Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs Kings

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I thought I read somewhere that the defenders met with MSL during preseason and told them they were basically done with his man-to-man coverage concept, and wanted to go back to the more universal zone D. I think they're trying to develop a new team strategy and it's just not going very well right now.

Hopefully we pick up the pace, or we'll be out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving again.
Otherwise I think we need MSL to NOT coach the D. I like the guy, but I think his tools are somewhat limited to build a true cohesive team strategy.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Trading Matheson makes sense on a lot of levels right now. It allows Guhle to go back to his normal side. We could get a vet RD. Hutson takes over PP1...

I like Matheson but he's not really a fit in our long term plans.

It makes no sense for a team wanting to be in the mix to trade their 25 min 60+ pts dman.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
It makes no sense for a team wanting to be in the mix to trade their 25 min 60+ pts dman.
He’s a UFA end of next season and will be looking for his retirement contract when he’s going to fall off a cliff so at best we keep him this year and deal him next. More important to get some value and balance our D. Lane runs PP1 which offsets most of his 60 pts.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He’s a UFA end of next season and will be looking for his retirement contract when he’s going to fall off a cliff so at best we keep him this year and deal him next. More important to get some value and balance our D. Lane runs PP1 which offsets most of his 60 pts.

Being competitive is far more important than getting back assets for Matheson.
Trading Matheson isn't balancing the D. It's doing the complete opposite. Nobody can replace his minutes.
Lane can play on pp1 and Matheson can still be on the roster and produce decent numbers.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Trading Matheson isn't balancing the D. It's doing the complete opposite. Nobody can replace his minutes.
Lane can play on pp1 and Matheson can still be on the roster and produce decent numbers.
Any veteran 3-4 D we can find can replace most of his minutes and play way better defense, all for a cheaper price than he's going to want (presumably).

We lose some offense in the interim, which Hutson can hopefully provide as he improves and plays more.

Matheson is not part of the core and, if we're not going to re-sign him (which I really hope we don't) then he should be traded.

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
You can't compete in this league without a competent defensive system, teams are too fast and talented and the numbers don't lie. There is no excuse to be doing that poorly and we all see the team getting hemmed in for 1-2 minute stretches, it is a joke to watch. If this continues till the 20 game mark it wouldn't be a shock to see a shakeup behind the bench. Yes, we are rebuilding but one would have to think the powers that be are expecting improvements both on and off the ice.
But we have no defense? Idk whats up with guys that complain about this team having problems defensively, look at the ages of our d men jesus.. next year we will have a young Reinbacher also, until Barron Matheson and Savard are gone we will tank. Our best d man is Guhle and hes 22 with under 150 NHL games under the belt. We needed Reinbacher to be healthy to jump in fresh in march to help the poor squad with no skills

Reactions: Habit11

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Any veteran 3-4 D we can find can replace most of his minutes and play way better defense, all for a cheaper price than he's going to want (presumably).

Do you seriously think finding an RD who can play big minutes on the top pairing and do better than Matheson will be easy to find and not cost much? That's one of the most coveted positions among teams in the league...

We lose some offense in the interim, which Hutson can hopefully provide as he improves and plays more.

Matheson is not part of the core and, if we're not going to re-sign him (which I really hope we don't) then he should be traded.

If the team is in the mix and battling for a playoff spot next year, Matheson should not be traded even if they don't plan on re-signing him.

Reactions: Trenbohabs

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Bringing Dach back to where he was is the goal of the organization as it should be. He had major reconstructive surgery on his knee, missing hockey for an entire year. He was never going to play 82 games.

It will take time, but just remember - We are not actively trying to make the playoffs at all costs. We are trying to develop our young players properly and not rush them. Patience is still needed. If it takes all year for Dach to get back to where he was, then it takes all year. Our best prospect doesn't come over to North America until next season anyways.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The only reason Matheson is "needed" on the line-up is to be a vet defensively to the kids, and so far this season, he's a big FAIL at it. His offensive minutes can be shared to Hutson, Guhle and Barron. Habs shouldn't have any issues trading for a cheap NHL level 3rd pair defensive dmen to eat some defensive minutes (technically that should be Savard, but since he sucks too).

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
The only reason Matheson is "needed" on the line-up is to be a vet defensively to the kids, and so far this season, he's a big FAIL at it. His offensive minutes can be shared to Hutson, Guhle and Barron. Habs shouldn't have any issues trading for a cheap NHL level 3rd pair defensive dmen to eat some defensive minutes (technically that should be Savard, but since he sucks too).
Matheson isnt even on my top 4 to win a cup honestly. He's a 30 points high risk medium reward player with poor puck handling skill and poor vision. His skating is the reason hes had success with montreal. Remember pittsburgh gave him for petry and people think hes elite material lol.. He's not even top 50 d man in the god damn league! Points dont mean shit, actions on the ice do.

1729098045622.png

Hughes will trade him when hutson and guhle get more mature, which might be this summer or at the TDL. Then he will go for a veteran RD to complete the 3rd pair

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Agree need to start being competitive so we don’t turn into the Sabres but we are very heavy on the left side, if we could pick up a top 4 RHD that’s defensively responsible that would be better. Right now we don’t really have that, I also think Guhle will be able to pick up a lot of the icetime and points Matheson leaves behind

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Do you seriously think finding an RD who can play big minutes on the top pairing and do better than Matheson will be easy to find and not cost much? That's one of the most coveted positions among teams in the league...

If the team is in the mix and battling for a playoff spot next year, Matheson should not be traded even if they don't plan on re-signing him.
You'd want to hope that a team has rose-colored glasses on and a bad pro scouting department and use Matheson to get a guy like this coming back. Maybe a team wants a bit more offense in general/from their backend and is willing to trade someone more defensive to do it.

I've made this point countless times on this board but just because he plays 25 minutes a night does not mean he should be or that he deserves to. A coach could, in theory, play a guy 60 minutes a night. Doesn't mean it's the right choice or that the player is playing well during that whole time. He plays 25 minutes a night and we have one of the worst D in the league, with him leading the way in chances against/60 in the whole league. Make of that what you will.

I'd be fine with keeping him around until his contract is up but under no circumstances do I want him re-signed.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
But we have no defense? Idk whats up with guys that complain about this team having problems defensively, look at the ages of our d men jesus.. next year we will have a young Reinbacher also, until Barron Matheson and Savard are gone we will tank. Our best d man is Guhle and hes 22 with under 150 NHL games under the belt. We needed Reinbacher to be healthy to jump in fresh in march to help the poor squad with no skills

Sorry, but like someone said, it's not only the D guys, it's a unit, and the forwards involved are vets. But what I see is absolutely NO PRESSURE along the boards, the other team are skating at will in our zone without any challenge, it looks like a constant PP for them. It's simply atrocious to watch.

This is 100% on coaching. Heck, I've seen a rookie defense of Svoboda/Chelios/Kurvers/Lalor back in the days doing well, why because yes there were a few veterans but there was also a veritable system in place (the trap).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad