Post-Game Talk: Habs VS Leafs | Septembre 25th - 7pm | RDS

Will you watch this preseason game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Caulfield is a rookie...we have no clue what to expect...teams will target him and punish him physically. Hoffman, we don't know either. He did not play well at the start with St.Louis - there is a reason why is on his fourth team in five years.

As for Price, you do realize there is a regular season that needs to be played right?
Caufield will net minimum 20G and majority on PP and 3-on-3OT - both areas Habs have been disastrous for years.

Hoffman is guaranteed PP production - he did the same last season w STL as he’s done his entire career

As for Price, that’s why depth in net matters, Allen being the best backup in the league, especially given the Mtl market

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It just doesn't mean anything. Veteran's aren't even trying at this point. Listen to any vet talk about the preseason and they will tell you how little the results matter as it is essentially a glorified prsctice.
Still, better to have won than lost. And wouldn’t all of us feel better if Poehling had scored two goals and been a threat every shift?

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Thank you, that's all i'm saying, that other teams can weather key injuries and maybe drop a little...we can't and our "drop" is to dead last.

Yeah let's see how Boston would do without McAvoy and Bergeron or how NYR would do without Panarin and Fox? I can take almost every teams in the NHL outside of maybe 5 teams and I can guarantee you they would be in bad shape....

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah let's see how Boston would do without McAvoy and Bergeron or how NYR would do without Panarin and Fox? I can take almost every teams in the NHL outside of maybe 5 teams and I can guarantee you they would be in bad shape....
Lol Lafrefreniere on his own can replace Panarin then you add Kakko, Kratsov, Kreider,etc

The rest of their defense is young and better than ours

Boston I agree, and I say the same every year and every year they somehow pull it off

Reactions: cphabs

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Lol Lafrefreniere on his own can replace Panarin then you add Kakko, Kratsov, Kreider,etc

The rest of their defense is young and better than ours

Boston I agree, and I say the same every year and every year they somehow pull it off

Lafreniere can replace a top 10 player in the NHL? Lol

Did you watch the NYR lay year? If yes you would know that Kakko was pretty bad all season long.... Kravstov? Yeah a rookie player is going to replace Panarin.

Nobody on that team can replace the Norris trophy winner, no one.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Still, better to have won than lost. And wouldn’t all of us feel better if Poehling had scored two goals and been a threat every shift?

Of course it is encouraging when a player does something special but even then it has to be acknowledged that it means very little. It is the mindless attempt to find faults in player's games in the first game of preseason that exposes people as being clueless to what is actually taking place.

Poehling had some very good shifts and the goal that Tremblay and friends tried to blame on him was more the defenders fault for being grossly out of position. He was playing with scrubs in a meaningless game........nothing to see here.

Winning or losing this game is exactly 100% irrelevant as an indicator for both individual and organizational success this season. It doesn't have 0.00000001% correlation to this up coming season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schooner Guy

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Of course it is encouraging when a player does something special but even then it has to be acknowledged that it means very little. It is the mindless attempt to find faults in player's games in the first game of preseason that ezposes people as being clueless to what is actually taking place.

Poehling had some very good shifts and the goal that Tremblay and friends tried to blame on him was more the defenders fault for being grossly out of position. He was playing with scrubs in a meaningless game........nothing to see here.

Winning or losing this game is exactly 100% irrelevant as an indicator for both individual and organizational success this season. It doesn't have 0.00000001% correlation to this up coming season.

Of course it is encouraging when a player does something special but even then it has to be acknowledged that it means very little. It is the mindless attempt to find faults in player's games in the first game of preseason that exposes people as being clueless to what is actually taking place.

Reactions: cphabs

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I was really surprised how Fairbrother handled himself. Great positioning and calm as a cucumber. As for Xhekaj, I don’t agree with you, I think he looked lost and always a step behind. Him and Ouellette were in way above their heads.
Kulak had a decent game, and aside from his brain fart, McNiven looked a lot more solid than Primeau .
Poehling had a slow start but had a very good 3rd period ; I hope he builds from that 3rd and comes out f.s.a. next game.
Overall, a disappointing showing from most guys. Toronto came out flying and we couldn’t match their speed all night.
That's because Ouellet is useless and drags down any D partner he's with. I want to see Fairbrother with Xhekaj.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Okay. But those saying that Montreal is worse than everyone else if they lose two of their key players is operating in bad faith. Because they are assuming everyone else is deep and can overcome that situation.

Indeed, most teams are in our situation... mediocrity is where most sit.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
??

Gallagher has net 30G+ each of last-2 seasons prior to Covid years, he prorated 30+ even during last two Covid seasons

Anderson will deliver 20-25G big body physicality as he’s done every year of his NHL career except the 1-season derailed by multiple injuries in CBJ.

Caufield + Hoffman will improve 3-on-3 OT / Shootout and PP - an upgrade from last years regular season team

As for Price, he’s had the best playoff sv PCR for any goalie with 25GP+ since 2014. Last playoffs was not different than the 202o, 2017, 2015 or 2014 playoffs.

None of the above is “hoping” its factual based on the players career trends

The strategy is to qualify for playoffs by outlasting divisional opponents based on 23-man roster depth over an 82-game season, that cannot be matched by any divisional opponent and only 1-other team in the Eastern Conf (Isles)

Good gawd you like your "factual" pom-pom waving narratives.

We don't have a 23 man roster depth. That's delusional. Yes we have depth at wing and goalie, that's it. Our D is ultra thin in talent and depth, so much that they are already out of their depth, half of them playing over their position.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Poehling didn't look great, but neither did Paquette or Perrault or Vejdemo or Belzille... those are the guys he is competing with for a spot. In fact all those guys looked pretty bad at first and got better as the game went on... like Poehling. The issue is that Poehling is waiver excempt, so he will have to win a spot from those guys outright.

Dauphin was not really good either, he made Poehling look worse quite a few times.

Last edited:

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
"No ties in hockey, and no ties on our broadcast team tonight either" or something like that lol
Dude, the entire broadcast makes me feel dumber by the second of listening to those luminary minds from Toronto Nation or whatever they call their club. That whole homer thing has become tiresome af. It does some serious harshing of my mellow.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad