Post-Game Talk: Habs shut out the Laffs in season opener!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I disagree about the offensive part as even if his plays didn't end in scoring chances, he regularly opened lanes and space.
The defensive part I agree. I've noticed over the years, boards like these aren't detail oriented and miss many bad plays by younger or popular players and underrated what veterans bring. I saw some say that Hutson has a good stick... Disagree. He might one day, but the lack of reach was apparent
Hutson's best attribute defensively is probably his tenacity.
A perfect example last night was when he dogged Nylander to point where he could poke the puck out of the zone.
It reminded me of a play in the pre season he got caught out in the Ozone hustled all the way back and plucked the puck from behind like picking grapes.
Both those plays demonstrated above average stick work but the compete level is off the charts.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
That fluo green jacket weirdo, is still around.

Speaking of weirdo, I had a leafs fan behind me that kept yelling at Willander all game, calling him "Willy", things like "You got it Willy", "You can do it Willy'" "Outta boy Willy" "Keep your legs moving Willy"

At the end of the game a Habs fan turns around and yells at him "Do down to s#$@ Willy's Willy"

lmao

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

I don’t know, I barely noticed Xhekaj. Maybe he saw something from being in attendance at the game.
He was ok, played a basic game. Barron was the one that stood out as being just plain horrible, soft as butter and couldn't make a breakout pass, only a couple flashes in the offensive end.

Guhle was our best defenseman in my humble opinion and Savard.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I don’t know, I barely noticed Xhekaj. Maybe he saw something from being in attendance at the game.
I thought his pairing were okay Barron still takes a lot of grief but it's definitely over the top.
I laughed at someone complaining about his breakouts when more than half the time there wasn't a forward in the same screen as him. :laugh:
That of course meant his decision making was slow not that he was avoiding making a dumb play.
Arber only had the one bad slip up where a Leaf forward got around him for a clear shot on goal.
Bottom line when you don't get scored on some things had to be done well.
The fact that we let Monty see the puck was definitely one of them.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Amazing lol. Domi was chirping at Savard on the bench and Xhekaj goes to him Oh you are looking for a fight lol Domi walked away.
Domi's whole season will change if he gets smacked in the mouth once. That's what ruined him here; he tried to fight one of Ottawa's tough guys in preseason and got smacked. From then on, he stopped playing with that fire/intensity he had in the year before when he got 70 points because he was scared.

I watched him pass up a clear-cut shot in the slot last night so not much has changed on that front either in his regard.

Reactions: Runner77

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I thought we played a pretty good game last night, ended up being hemmed in in our own zone a bit too much for my liking but our defense is still a work in progress and we were nursing a one goal lead so it was bound to happen.

Monty was rock solid, he should be in serious consideration for Team Canada at the upcoming 4 nations IMO. It's not just this one game.....he's had 2 real solid seasons and was lights out at the WHC 2 years back, he better get on their radar.

Tonight will be a tough game.

Reactions: Runner77

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I was generally pleased with how we played and my low expectations were exceeded.

Our first line couldn't really get clicking, but I thought individually there were decent efforts from each player on that line. We need them to be better though.

Hutson with the puck. Wow. So refreshing to see puck skills like that!

Guhle looked good, considering how he had almost no camp.

Monty stole the show.

Anderson didn't look bad and made some good plays defensively. If he can play strong defensively and bring his physical edge consistently, he could contribute well in a 4th line type role. 4M overpaid for that though.

Outside of one bad giveaway, I thought Xhekaj was pretty solid.

The one player that stood out in a bad way was Barron. I still don't see it with him. I hope we can get Struble in the lineup soon.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was ok, played a basic game. Barron was the one that stood out as being just plain horrible, soft as butter and couldn't make a breakout pass, only a couple flashes in the offensive end.

Guhle was our best defenseman in my humble opinion and Savard.
Such bullshit on this board when it comes to Barron it's f***ing pathetic.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Amazing lol. Domi was chirping at Savard on the bench and Xhekaj goes to him Oh you are looking for a fight lol Domi walked away.

Not just that, Xhekaj also body checked Reaves and looked him in the eyes as if looking to drop them, but Reaves turned around and went back to the bench.

I love Pez and the guy does bring energy and isn't afraid to drop 'em either, but man would it be fun to see Habs bring in another player like Xhekaj, especially for the forwards a la Mathieu Olivier.

Such bullshit on this board when it comes to Barron it's f***ing pathetic.

Barron could have a good game and the narrative won't change. The guy had a good camp, but the majority don't want to say it.

Barré-Boulet will be the same. He can have a good game and create plays and the narrative will be that he belongs in Laval.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Lets not pretend we played a good game, this was all Monty's win, he bailed the team out so many times.
Ya, but when we play a good game and lose, then it’s all about how we can’t finish….tonight Toronto couldn’t finish so boohoo for them!!

Plus it’s game 1, we have the second youngest team in the league, we have a rookie D and guys who haven’t played in a long time, not always gonna be pretty so take the W and move on to the next game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not just that, Xhekaj also body checked Reaves and looked him in the eyes as if looking to drop them, but Reaves turned around and went back to the bench.

I love Pez and the guy does bring energy and isn't afraid to drop 'em either, but man would it be fun to see Habs bring in another player like Xhekaj, especially for the forwards a la Mathieu Olivier.

Barron could have a good game and the narrative won't change. The guy had a good camp, but the majority don't want to say it.

Barré-Boulet will be the same. He can have a good game and create plays and the narrative will be that he belongs in Laval.
Justin Barron a guy who gets dumped on for not rushing to make a bad turnover and then is accused of being a slow decision maker. :laugh:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Hutson's best attribute defensively is probably his tenacity.
A perfect example last night was when he dogged Nylander to point where he could poke the puck out of the zone.
It reminded me of a play in the pre season he got caught out in the Ozone hustled all the way back and plucked the puck from behind like picking grapes.
Both those plays demonstrated above average stick work but the compete level is off the charts.
Yes, 100%, his effort level and compete are apparent in all zones on and off the puck.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
MSL: "une nouvelle etape c'est d'etre capable de fermer ces matchs la". News flash for ya, coach. If not for Montanbo, you are losing this game 5-1 at best. The only person on your team who was able to "fermer ces matchs la" was your goalie. And guess what... it won't last.
You’re right, it won’t last…..getting outshot 48-27 will also not last….your vibes are telling me you’re expecting the Habs game plan is to be grossly outshot and hope Monty and Primeau make all the saves?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And Matheson too.
I'll call Matheson out as a veteran who should absolutely do better.
I like him when he simplifies his game his mistakes last night were all about him trying to do to much on his own in the Dzone.
He didn't get caught out on any riverboat gambler rushes so that was good.
I get on him a bit for his PP work but he shouldn't be on that wave to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad