Speculation: Hanifin to Nashville

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Rumours around the Flames social media community, that NAS and CGY have engaged in talks about Hanifin and are perhaps even further along than just preliminary poking around.

Guy who is putting this information out, broke the Toffoli trade on Flames X (Twitter) prior to it happening.

I haven't cared enough about knowing other teams' prospects in years, what makes sense for both clubs? Let's go on the premise that Hanifin will come and re-sign a long term deal once he's traded.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rumours around the Flames social media community, that NAS and CGY have engaged in talks about Hanifin and are perhaps even further along than just preliminary poking around.

Guy who is putting this information out, broke the Toffoli trade on Flames X (Twitter) prior to it happening.

I haven't cared enough about knowing other teams' prospects in years, what makes sense for both clubs? Let's go on the premise that Hanifin will come and re-sign a long term deal once he's traded.

you should link WHO is saying it. About 10 people has the Toffoli thing about an hour before it happened

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Weird that they'd go for a LD, they're loaded there.

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't see the point for Nashville. But I do accept that maybe Barry Trotz does? He was probably after Pesce. He probably can envision Hanifin as a fallback. He has the Cap space.

I don't understand why the Preds aren't excited about Fabbro, my eye-test says that guy is a whole lot better than they have been treating him, but ok. The votes are in, and they do seem to want to keep adding "bigger" D instead. Fabbro will be a revelation for any team that is lucky enough to snag him. If the Preds were able to trade Fabbro for Hanifin, it's fine by me, even if it's just for 1 year... past that it would really jam up our LD, since we have Josi and McDonagh, and don't really need that depth at LD when we have Lauzon and prospects coming? It seems like a total waste to me. But I do believe it is something that Trotz might be able to envision. :(

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Bond

May 10, 2012
Why would the Flames trade for Fabbro? They need forward help.
That’d be a killer trade for Nashville if the entire thing is based around Fabbro. They’d get more for Hanifin at the deadline

Reactions: bert

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Why would nashville target a LHD when they already have 15+ million tied up in Josi (NMC) and McDonagh (NTC and a contract that makes him unmovable)?
Seems to me like Trotz doesn't even really care about LHD/RHD at this point. He just sees what he thinks is a better player who will help the playoff push more? The way he talked about Schenn after signing him, I totally accept that he just wants BIGGER D. Even if it doesn't make sense in terms of roster-building for the future. Fabbro is a great player and Hynes turned him into a vastly "underrated" player too, but he's definitely not ever going to be "big", alas... :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't really see what the point would be, we have too many Dmen as it is, unless Trotz is going to offload 2 of either Fabbro/Carrier/Lauzon/Barrie in the process.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Seems to me like Trotz doesn't even really care about LHD/RHD at this point. He just sees what he thinks is a better player who will help the playoff push more? The way he talked about Schenn after signing him, I totally accept that he just wants BIGGER D. Even if it doesn't make sense in terms of roster-building for the future. Fabbro is a great player and Hynes turned him into a vastly "underrated" player too, but he's definitely not ever going to be "big", alas... :dunno:
Does Hanifin fit that model? He's good sized but doesnt play "big". I think Fabbro could be moved for a better fitting piece? But yeah, maybe just for the value.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
TL;DR - I don't think either team bothers with chatting if they weren't backed into a corner. Because of how quiet the off season has been, annoyingly, this rumor could have legs.

==================

With McDonagh and Josi as LD, I don't fully understand why the Preds would want Hanifin. Too much quality LD vs lower quality RD. Unless their plan is to extend + train up Hanifin and then trade him for a haul Nashville dman factory style. With the quality of their RD, rolling 3 lines with Josi, McDonagh and Hanifin would be weird but not completely ridiculous. Plus with Hanifin's cap structure, they have options. But don't the Preds need forward help more than defensive help? They could make it work in taking Hanifin, but... why?

Flames, I could see the logic of them target a player like Fabbro. We're ultra thin on RD on the roster (Weegar actually prefers LD even though he's a RHS) and with Tanev often injury prone, RD is a bit weak/potentially dire. I'm not totally certain on the LD/RD aspect when Kylington returns, but certainly there's some juggling options on the second pairing no matter what with whatever might happen with Hanifin (wants to go to US)/Tanev(IR)/Kylington (up to speed)/trade* (fit?). I can't imagine a prospect of high enough calibre that Nashville would add to make the whole idea seem less weird. Flames are backed into a corner and they know it.

But then there's major weird aspects for both sides. Super stacking LD on the Preds seems weird if there are no additional moves to be made for their blue line. The Flames are taking on the biggest risk and likely doing a quality for quantity trade here (might be forced due to circumstances) where the value isn't great for them if they do it now.

Why wouldn't the Flames consider the TDL to trade Hanifin instead and shouldn't the preds be targeting some young forward with Fabbro vs another dman? Like, it's not bad enough that it doesn't automatically make sense to disregard for both teams, but it certainly smells more like a plan C than a plan A or plan B type of move.

Given the cap circumstances of most teams and how quiet the off season has been so far, this facet annoyingly seems like it's adding smoke and credibility to the basis of whether the two teams are actually conversing. Almost like two GMs blowing steam and chatting about how they'd rather benefit each other rather than some other asshole out there openly exploiting the fact they know these guys are backed into a corner.

Reactions: Chainshot

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I don't really see what the point would be, we have too many Dmen as it is, unless Trotz is going to offload 2 of either Fabbro/Carrier/Lauzon/Barrie in the process.
man...barrie should be so pissed if he has to go back to alberta and it isn't even the good team lmao.

i do mean no disrespect to flames fans but i am sure it didn't come off that way :/

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Unless theyre planning on moving McD, or one of them can play RD, it doesnt make sense to me. I mean a player of Hanifin would be awesome to pickup, but theres already such a logjam on defense as is.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Hanifin doesn't want to be in Calgary, you get what you can for him. Fabbro is a pretty decent dman.

images

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad