Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs Blues

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I like the idea of continuing to play Dach with Suzuki and Caufield.

Evans Gallagher Anderson is working decently for now, so I wouldn't break this situation up. It's probably been our most consistent line in terms of 200 ft hockey.

If anything I'd switch Armia and Heineman to see if that might yield some different playmaking opportunities for Newhook.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Thats a bottom 5 roster ...

People look at training camp rosters and judge how the team will be based on that.

The truth is that when you look at prognosticating a roster, you also have to look at how the roster would fare in times of significant injuries. Does it look like a roster that can withstand injuries if need be?

Sure, the forward roster looks fine with no injuries, but that's an incomplete assessment without looking at the depth and their abilities to move up when needed.

I did not see a roster that can withstand injuries very much at all, so I was perplexed by the amount of people here thinking this club has a legitimate chance at a playoff spot.

Now the injury bug has hit very early in the season and you now see the sad truth.

Reactions: Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I like the idea of continuing to play Dach with Suzuki and Caufield.
Agreed. At least until Slaf comes back. Hopefully it helps Dach find his game.
Evans Gallagher Anderson is working decently for now, so I wouldn't break this situation up. It's probably been our most consistent line in terms of 200 ft hockey.

If anything I'd switch Armia and Heineman to see if that might yield some different playmaking opportunities for Newhook.
Yep. That’d be a good option. Still like the idea of Roy there but not sure what their thoughts are on bringing him back.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The notion that Martin St Louis, who won a Stanley Cup with the Lightning, and went on many lengthy playoff runs.. would have no appreciation for toughness, grit, physicality.. is just one of the silliest, unfounded rumors that there is out there.
My working theory is there are many posters who simply like spamming the word 'neutered'.

The impatience is kind of understandable given how poor the rosters have been built in the past few decades, especially around size and toughness. But this team is a lot bigger, has boatloads more talent now and coming, and toughness too. I think some posters want to see a snap-of-your-finger shift where we're suddenly in playoff contention.

This season is about moving the old guard out/playing out another year of contracts while developing the kids and seeing how well we can do with the new generation. By season's end, they have much more to go on about what moves to make etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make moves to shore up the D after what we've seen. They probably wanted to chance the young guys and see if we truly needed more vets. Clearly we do, so they'll probably make that adjustment, knowing that a bad start still leads to a high pick.

Gorton, Hughes, and MSL are all safe in their jobs.

Habs

Who needs Michkov when you've got Bustbacher
Feb 28, 2002
You can't build depth in a year or 2 when you start with no depth and half the NHL team is garbage (and capped out). 2 years from now there will be depth.

I know, but the management are the ones that spewed out the nonsense how we will be 'competing for a playoff spot' or 'in the mix' when the fans knew this was total bullshit. We all know we would be injury ravaged, as usual, and why would we have faith in a coaching crew with hardly any experience still? No moves behind the bench to help MSL? Nothing?

I loved the Laine deal, I would do that every day of the week, but the rest was treating the fans like morons. So long term, we have Demidov and still a team of smurfs and a core that can't handle the physical play of the NHL. Looking down the pipeline, there isn't a lot there just some size on the 'cusp' who may or may not be NHL players.

The team looks just as lost as the day MSL got here, and just as injury prone..
I can handle the rebuild, but doing it with these soft little perimeter players.. yikes it isn't going to end well at all.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The notion that Martin St Louis, who won a Stanley Cup with the Lightning, and went on many lengthy playoff runs.. would have no appreciation for toughness, grit, physicality.. is just one of the silliest, unfounded rumors that there is out there.
MSL said that it was harder to ask a player to increase the "edge" than to ask them to tone it down in pre-season. He wants them to play with an edge, the players play to avoid bruises instead.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
The area there this team as the least toughness is it's fan base... not the players.

This team is still in a rebuilt (regardless of how many yrs its has been since it started). This is not a linear process and the season is barely 6 games in. Fan are flipping out left, right and center and jumping to conclusion because they have unrealistic expectations.

Has the team played well, shit, no! But if people where ok two years ago to lose for a while... well we are still in this "for a while" period.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Slowly but surely, Armia is f***ing off to the 4th line.
Any line that needs the fixing can use Yoel. Yoel will now fix the 4th line. No problem.

Not disagreeing but who would you target? And which position? Would you look for a RD or get a tougher winger who can play in the middle 6?
All positions. Look at other heavy teams. Somehow they found those kind of players... so it's possible.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I know, but the management are the ones that spewed out the nonsense how we will be 'competing for a playoff spot' or 'in the mix' when the fans knew this was total bullshit. We all know we would be injury ravaged, as usual, and why would we have faith in a coaching crew with hardly any experience still? No moves behind the bench to help MSL? Nothing?

I loved the Laine deal, I would do that every day of the week, but the rest was treating the fans like morons. So long term, we have Demidov and still a team of smurfs and a core that can't handle the physical play of the NHL. Looking down the pipeline, there isn't a lot there just some size on the 'cusp' who may or may not be NHL players.

The team looks just as lost as the day MSL got here, and just as injury prone..
I can handle the rebuild, but doing it with these soft little perimeter players.. yikes it isn't going to end well at all.
Well they could have said Habs will be in the mix if they remain relatively healthy. They expected that to be understood.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I hope they benefit from the few days they had to practice some minimal defense. Calendar was game heavy until this week.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Armia worked with Newhook last year because of Roy and his IQ so I’m not surprised that they are horrible right now
Newhook/Armia also worked with Gallagher last year.

I think it's more that Newhook flush his whole brain during the off-season. He needed lots of video review when he was put at center with Slaf/Anderson at the start of last year to fix a lots of tiny little positioning issues with his linemates and then he got injured...looked great once he was back in the Spring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad