Post-Game Talk: Habs shut out the Laffs in season opener!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
First period PP was very good, and then they went back to doing nothing

the first line looked a little lost but I guess that's what happens when you waste all of pre-season getting headhunted so you can't play
The first line got owned plain and simple. Our centers got outright destroyed on the dot.
The one thing we really miss is a superb shut down line we can use on home ice when we are losing match ups to that extent.
Marty just kept rolling them out there head to head.

Reactions: Runner77

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Newhook was the best player on the ice last night.
Thought he looked good. Not sure he was best...but doesn't matter.

I like Newhook....saying he is 3rd line, is not meant as a slam on the guy. He is a third line guy, that can play up....pretty comfortably. I just hope he gets pushed out. I don't see him as ever topping 55-60 pts in a season. Laine and Demidov should both have ceilings higher than that.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
People are probably going to be mad but I can see the Habs re-signing Savard on a cheap 2 year deal. Another year in the top 6 buys Reinbacher his development time and gives a sophomore Hutson that veteran security blanket, and in year 2, Savard can be the glue guy in the room eating hot dogs in the press-box and coming in on back to backs or in injury situations.
I said the same thing in another tread. The odds of trading him are close to zero. If he develop some chemistry with Hutson, why would you trade away the Big brother before Hutson is firmly establish?? He's a RD, something the team need. in the short term. Even if Reinbacher and Mailloux estabish themself long term, you still need a RD like him.

Pezz in for Heinemen
Kap in for Evans

Struble for Barron if he wasn't injured
Evans played very well. I want Kap to play too, but not at the expense of Evans

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing

I like Newhook....saying he is 3rd line, is not meant as a slam on the guy. He is a third line guy, that can play up....pretty comfortably. I just hope he gets pushed out. I don't see him as ever topping 55-60 pts in a season. Laine and Demidov should both have ceilings higher than that.

Newhook is a third-line center on a very good team. We are not a very good team. If he gets 50+ points, that is a second-line guy.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Newhook is a third-line center on a very good team. We are not a very good team. If he gets 50+ points, that is a second-line guy.
Agree. I don't see him being a consistent 50+ point guy. I think his absolute peak is 60. But, not sure he ever does that or at the very least consistently.

Should we one day, have a 2nd line of Laine - Dach - Demidov. All three of those guys could comfortably go over 60 points, and it would certainly push Newhook to third line.

He is a gadget player. Comfortable up and down the lineup. At centre or wing. I'm a fan of him.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

He was pacing for 54 points last season with Armia, Gallagher, and Roy. So not only does he have the potential to top those numbers, those are 2nd line numbers to begin with.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I said the same thing in another tread. The odds of trading him are close to zero. If he develop some chemistry with Hutson, why would you trade away the Big brother before Hutson is firmly establish?? He's a RD, something the team need. in the short term. Even if Reinbacher and Mailloux estabish themself long term, you still need a RD like him.

I suspect many think that Hutson will already be firmly established by the TDL and they'll also say something like we could trade Savard for a 1st and then just sign him again in the summer.

For me I certainly see the value in keeping Savard and re-signing him but it all depends where the team come TDL and how big the overpayment will be.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don’t thing anyone really did bad, everyone had some small mistake and everyone had good moments. Monty was solid and we got lucky a few time… The only issue is that we got stuck in our zone a few too many time and it happen like 3 times were we couldn’t get out of D zone we had 3 to 5 chances to clear the zone and keep missing the puck, pass or clear.

Anderson showed up and he was visible it is a good start…
Evans, Armia and ABB all did great
Suzuki, CC and Slaf did enough, but I want to see Slaf moving is feet more.
Newhook, Dach, Dvorak and Gallagher all had their moments.
Heineman I noticed that I keep seeing him going for hit expectating a big hit nailing a guy on the board and it look good but he is the one that is falling he just bouncing off…
Hutson more than held is own
Matheson had some glitches but also some big play,(for everyone complaining about him look at Reilly probably worst on D, less physical and getting paid more).
Guhle also made some plays but every time he break up a play he also seem to fumble or give it back, than he make another play but cutting on the mistake would make him infinitely better.
Savard, Barron, Xhekaj we’re all alright.

Seem like the ref missed a few close call on us but they missed a obvious knee in the 3rd on Newhook maybe even on Dach again if the ref miss that one thing NHL need to step up and fine players…

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
screen 2_380.png

What a game from Monty! played like a man was possessed, and looks it too!! Seeing him like that I got shivers up my spine and noticed I was rubbing my crucifix inexplicitly. Once the puck dropped and my quivering subsided I was pleasantly surprised at how well Montreal played in the first period, and then it was just hang on Harvey time.

I may have missed it but did Marty make any adjustments during the game? The so called top line sure didn't look like one at all, don't know why Marty would keep them up against the Mathews line, hemmed in all night with any good looks?

Seeing Galagher struggle after all the years of giving all he had is difficult to see, he had a great run but now, yeesh. My good friend Stumpy with his prosthetic leg could skate circles around him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I suspect many think that Hutson will already be firmly established by the TDL and they'll also say something like we could trade Savard for a 1st and then just sign him again in the summer.

For me I certainly see the value in keeping Savard and re-signing him but it all depends where the team come TDL and how big the overpayment will be.
Kent Hughes is just the guy to convince David this is the best way to help the team.
David Savard is exactly the type of guy to agree with a gentleman's handshake.
He'll get us a second if all goes well.

Newhook was the best player on the ice last night.
That was Montembault. :huh:

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006

I have no problem bringing Savard back, especially with a year gone from Reinbacher's development. But I'm still dreaming of the rare scenario where we trade him at the deadline then bring him back in the off-season (assuming we're out of playoff contention, of course).

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
1st line got outplayed pretty bad, and reverted to the obvious « hey everyone, we’re going back door to Caufield » powerplay for some reason.

If Slaf and CC get their feet moving in the O zone it’ll really help for sure.

Reactions: habbubba

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Thought Armia and Guhle were great. Active sticks, hard on the puck. In fact the entire defence played well except for the usual Barron.

Despite the shots, I didn’t think the Leafs dominated other than a good portion of the 3rd when they were desperate. Both teams had great chances and both goalies played extremely well.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
MSL: "une nouvelle etape c'est d'etre capable de fermer ces matchs la". News flash for ya, coach. If not for Montanbo, you are losing this game 5-1 at best. The only person on your team who was able to "fermer ces matchs la" was your goalie. And guess what... it won't last.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
View attachment 914621
What a game from Monty! played like a man was possessed, and looks it too!! Seeing him like that I got shivers up my spine and noticed I was rubbing my crucifix inexplicitly. Once the puck dropped and my quivering subsided I was pleasantly surprised at how well Montreal played in the first period, and then it was just hang on Harvey time.

I may have missed it but did Marty make any adjustments during the game? The so called top line sure didn't look like one at all, don't know why Marty would keep them up against the Mathews line, hemmed in all night with any good looks?

Seeing Galagher struggle after all the years of giving all he had is difficult to see, he had a great run but now, yeesh. My good friend Stumpy with his prosthetic leg could skate circles around him.

No adjustments and some odd decisions. Like Dach to take a couple of defensive faceoffs vs Tavarez. First line started great but after the first period nothing special. Gallagher was ok, he made a gorgeous pass to Newhook in the first that should have been a goal, you just have to forget about his salary but he puts in his shift and doesn't make any bonehead plays.

Speaking of Bonehead, Matheson made a couple in his own end in the late third, passes to nobody or directly to a Leaf. Dude shouldn't be playing 25-28 minutes. He is fine at 20-22.

Heineman was meh all game, wasn't even all that physical, should have either put Kapanen for the faceoffs or Pezetta for the physicality.

Slaf is a different guy, much more confident. A couple times during the commercials he went to talk to the ref and linesmen, one of them after the high check on Suzuki, he was very animated and pointing at the ref and the linesman.

Also if it wasn't shown on camera (I was at the rink), the reason the crowd was angry at the refs is because behind the play a Leaf Defenseman dropped his gloves to fight Dach, Dach skated away and the Leaf player didn't get a penalty.

Matthews is not captain material, whinner, constantly showing bad attitude and whinning to himself. What a stupid decision to make him captain.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
The first line got owned plain and simple. Our centers got outright destroyed on the dot.
The one thing we really miss is a superb shut down line we can use on home ice when we are losing match ups to that extent.
Marty just kept rolling them out there head to head.
It was clearly a timing thing for Suzuki, as expected after not playing much during the preseason. They'll get going.

Reactions: Egresch

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't understand this board. Hutson was worse than Barron defensively yet JB gets crapped on. And offensively Lane had one pass that was dangerous; otherwise all he did was jitterbug up and down the offensive zone and then lose the puck or give it away. I can't believe people are clamoring to install him as the PP quarterback.

Not that Matheson is the answer.

I disagree about the offensive part as even if his plays didn't end in scoring chances, he regularly opened lanes and space.
The defensive part I agree. I've noticed over the years, boards like these aren't detail oriented and miss many bad plays by younger or popular players and underrated what veterans bring. I saw some say that Hutson has a good stick... Disagree. He might one day, but the lack of reach was apparent

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Team structure. They keep stacking high salary similar players instead of going for complimentary players.

Bunch of master chefs, no kitchen staff.
It’s deeper than that. In 2022-23 they had the team to beat. They acquired ROR, McCabe, Lafferty, Schenn. They had good depth. They finally won in the 1st round against a good Tampa team then just got demolished by a hard Panthers team. Depth or not, you still play those top guys 23+ mins a game and they aren’t willing to play hard. The core is rotten.

I was sceptical about ABB, but I think he’s the right player to put with Anderson and Dvorak. Both of them are sleepy most of the time, ABB brings a bit of energy.

• Love
Reactions: HomaridII

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
No adjustments and some odd decisions. Like Dach to take a couple of defensive faceoffs vs Tavarez. First line started great but after the first period nothing special. Gallagher was ok, he made a gorgeous pass to Newhook in the first that should have been a goal, you just have to forget about his salary but he puts in his shift and doesn't make any bonehead plays.

Speaking of Bonehead, Matheson made a couple in his own end in the late third, passes to nobody or directly to a Leaf. Dude shouldn't be playing 25-28 minutes. He is fine at 20-22.

Heineman was meh all game, wasn't even all that physical, should have either put Kapanen for the faceoffs or Pezetta for the physicality.

Slaf is a different guy, much more confident. A couple times during the commercials he went to talk to the ref and linesmen, one of them after the high check on Suzuki, he was very animated and pointing at the ref and the linesman.

Also if it wasn't shown on camera (I was at the rink), the reason the crowd was angry at the refs is because behind the play a Leaf Defenseman dropped his gloves to fight Dach, Dach skated away and the Leaf player didn't get a penalty.

Matthews is not captain material, whinner, constantly showing bad attitude and whinning to himself. What a stupid decision to make him captain.
First game and all and Monty stole the game. Another tonight and on the road so it will be interesting to see what Marty does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad