Proposal: Hamonic Replacement for Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It is sounding more and more like Vancouver will be without the services of Travis Hamonic. Recent reports indicate he would prefer to be in a US market, and he is considering opting out or retiring all together. RHD was already a weak spot for the Canucks, so assuming Hamonic is not going to play in Vancouver the Canucks will need an inexpensive RHD to fill out the roster. I have listed a few of the type of player the Canucks might be able to find this late in the season. What would be the asking price for the players listed? Are there other players potentially available that I did not consider?

M. Benning (Nsh -I know another Benning)
Lauzon (Sea)
Borgen (Sea)
Fleury (Sea)
Strand (LA)
Ruuta (TB)
TVR (Wsh)
Juulsen (Fla)
Clifton (Bos)

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Rutta is who you mean on Tampa and I imagine they'd move him with Foote ready for full time duty and Bogo coming back, he played well in the playoffs though and I'm sure a number of teams would be interested in him at 1.3 if he was made available.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
It is sounding more and more like Vancouver will be without the services of Travis Hamonic. Recent reports indicate he would prefer to be in a US market, and he is considering opting out or retiring all together. RHD was already a weak spot for the Canucks, so assuming Hamonic is not going to play in Vancouver the Canucks will need an inexpensive RHD to fill out the roster. I have listed a few of the type of player the Canucks might be able to find this late in the season. What would be the asking price for the players listed? Are there other players potentially available that I did not consider?

Lauzon (Sea)
Borgen (Sea)
Fleury (Ana)
Strand (LA)
Ruuta (TB)
TVR (Wsh)
Juulsen (Fla)
Clifton (Bos)
Lauzon is not going anywhere, I think he’s part of the long term plan in Seattle….

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

Lauzon (Sea)
Borgen (Sea)
Fleury (Ana)
Strand (LA)
Ruuta (TB)
TVR (Wsh)
Juulsen (Fla)
Clifton (Bos)
Just hope the Canucks don’t give up any assets…. There should be lots of options on waivers….

Hamonic out and Keeper out…

you really don’t want Schenn in your top 6… great 7-8 guy…. Then Bowey can be your deep spare…. I think they really need a good addition on the right side….

Myers is so bad defensively, I’m hopeful Canucks make an add…

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Why not just give someone like Woo a shot? It’s not like you guys are contending and you have a number of prospects that are getting up there in age.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Why not just give someone like Woo a shot? It’s not like you guys are contending and you have a number of prospects that are getting up there in age.

This is a team that traded their last 2 firsts. It has no long-term goals. Management and ownership's only objective is to get into the playoffs.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
What reports?
Everything I've ever heard is that he wanted to be in Western Canada and was avoiding Covid for family reasons.
It’s logical he would accept a trade to any team that would allow him to play unvaccinated… however that is purely speculation on my part….

I doubt teams will put their entire teams at risk though….

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
It’s logical he would accept a trade to any team that would allow him to play unvaccinated… however that is purely speculation on my part….

I doubt teams will put their entire teams at risk though….
Where does this anti vaccine talk come from, do you have a link to a story?
From what I understand he has at risk family and is avoiding unnecessary Covid exposure.

Reactions: BatVader

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
From what I understand he has at risk family and is avoiding unnecessary Covid exposure.
Yeah he's an interesting case, and no one can really tease out exactly what's going on.

He opted out of the covid season to protect his immune compromised daughter, but appears to be taking issue with the full vaccination requirement that the Canucks have. Friedman seemed to clarify last night that he isn't fully unvaccinated, but also isn't fully vaccinated.

Honestly it doesn't make a ton of sense, there seems to be some key information missing from the story.

Reactions: ratbid

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012

I was thinking the same thing. The guy is not anti vaccine at all. Can anyone who has said this provide a link to where they got this info? He has dealt with multiple family health concerns over his career and is extremely family focused (see trade request out of NYI, opting out of bubble, reported anger with the teams handling of COVID last year, particularly Gaudette). The guy has a daughter who is immunocompromised and is willing to give up his entire career due to concerns of other players being careless and it somehow causing him to bring it home to his daughter (yes you can still transmit it even if he follows all protocol and safety concerns). Somehow he's anti-vaxx?

I say applaud the guy for carefully considering a really difficult decision (whatever he chooses) to keep his family safe.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Lauzon (Sea)
Borgen (Sea)
Fleury (Ana)
Strand (LA)
Ruuta (TB)
TVR (Wsh)
Juulsen (Fla)
Clifton (Bos)
I don't see Benning being available from Nashville. He has his warts, but as the fourth RD on our depth chart, he'll still presumably get into a fair number of games given the NHL injury attrition, and he was certainly competent doing that last year. He's not "surplus" to us.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I was thinking the same thing. The guy is not anti vaccine at all. Can anyone who has said this provide a link to where they got this info? He has dealt with multiple family health concerns over his career and is extremely family focused (see trade request out of NYI, opting out of bubble, reported anger with the teams handling of COVID last year, particularly Gaudette). The guy has a daughter who is immunocompromised and is willing to give up his entire career due to concerns of other players being careless and it somehow causing him to bring it home to his daughter (yes you can still transmit it even if he follows all protocol and safety concerns). Somehow he's anti-vaxx?

I say applaud the guy for carefully considering a really difficult decision (whatever he chooses) to keep his family safe.
For the record I didn’t say anything about anti vaccine I mentioned unvaccinated…. And I also said it was pure speculation….

there are several reports from local media eluding to it…

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
For the record I didn’t say anything about anti vaccine I mentioned unvaccinated…. And I also said it was pure speculation….

there are several reports from local media eluding to it…
It would help if you posted those sources if you are going to make the insinuation.

Reactions: ratbid

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Yikes… ya’ll can just Google these things if you’re not caught up with current events.

it’s not hidden Hamonic doesn’t want to play in Vancouver and it’s vaccination and/or vaccine policy related.

but derailing threads is fun too

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I find this so odd. Why would he sign in Vancouver only to ask for a trade 2 months later without playing a game? I feel he either plays for the Canucks, opts out or retires.
I wonder if they may mutually agree to terminate his contract so he can seek out his own deal in the US?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I find this so odd. Why would he sign in Vancouver only to ask for a trade 2 months later without playing a game? I feel he either plays for the Canucks, opts out or retires.
In terms of covid, I don’t think things were as bad when he signed the contract

Reactions: BlueSeal

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Depending on how Wideman, Niku and even Evans (indirectly) continue playing this pre season, I could see the Habs trade Kulak to try to save some cap (maybe to acquire a 3C).
I was actually just thinking earlier this week that I could see the Canucks get him. Wouldn’t cost them much and he can play both sides. But again, too early yet to call right now if MB wants to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad