Value of: Habs moving up using the WPG 2024 1st (#26) + CAL/FLA 2025 1st + MTL 2024 3rd + PIT 2025 2nd

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Don't care. You don't get to arbitrarily choose where it lands. Florida is likely going to lose some very important pieces. That pick is not for sale.

Not just that. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cats get to the Finals and have a long drawn out battle with the Stars either. That would be 2 long playoff seasons in a row after which they may find the next season a slog. In addition I dunno about Paul Maurice.

Calgary will almost certainly be selling next year even if they sitting 11th to 15th at the deadline

That would be reasonable but Flames' ownership are weird that way. I would not be surprised to see them buying this off-season.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not just that. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cats get to the Finals and have a long drawn out battle with the Stars either. That would be 2 long playoff seasons in a row after which they may find the next season a slog. In addition I dunno about Paul Maurice.

That would be reasonable but Flames' ownership are weird that way. I would not be surprised to see them buying this off-season.
Exactly. There is absolutely a lot of possible scenarios here and I'd rather keep our lottery ticket until we know for sure it's not going to be a top 15 pick.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Nope, again, that's you who can't wrap your head around the different possibilities here or those concepts. THAT is what makes this particular pick not a realistic trade asset right now. Want to tell me more about objectivity? You couldn't even get the correct year because you mistakenly thought it was a fixed position in this draft.

You constantly ignore the fact that not all picks hold the same value year to year. I've said it what twice now, but by your silly idea, you value the 2011 and 2025 1st overall pick the same.

You keep trying to defend your shitty offer. It's bad. That's it, that's all.
That guy doesn't understand the concept of variability, don't bother respond to him. Either he's too young to have encountered this topic on school/life or he's too dumb to understand it.

Reactions: CanadienShark

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That guy doesn't understand the concept of variability, don't bother respond to him. Either he's too young to have encountered this topic on school/life or he's too dumb to understand it.
He tried to teach me a lesson he learned in his early year stats course. :laugh:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Will Chicago trade 2OA for 5OA + 24 1st (Win) + 25 1st (Cal/Fla), I wonder. So Montreal could draft Demidov.
Not sure about Chicago doing it, but I'd never do that from Montreal pov. For all we know Demidov might be there at 4-5. I don't see a gap between Demidov and the next 4-5 players.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Lmao.

Habs fans massively overrating the likilihood of a dogshit team with an incentive to lose finishing outside of the bottom 10.

Not even flames fans themselves think they'll finish outside of the bottom 10.

And, as I have said countless times, you're welcome to protect the pick for that unlikely scenario.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Will Chicago trade 2OA for 5OA + 24 1st (Win) + 25 1st (Cal/Fla), I wonder. So Montreal could draft Demidov.

My targets are Demidov or Iggy and I have them close. So no, Habs don't need to do this because one of them will be there when we pick at 5. What do the Habs actual management and scouts think? No idea

I think the Hawks will take Demidov. Bedard and Demidov put fans in the seats while they work on adding more pieces around them in the next 3+ years.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Exactly. There is absolutely a lot of possible scenarios here and I'd rather keep our lottery ticket until we know for sure it's not going to be a top 15 pick.
I could go either way tbh. It would depend on what is available in a deal for that pick(s). I mean that pick is a year away and then the player they take is likely a few years away. Thats 3-5 years from now. They could deal it for a guy that could help them take the next step now. Similar to the Dach/Newhook deals.....

The difficulty is knowing the value of that pick. It could be Calgary's pick at 11 or Florida's pick at 29-32

who knows.....

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I doubt it, Also there is no guarantee that Chicago is taking Demidov. They might take one of the dmen. Im also not sure the difference in Demidov and Iggy/Lindstrom is 2 other 1st round picks. I would use the 5th for Demidov/Iggy/Lindstrom and if they want to deal the other picks then do it for a player to help now.....

Reactions: HuGo Sham

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I could go either way tbh. It would depend on what is available in a deal for that pick(s). I mean that pick is a year away and then the player they take is likely a few years away. Thats 3-5 years from now. They could deal it for a guy that could help them take the next step now. Similar to the Dach/Newhook deals.....

The difficulty is knowing the value of that pick. It could be Calgary's pick at 11 or Florida's pick at 29-32

who knows.....
And for that reason, I'd hold onto it. Isn't there also some crazy, very unlikely scenario where it's #1 in 2026 as well? I could be mistaken there.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
My targets are Demidov or Iggy and I have them close. So no, Habs don't need to do this because one of them will be there when we pick at 5. What do the Habs actual management and scouts think? No idea

I think the Hawks will take Demidov. Bedard and Demidov put fans in the seats while they work on adding more pieces around them in the next 3+ years.
I couod see it either way. Take the offense in Demidov to go with Bedard or take the future #1 dman you need for the future

And for that reason, I'd hold onto it. Isn't there also some crazy, very unlikely scenario where it's #1 in 2026 as well? I could be mistaken there.
Possibly but I am nowhere near smart or patient enough to figure out all those conditions.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I couod see it either way. Take the offense in Demidov to go with Bedard or take the future #1 dman you need for the future

Possibly but I am nowhere near smart or patient enough to figure out all those conditions.

If I was the Hawks, I would go with Demidov. Creates an exciting on ice package while they are still rebuilding. This is a business so it makes sense. They got lots of work to do so they can focus on adding D and other parts in the next 3+ years while fans get to watch Bedard/Demidov.

With that D group, I see a lot of very good top 4D talent but I also see fans/media crowing them into top pairing quality. Maybe 1 or 2 turns out that way (maybe) and you got to take the right one from the group.

With Demidov, he is a top line quality. Easy decision for me if I was the Hawks.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

who knows.....
Unless you draft a franchise player, a rebuild takes 10 years before you are truly contending for the cup. We'll start to contend for the playoffs in 2-3 years, but the cup would be at the tail end of Suzuki's and Caufield's contracts (at which point they should be relatively cheap). It's important to have a regular influx of talent to fuel success.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
One day you'll discover this crazy thing called trade conditions/protections

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its not possible that pick could be top 10. Florida wont drop off that bad.....

Not probable but it is possible. Just very low odds.

Unless you draft a franchise player, a rebuild takes 10 years before you are truly contending for the cup. We'll start to contend for the playoffs in 2-3 years, but the cup would be at the tail end of Suzuki's and Caufield's contracts (at which point they should be relatively cheap). It's important to have a regular influx of talent to fuel success.

You see it like I do. Habs are still in transition for a few years yet. Guhle/Xhekaj is 22/23 and Reinbacher is 19. Our back end won't turn the needle until they are all in the age 25-30 range or something close.

Tampa didn't do shit until Hedman/Stamkos were in their late 30's and Sergachev/Point was in their early 20's. Same with Avs. Same with the Oilers but we will see how far they go this year

Reactions: jfhabs

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
how about the other way. MTL trades the 5oa to chicago for chicago Islander pick 2024+ 1st 2025+ 2026+ 2027 +2028 so Chicafgo gets demidov and iggy

how about the other way. MTL trades the 5oa to chicago for chicago Islander pick 2024+ 1st 2025+ 2026+ 2027 +2028 so Chicafgo gets demidov and iggy

Reactions: Adam da bomb

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Why would they want to? That's a crazy amount of draft capital and that Calgary pick; if it is Calgary's, could easily be a top 15 pick on it's own

With the Habs still needing another full season or two to solidify their prospect core and shaking out a few meh contracts or at least come closer to those contracts being palatable for other teams to look for; losing that kind of draft capital just to move up in a very meh draft seems like trying to sleep your way to the middle
That Calgary first will very likely be bottom 5 next year so Montreal would have floridas first rounder instead which will likely be near the end of the draft next year

So 18 plus first rounders in 25, 26, 27, and 28 for #5 lol did you smoke crack before making that post?

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
That Calgary first will very likely be bottom 5 next year so Montreal would have floridas first rounder instead which will likely be near the end of the draft next year
I don't think Florida will be in the basement or anything but they have a lot UFAs to sign don't they? I could see next year being a step back as they are coming off a year where everything is going right. How sure are we that the Panthers will be as good next year? The first rounder could end up being a little higher than some might expect

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I don't think Florida will be in the basement or anything but they have a lot UFAs to sign don't they? I could see next year being a step back as they are coming off a year where everything is going right. How sure are we that the Panthers will be as good next year? The first rounder could end up being a little higher than some might expect
The panthers have a top goalie, an elite center, a pretty solid Dcore, good depth, and play in a dog shit division

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad