Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs Leafs (line changes)

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Did Eller suddenly become good on the wing? He's never performed well there.
He never seem to care much about performing on the wing. But he's a big boy now, with a big boy contract, and he has to try harder. He has all the tools to play well on the wing, there's no reason why he can't be at least decent like DD.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Does it really matter what the lines are when all the team needs to win is Price to Price, Subban to Subban, and Pacioretty to Pacioretty. Boom 2-1 win while being outplayed heavily.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Either we are showcasing some players, which could very well be the case here, or Therrien is a complete idiot.
i'm kind a lost for words about these changes

De La Rose can take center role, on a defensive line at 19 yo with around 50 games in North Ameria....and Galchenyuk isn't good enough to take an offensive role at 21 after 2 1/2 years in the NHL. BS

Sekac....i put him in the same bag as Eller.
The kid got skills, size and some grit to his game....like Eller, Therrien refuses to give him a shot in an offensive role. And it's not like the guys ahead of him are doing an incredible job.

We've seen some obvious chemistry between players (Plek-Max, EGG line, Sekac-Eller) and yet Therrien keep changing those good combos for no good reasons and do his best for not trying them anymore.

When Parenteau comes back, pretty sure Therrien will put him on our top line...didn't work in the past, but Therrien....

eastcoast72

Sep 19, 2011
Sekac stats:

1 goal in the last 24 games
1 assist in the last 15 games
Averaging about 14 mins a game

....yes, Jiri, it is time to watch from the press box.

He is a Habs prospect - and, yes, a good one - that luckily bypassed the developmental trip through Hamilton.

He should consider himself fortunate that he's dressed so many games while producing such miniscule numbers with generous minutes.

Getting scratched the odd game is no big deal at all.

The unconditional love affair this message board has for Sekac is mind-boggling.

CanadianODST

Dec 17, 2014
Sekac stats:

He is a Habs prospect - and, yes, a good one - that luckily bypassed the developmental trip through Hamilton.

He should consider himself fortunate that he's dressed so many games while producing such miniscule numbers with generous minutes.

The unconditional love affair this message board has for Sekac is mind-boggling.

This, STOP B*TCHING.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's not about points..those are largely circumstancial, I don't expect Sekac to put up tons of points, he doesn't play enough for that.

however, I do expect him to show that he deserves more icetime...so far, nothing in 2015.

I understand this but I also have to feel for the kid. He did look good right out of the gate and got scratched for it. Then he doesn't do much..gets PP time. Creates some good presence there, is removed.

Therrien has already been all over the place with his handling of players. There's really not much consistency from him.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Either we are showcasing some players, which could very well be the case here, or Therrien is a complete idiot.
i'm kind a lost for words about these changes

De La Rose can take center role, on a defensive line at 19 yo with around 50 games in North Ameria....and Galchenyuk isn't good enough to take an offensive role at 21 after 2 1/2 years in the NHL. BS

Sekac....i put him in the same bag as Eller.
The kid got skills, size and some grit to his game....like Eller, Therrien refuses to give him a shot in an offensive role. And it's not like the guys ahead of him are doing an incredible job.

We've seen some obvious chemistry between players (Plek-Max, EGG line, Sekac-Eller) and yet Therrien keep changing those good combos for no good reasons and do his best for not trying them anymore.

When Parenteau comes back, pretty sure Therrien will put him on our top line...didn't work in the past, but Therrien....

I actually checked.

Sekac-Eller have produced exactly ONE goal together in the last THIRTY THREE games. That's some chemistry.

Btw good job avoiding to mention the obvious Pac-DD combo. If Sekac and Eller have obvious chemistry, I wonder what those two have...

HabsDieHard*

I actually checked.

Sekac-Eller have produced exactly ONE goal together in the last THIRTY THREE games. That's some chemistry.

Btw good job avoiding to mention the obvious Pac-DD combo. If Sekac and Eller have obvious chemistry, I wonder what those two have...

Pacioretty is one of the most productive even strength and overall goal producers in the last 3 seasons.

When you look at Desharnais' assist totals over that time frame his results are actually incredibly underwhelming.

All playing with Desharnais does is hinder Paciorettys' assist totals.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He never seem to care much about performing on the wing. But he's a big boy now, with a big boy contract, and he has to try harder. He has all the tools to play well on the wing, there's no reason why he can't be at least decent like DD.
Totally stupid to play Eller on the wing when he's a solid center. Just flat out dumb to put him there.
Quoted for lack of knowledge about hockey
Says the guy who's argued that more shots against is part of our strategy...

HabsDieHard*

Totally stupid to play Eller on the wing when he's a solid center. Just flat out dumb to put him there.

Says the guy who's argued that more shots against is part of our strategy...

Galchenyk at 20 years old isn't "ready" to get offensively insulated minutes at center with the teams' best offensive forward and one of the bets goal scoresr in the league.

But 19 year old De La Rose is "ready" to play 3rd line center minutes and warrants moving Eller to the wing.

This teams' coaches and management might collectively have their heads up their own ***** and we might have to come to grips wtih that sooner or later.

Saintpatrick*

Sekac stats:

He's working hard though and great on the forecheck. When DD was in his slump he got a lot of slack from this coaching staff because he was working hard. Guess that applies to some players and not others. I wonder why that is....

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Therrien is now certainly the one person I most detest as the coach of the Habs since I became a Habs fan.

I like De La Rose a lot, but what in the world has he shown in 3 games to prove to Therrien that he is a better third-line center than Eller!? Does this fool not understand that he has only himself to blame for the reasons why Eller isn't producing?

If you are going to demote Prust to the 4th line and scratch Sekac, shouldn't that tell you that perhaps they are the reason why Eller may not be producing? So why replace Eller with the rookie we HOPE will become an Eller one day?

How can anyone expect Eller to produce more than he is currently when he isn't given opportunities to excel offensively and has a 4th liner and a rookie who is still adapting to NHL as his linemates?

Speaking of Sekac, the guy doesn't deserve to be scratched, he is doing fairly okay as a third-liner. What him and Eller need is a better offensive threat on their line. It's that simple.

And to think that DD continues to get promotions and affirmations no matter his poor play and that Galchenyuk is still not a center.

Our poor record with Tokarski in net should tell us how average we really are as a team without Carey Price. If we were playing well as a team, if we were well-coached, our record wouldn't be as bad with Tokarski in net, considering that he is a fairly good goalie and is in net against the worst teams in the league.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Bergevin clearly understands Eller's value or else he wouldn't have given Eller that contract. Disturbingly, Therrien doesn't seem to share Bergevin thinking.

If Bergevin trades Eller, I will be very disappointed in him, and utterly furious with Therrien. As I am sure that if Eller is traded to another team, his coach will know that Eller is an adequate second line center and a very good third-line center if used with intellect.

The fact that Eller may be being shopped, and not Deshairnais absolutely sickens me. Deshairnais is simply benefiting from Patches' brilliance, similar to Wiese. That doesn't make Wiese a better player than Sekac, in the same way it doesn't make DD a better center than Eller, Chucky, or Plekanec.

Sigh.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
He's working hard though and great on the forecheck. When DD was in his slump he got a lot of slack from this coaching staff because he was working hard. Guess that applies to some players and not others. I wonder why that is....

Infuriating, isn't it?

HabsDieHard*

If you are going to demote Prust to the 4th line and scratch Sekac, shouldn't that tell you that perhaps they are the reason why Eller may not be producing? So why replace Eller with the rookie we HOPE will become an Eller one day?

Indeed. A couple weeks ago Therrien was saying Eller needs to produce more offence...

He's had a revolving door of wingers and his most often linemates are a career 4th liner and a rookie not having a very easy time with things offensively right now.

Bizarre.

I can't imagine how Eller would do if he went to Chicago and played on a line with Kane....

He's never once in his career played for a significant length of time with a high end winger who can create space out there.

I actually kind of like a De La Rose-Eller-Thomas line, but I would hope Eller is down the middle.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes, because if DD picks up another 3 soft points (like he did against NJD), he'll be cemented in the lineup for the next 10 games regardless of results.

Good grief. When Galchenyuk or Eller gets three points, no one ever even looks to see if any were "soft". We're just happy for the player and glad the team benefits.

I love Galchenyuk, think DD is not as good as Plekanec 8 games out of 10, and that Davey would be a middle-6 forward if I had my druthers and not a long-term first-line guy, but the DD hate here only shows some haters to be completely irrational.

Criticize him when he is NOT producing or not backchecking? OK. But when he is? Over a several game period?? And worse, not saying lou4gehrig is one of them, some folks literally resenting his success because it might mean that he continues to get more playing time than a rookie who has virtually no points in two months (Sekac)??? I wonder if such people are really fans of the team and not just folks who need to be "right" all the time.

Almost everyone here would agree to give a player with a hot hand more ice time until he cools off.......unless his name is Desharnais.

I'm not even a fan of this player, but I don't get it. My man Tomas Plekanec had two huge brain farts in a 2.5 minute span late in the third Tuesday night, and so-called Habs fans are harping on Desharnais, last week's third star in the league.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Lines I propose:
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Plekanec
Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Eller-Sekac
Desharnais-Weise

1st wave PP:
Pacioretty-Eller-Sekac
Galchenyuk-Subban

2nd wave PP:
Galchenyuk-Pacioretty-Subban
Eller-Sekac

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Good grief. When Galchenyuk or Eller gets three points, no one ever even looks to see if any were "soft". We're just happy for the player and glad the team benefits.

I love Galchenyuk, think DD is not as good as Plekanec 8 games out of 10, and that Davey would be a middle-6 forward if I had my druthers and not a long-term first-line guy, but the DD hate here only shows some haters to be completely irrational.

Criticize him when he is NOT producing or not backchecking? OK. But when he is? Over a several game period?? And worse, not saying lou4gehrig is one of them, some folks literally resenting his success because it might mean that he continues to get more playing time than a rookie who has virtually no points in two months (Sekac)??? I wonder if such people are really fans of the team and not just folks who need to be "right" all the time.

Almost everyone here would agree to give a player with a hot hand more ice time until he cools off.......unless his name is Desharnais.

I'm not even a fan of this player, but I don't get it. My man Thomas Plekanec had two huge brain farts in a 2.5 minute span late in the third Tuesday night, and so-called Habs fans are harping on Desharnais, last week's third star in the league.

I guess it depends on how you view them. I could easily say that the people ''resenting DD's success'' do so because they feel this course of action isn't good for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad