Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs Leafs (line changes)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Good luck guys.

Blow us out please. Excited to see Galchenyuk and Patches play

Yeah like that's gonna happen. With the way the Habs have been playing against bad teams this year and with the Leafs losing 12 straight or so on the road now your Leafs will win this game.

The Habs are great against good teams for the most part and terrible against bottom feeders. It's just the Habs way this season. Sorry for giving the Leafs 2 points and ruining the tank a little. :)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think there's a lot to work with Sekac...but at some point, he has to show more than what he has. He looks great with the puck in the neutral zone, but when he enters in the offensive zone, he's pretty repetitive, he'll take the puck along the wall, behind the net, and send it back to the D. He also has to work on getting his shot off more quickly.

When I compare Sekac to Thomas the last dozen games or so, I've seen more from Thomas than I have in Sekac. The goal that Thomas scored last night is the result of a few games of strong play.

I don't disagree with sitting out Sekac for a few...

Both Eller and Sekac have average releases. They took quite a bit of time to get the shot off compared to more gifted players in the league/habs. It's something they can both stand to improve obviously but as is, I'm not concerned. Still, Sekac needs to shoot more in general, not unlike DD. I believe they shoot the least among our forwards but have had decent success while getting it to the net.

Thomas is playing for a chance at his dream. Sekac is more going through the motions. It's a little different.

Still, will I cry if Sekac is out? Not really. He's got some upside but he hasn't done much as of late so not the end of the world. As long as the coaching staff communicates to him what he needs to watch from press box and what he needs to work on I'm certainly more comfortable with the idea.

I can only hope that during the off-season a guy like him, with impeccable conditioning, continues to add some muscle. With some extra size he can get into traffic with more ease and get more shots on net.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Oh, yeah, I agree, he is an outstanding player. I'm just saying that it didn't take much to remove Galchenyuk/Plekanec from his line so by the same logic if DD plays as bad as he did yesterday against Toronto he should be removed too. We all know that won't happen though.

Galchenyuk was getting 72.5% zone starts. With that type of usage it almost makes sense it was a trial run.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Not sure how I feel about the line up. Id love to see Sekac play on one of the top 2 lines when he comes back into the lineup.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I absolutely hate Therrien, I wish he would be gone... but.

Sekac, although I really like him, has been making a lot of mistakes defensively while not generating much offensively... so it's kind of deserving.

As for Eller, his time is running out. He got his paycheck, yet he's not delivering... needs to get his act together and fast.

Gilbert... well good riddence, sit, enjoy the game, think a little and start playing like your job depended on it.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
They way Gilbert played last night and most of the season, he deserves to be benched for the remainder of his contract.

As for Sekac, as much as I like him, he needs to start putting up points.

Not an MT fan, But I'm behind him on this one.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If Eller's going to be on the wing, it would be interesting to see this top 6:

Patches DD Eller
Galchenyuk Pleks Gally
Sekac DLR Thomas
Prust Bournival Weise

mtlhockeyfan

Dec 30, 2009
If Eller's going to be on the wing, it would be interesting to see this top 6:

Patches DD Eller
Galchenyuk Pleks Gally
Sekac DLR Thomas
Prust Bournival Weise

Eller is not playing why would we give him a reward? Any way the roster is tweaked we will always lack a true first line scorer unless a trade is made.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Eller is not playing why would we give him a reward? Any way the roster is tweaked we will always lack a true first line scorer unless a trade is made.

Our forwards needs are a #1 RW and #1C or #2LW, depending on where you play Galchenyuk. It would probably be easier/cheaper to look for #2LW though.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
My thoughts are the Habs are giving JDLR a look at center while also giving both defensive centers Eller & Malhotra a breather against some of the weaker opposition. Developing our young prospects in the time honored ways used by the Habs, should give them options for every possible opponent when the playoffs arrive. Detroit & Tampa are very much mirror images, no doubt that's due to Steve Yzerman's(Tampa's GM) influence from his days in the Detroit organization, two team's that use speed(in transition game and the possession game) to overcome stifling checking games with great results. Then there are Pittsburgh, NYI's and NYR's all teams that can match the Habs with speed, physicality, great goaltending and checking.

One other thought is Tampa(Bishop,Vasilievsky) has a very good one/two punch in nets similar to the Habs(Price/Tokarski) unlike last season, and Hedman has flourished with huge icetime this season also. The size of Tampa's defence is very hard on the smaller forwards, teams with bigger Dmen seem far easier to keep the front of their nets clear, with good reason. Look no further than Philadelphia's defence against the Habs after beating Pittsburgh & Washington yrs. ago, they were at a loss to get close to the Flyers net and score against their tight defensive system.

The development of our young energy line for the playoffs is vital in any series against either Detroit or Tampa, which seems inevitable if the Habs are to mount a serious run for the Stanley Cup this spring IMHO.:nod:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For comparison's sake, what's DD's % zone start since he's back with Pacioretty? Is it similare? I honestly don't know.
Both have virtually identical numbers overall. When paired with Max, DD's at about 64% and Chuck's at about 72%. Not a whole lot of difference.

Pleks with Max on the other hand is 38 percent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad