Post-Game Talk: Habs shut out the Laffs in season opener!

TheFalk

Markov Le Général <3
Jul 7, 2011
I don't understand Caufield's positioning in the man advantage. He takes himself out of the play.

Matheson creates nothing from the point. He's just a play resetter.

Slaf should create more mayhem down low, that would get the opponent thinking and the habs could exploit that.

Agreed 100%

What is killing me is the ingrained hesitation in Matheson when he gets the puck, even with obvious options he gives the other teams coverage the edge by delaying and still going with the obvious pass.

Id like to see more reps with Suzuki getting the puck at the top of the circle on the right side and set him up for a wrister or cross crease in stride.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Agreed 100%

What is killing me is the ingrained hesitation in Matheson when he gets the puck, even with obvious options he gives the other teams coverage the edge by delaying and still going with the obvious pass.

Id like to see more reps with Suzuki getting the puck at the top of the circle on the right side and set him up for a wrister or cross crease in stride.
It's the hardware that isn't fast enough. That's why he makes the stupidest mistakes. He's not a smart hockey player.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Matheson played a great game outside of the PP.

He is a really good D man honestly, would be ideal leading a second pair.

Edit: Our whole D squad was solid outside Barron thinking about it.. Looking forward to some more Hutson all day every day :)
No one would be saying this if any of his gaffes ended up in the back of our net and there were more than two of them.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Monty Hasek, holy.

We did a lot to give that one away but the Leafs didn't want it/Monty didn't want to give it to them. We played gangbusters in the first and then just fell apart after that failed 5-on-3. Way too many giveaways at both ours and their bluelines in the third.

All wins count as wins though.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
They could easily re-sign him. We don't exactly have anyone to replace him at this point. He's a good veteran and wants to be here.
Yup wouldn't surprise me even a little bit if Hughes re-signs Savard for a year or 2 if he haves a good season

His teammates love him and he said last season at the deadline that he didn't want to be traded because he and his family love Montreal and he really loves being a Hab. Great mentor for the young dmen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
First time in 220+ games leafs were shutout. Feels good man
So much more gusto that it happened on Matthews’s first ever game as captain.

ZjT9p07.gif

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Yup wouldn't surprise me even a little bit if Hughes re-signs Savard for a year or 2 if he haves a good season

His teammates love him and he said last season at the deadline that he didn't want to be traded because he and his family love Montreal and he really loves being a Hab. Great mentor for the young dmen.
Agreed. We can't do what Sens did the last few years. A bunch young talent without any good veterans in the lineup is a bad recipe. You need some good veterans around.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I’m sure HuGo & MSL are very aware … it’s an inevitability, Hutson will organically assume PP QB role. I’d be shocked if it doesn’t happen by latest US Thanksgiving
Of course they’re aware. My issue is leaving Matheson there because he’s the veteran. It’s dumb where as here, the rookie is just WAY better at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad