Proposal: Hall for Tavares

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
:leafs : Taylor Hall LW 1 year left at 6 Million

:hawks: John Tavares C 1 year left at 11 Million

The biggest obstacle will be John Tavares NMC but ASSUMING he waives do you think this deal makes sense, Gives Toronto cap space they make a major change and get to keep Marner who imo would be a mistake trading.

For Chicago they gain cap space but they get Bedard help to take away some responsibility as a 2C, He would be a lot more impactful for Bedard than Hall.

So what do you think what would you add or would you swap them 1 FOR 1.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
As a Leafs fan, I would definitely do this. If Chicago likes it too, then sign us up.

...Tavares is unlikely to waive, though. Even if the Leafs tell him they are definitely not keeping him past this year, he's likely to say "one more year in Toronto is better than zero more years" and not waive. You don't have to just convince Tavares. You have to convince his wife as well.

Leafs could use this extra cap space to more aggressively try to reshape our defense, as well as sign two forwards. Bertuzzi AND Domi, or potentially somebody new or two new players.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
As a Leafs fan, I would definitely do this. If Chicago likes it too, then sign us up.

...Tavares is unlikely to waive, though. Even if the Leafs tell him they are definitely not keeping him past this year, he's likely to say "one more year in Toronto is better than zero more years" and not waive. You don't have to just convince Tavares. You have to convince his wife as well.
I mean they could just sign with the leafs after this season and keep their current homes or they could live in Chicago which is one of the best cities in the world, so imo they can just jump the gun and get ahead of UFA and the contract they re-sign will probably be of higher value than the one they would sign in Toronto. IMO with enough of a push he'd waive.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I mean they could just sign with the leafs after this season and keep their current homes
For the purposes of changing the locker room culture and team identity, a lot of fans want Marner and Tavares gone. It's time to turn the page and change the mentality. They would say "trade Marner for the best you can get for him, and under no circumstances give Tavares a new contract".

• Haha
Reactions: sd1976

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
For the purposes of changing the locker room culture and team identity, a lot of fans want Marner and Tavares gone. It's time to turn the page and change the mentality. They would say "trade Marner for the best you can get for him, and under no circumstances give Tavares a new contract".
Literally every player on the leafs say they like Marner if anyone is to blame for locker room culture it would be the captain but imo it isn't about locker room mentality I just believe they were never better than the teams they lost to, even the Montreal Canadians who went to the SCF.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Literally every player on the leafs say they like Marner if anyone is to blame for locker room culture it would be the captain but imo it isn't about locker room mentality I just believe they were never better than the teams they lost to, even the Montreal Canadians who went to the SCF.
The culture problem isn't because they dislike each other...even the other team probably likes Marner.

If you don't think the have better players than some of the teams they've lost to, it would be a very hard argument to make outside of the playoff series.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What's the incentive for Chicago here? Hall is vastly cheaper so flipping him at the deadline is way easier, and he doesn't have a full NTC so he can't force himself to 1 place only
I guess the incentive would be real cash of 1 million after the signing bonus vs real cash of 6 million. But I don't see Chicago really caring much about that. I think Tavares at 50% to a deadline contender in a potential 3 way trade to retain as much as possible, probably nets them a better return than retaining 50% on Hall, should he even be healthy. But I don't think it's worth going down that road.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I mean they could just sign with the leafs after this season and keep their current homes or they could live in Chicago which is one of the best cities in the world, so imo they can just jump the gun and get ahead of UFA and the contract they re-sign will probably be of higher value than the one they would sign in Toronto. IMO with enough of a push he'd waive.

Do you mean NA? Because the world is very big and I doubt Chicago is cracking most top lists of best cities to live in. Toronto however is usually in top-10 or right outside the top-10 in the world. So not seeing the logic here.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't get the obsession with Tavares. He has 1 year left and then is either going to walk (unlikely) or sign a cheap deal because he has made his money and just wants to play close to home (likely).

And even if Tavares is probably a 7M player today instead of an 11M one, he is a hell of a lot better than Hall

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
None of the fans are in the room, none of the fans have a clue what the locker room culture is like.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Hf thinks tavaras is garbage is getting old. Once his contract is up, if he signs at a discount, I'd welcome it.

He has lost a step in regards to speed, but he's very much a positive asset. If he makes 3c money on the next one, I'd say that's a solid start for the 3rd line.

Problem is we don't have a 2c.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Why would Tavares even consider waiving his NMC when he can be a UFA after the season? He gains no benefit at all and he gets to go to one of the worst teams in the league. Sign me up!

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Do you mean NA? Because the world is very big and I doubt Chicago is cracking most top lists of best cities to live in. Toronto however is usually in top-10 or right outside the top-10 in the world. So not seeing the logic here.
Couldn’t pay me to live in Toronto. Those lists rarely reflect reality. That’s coming from someone who lives in a city that’s almost always listed at the top of QOL rankings (Minneapolis). Chicago >> Toronto. But these are just opinions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad