significantly more than Hanifin. #2/3 D versus a top six winger. If Leafs want to upgrade on D I think Nylander would be the base for the Flames.
The comment is more general. I don’t think Tre is opposed to moving Nylander if he thinks it improves the Leafs.
Nylander is a top line winger on just about every team in the league. He plays 2nd line in Toronto because of Marner.

Hanifin is a good defenseman but I dont think he would be higher in depth chart than Rielly so really he would be an upgrade for the 2nd pairing assuming he plays LD.

I think a deal around the two players is possible but I think if the Leafs are going to trade Nylander they would want someone who fits organizational need more. Leafs need someone who can take some pressure off Rielly. Not sure if Hanifin is that guy. Especially at the cost of Nylander.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It’s going to have to be Nylander, and it will be well worth it. I’m not sure they can even put a package together to get Hanifin otherwise.

Liljegren still needs protection in the NHL and obviously can’t carry a pairing. We just seen that at Worlds. Where Sweden gave him that opportunity and he was atrocious.

You just don’t get a player of Hanifin’s quality without paying the price. These guys don’t grow on trees. You have to draft them, or you pay a huge price to obtain them.

He’s the exact thing they need, to take the pressure off of Rielly come playoff time. He’s a pair carrying Dman and can log a lot of minutes. Much more important than Nylander will ever be. At least when it comes down to winning in the playoffs.

All you have to do is look at teams who win in the playoffs. They have 2, sometimes even 3 “Pair Carrying” Dman. The Leafs have 1. Have some really good role playing Dmen like McCabe and Brodie but they can’t carry a pair. Brodie continues to prove this.

I trade Nylander for him and run to the bank. The window is open. Treliving seems to understand what they need, but he also understands what it’s going to cost. There will be several teams lining up if Hanifin is on the market. You have to do it, or we’d be sitting here again next year looking for the same type of player.

I'm not suggesting they shouldn't break up the core 4, I'm suggesting they won't, because every credible report out there says they have no interest in that, and in this case I tend to believe it because up until now it hasn't even been SLIGHTLY considered, and we know that for a fact.

So until they actually do I won't believe they will.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nylander is a top line winger on just about every team in the league. He plays 2nd line in Toronto because of Marner.

Hanifin is a good defenseman but I dont think he would be higher in depth chart than Rielly so really he would be an upgrade for the 2nd pairing assuming he plays LD.

I think a deal around the two players is possible but I think if the Leafs are going to trade Nylander they would want someone who fits organizational need more. Leafs need someone who can take some pressure off Rielly. Not sure if Hanifin is that guy. Especially at the cost of Nylander.
You'd be pretty wrong about that. Hanifin is a better defender than anyone the Leafs have by quite a bit. Brodie is probably the closest, not Rielly. Rielly struggles to defend top 6 competition. Hanifin does it with ease.

Reactions: Haatley

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Hanifin would step in and be the Leafs most consistent defender. He would march right into their top 2 and be playing more than 20 minutes a night.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Why do people make incomplete trade scenarios with seemingly very little logic or thoughtfulness... lmfao
This guy for this guy, plus or minus, maybe sorta kinda thing...

Leafs should make a run at a guy like UFA Scott Mayfield before spending assets and cap on Hanifin etc
Mayfield probably gets something crazy like 9 million per season on his next contract as a UFA. The leafs can’t afford him.

• Wow
Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
FWIW, I look at Hanifin as a consistently reliable minute muncher who can play long stretches of relatively mistake-free hockey. He isn't overly physical, but he doesn't get out-muscled very often in a puck battle. He is strong on the transition and has both a very good first-pass out of the zone, or he can reliably and effectively skate the puck up himself and into the offensive zone (he is very good at this). The one thing that holds him back from being a #1 D in my opinion is his lower offensive ability. He doesn't have a big shot, and he doesn't have the offensive creativity that you want to see in a #1, but as you can see from his stats, he is offensively capable. I look at him as a good #2. I think you can pair him reliably with a more offensive defencemen on your top pairing, and he can play big minutes effectively. He is also still relatively young - only 26 years old and already has played 598 games. I do think he is a little underappreciated because of this - everyone acknowledges that Kylington has room to improve (and Andersson), but they are from the exact same draft (2015 - the Marner draft for you Maple Leaf fans). I guess you can look at development purely based on games and conclude that Hanifin is who he is already, or you can look at his age and conclude that - especially since he is a defencemen - one can expect more development in his game.

What's he worth? I won't speculate as I simply am not good at trade proposals, but it would really hurt the Flames' D-core substantially to lose Hanifin right now. I am anticipating that he gets re-signed rather than traded. I do think that the returns should probably reflect how much pain it would cost, especially after an injury to someone else, and watching them have to defend against McDavid.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Columbus paid a 1st and a 2nd for provorov who in my mind a better D, lower cap hit for columbus ... but calgary will probably allowing team talking with hanifin for extension but dont expect a much higher value than provorov...
In what way is Provorov better than Hanifin? I don't think anyone would dispute that Hanifin defends better by a substantial amount. What might surprise you is Hanifin has outscored him in the last 2 seasons as well.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I fully believe that trelilving over from Calgary and I think Hanifin is the guy he's targeting., that's his guy he brought him to calgary and he seems like the most likely to move on that Calgary defense.

what do you think will be going back to Calgary if that deal does happen?

I personally think Lilly will be involved.

I don't think Nylander is involved because by all accounts the Leafs don't seem interested in breaking up the core.

but I do think Lilly will be involved.

I think Brad wants to bild a big defense and Hanifin is 6"3 about 2010 he fits the bill
i dont see Calgary being interested unless Nylander is coming back

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Flames: If Hanifin doesn't sign an extension, we have to trade him. Can't risk another Gaudreau situation with a player one year away from UFA

Everyone: Let's trade Hanifin for Nylander who's one year away from UFA so we can repeat the Gaudreau situation.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames: If Hanifin doesn't sign an extension, we have to trade him. Can't risk another Gaudreau situation with a player one year away from UFA

Everyone: Let's trade Hanifin for Nylander who's one year away from UFA so we can repeat the Gaudreau situation.
If it happened both would be signing extensions

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i dont see Calgary being interested unless Nylander is coming back

People keep saying that but I disagree I don't think that's the only path to Hanifin in Toronto.

I do think something can be built around Lilly and Hanifin especially since Lilly makes 1.4 million and then is an RFA making him cost controlled.

And to anybody that might ask "why not just keep him then?"

Because Lilly is a Dubas guy, and Hanifin is Treliving guy, Treliving brought Hanifin to Calgary that's his guy.

Now the Leafs probably should break up the core 4, but every credible report out there says they have no interest in doing that and in this case I tend to believe it because up until now it hasn't even been slightly considered, and until they show ANY willingness to break up the core 4 I don't believe they will.

But I don't think Lilly is long for this team.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
In what way is Provorov better than Hanifin? I don't think anyone would dispute that Hanifin defends better by a substantial amount. What might surprise you is Hanifin has outscored him in the last 2 seasons as well.

Hanifin during his carreer only 2 season he played toughest matchup, last 2 in calgary and had been playing with andersson who maybe one of most underrated D in the league..

Provorov, big part of his carreer wqs playing top matchup playing with partner pretty trash defensive side defensive player in deangelo or ristolainen, braun, ristolainen...The only good partner he had in carreer was Niskanen and during this season was absolutly great...

At best hanifin = Provorov so his value should be close of him...

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
People keep saying that but I disagree I don't think that's the only path to Hanifin in Toronto.

I do think something can be built around Lilly and Hanifin especially since Lilly makes 1.4 million and then is an RFA making him cost controlled.

And to anybody that might ask "why not just keep him then?"

Because Lilly is a Dubas guy, and Hanifin is Treliving guy, Treliving brought Hanifin to Calgary that's his guy.

Now the Leafs probably should break up the core 4, but every credible report out there says they have no interest in doing that and in this case I tend to believe it because up until now it hasn't even been slightly considered, and until they show ANY willingness to break up the core 4 I don't believe they will.

But I don't think Lilly is long for this team.
Except the Flames are deep on defense and would be trading Hanifin for offensive help. Its great that works for the Leafs, it doesnt for the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad