Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Boston

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think we all would have preferred that Montembeault played last night.

But I understand MSL’s reasoning to go with Primeau. I think he realized that even if Montembeault played the team would have been hard pressed to have won in all the prevailing circumstances.

The conditions for winning in sport is part skill/experience and equal part psychology. Montembeault had just played a heroic near 50 shot shutout against a strong opponent . Montembeault’s teammates confidence in him is sky high. MSL’s decision to not play Montembeault in circumstances where a defeat was likely was an insightful move not to shake this very young team’s growing confidence in a player who will play a pivotal role in this teams’ on ice success this year. MSL didn’t want to burst that bubble of confidence.

Last night was largely seen by MSL as a throw away game. MSL’s team will feel and play more invigorated and confident when they see Montembeault in nets. No different than the team’s fans.
Some solid reasoning............that said, after Monty got the shutout...........I give him the Bruins hands down and Primeau the Sens at home.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
3 games in 4 nights. Monty's never played 60 games in a season. He'll need rest.

Pretty soon, they'll send Primo down and call up Dobes.
No problem, you give Primeau the Sens and then Monty gets the Pens on monday......

It\s all semantics, my opinion is, Monty gets the Bruins after his great game vs the Leafs.
If we think it's even close that Monty is a #1 then he plays the Bruins...............Chester mentions it was a throw away game, and that also has some merit.
Feeding Primeau to the wolves so to speak....

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
3 or 4 like this, and Kent needs to get on the phone for a backup. I’ll give him a bad game every once in a while, Primeau looked really shaky. That was a winnable game against a top team. You add Laine in there, and we win this despite Primeau.

No problem, you give Primeau the Sens and then Monty gets the Pens on monday......

It\s all semantics, my opinion is, Monty gets the Bruins after his great game vs the Leafs.
If we think it's even close that Monty is a #1 then he plays the Bruins...............Chester mentions it was a throw away game, and that also has some merit.
Feeding Primeau to the wolves so to speak....
You don’t start a guy back to back usually and especially after a 48 save performance. In no world were they ever going to do that.

Reactions: dcyhabs and jaffy27

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I made a terrible decision to watch last game from Aruba instead of managing my vacation time better. This team doesn't seem anywhere near. I'll tune in again next season.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Was Savard injured or is MSL just a shit coach ?
Savard was skating in quicksand by the 3rd, only played two shifts and had less TOI then Xhekaj that peeriod.
MSL was keeping Ghule/Hutson longer on the ice in the 3rd too.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
We need to dump Primeau .We have many up and comer goalies that are better than him

First line of 3 guys making 8 mil a year have been invisible the first 2 games.Yes i know it's early.Gally,Anderson and yes Armia have been pleasant surprises so far.
of those 4 dead weight contracts in the bottom 6, if 2 of 4 could step up in a secondary role that would be nice. Either as veteran support of as a tradable asset. I don’t know to what degree but if they do well, it’s good for the team.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Playing Boston in the second game of a back to back was a nightmare setup physically to begin with. Guys like Kastelic and Brazeau just feasted on our tired bodies, while Anderson and Gally were probably our best forwards last night. Kind of embarrassing but also kind of expected. What's concerning though is that the top line is generating nothing at even strength so far.

Reactions: 1909

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
lol….game two and the jury is out on everyone lol

Hey, maybe we can trade Primeau for McDavid since they both produced jack.

Nobody is in game shape, timing is off, some players haven’t really played in a year, b2b on the road vs a top 10 team in the league….but hey, let’s demote and trade everyone :laugh:

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Habs have 15 back-to-back this season (I heard it was the most in the NHL).

And if they send Primo down, he gets claimed. Half of the league backups aren't any better and he's younger than most.
15 is a lot but some teams have more. Leafs and Canes have 16.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Matheson played over 26TOI in back-to-back games… he’s still going to be the highest TOI Dman on this team for the foreseeable future.

The Habs need to bring that TOI number down from 25+ to 21-22 to maintain his effectiveness, and that only happens by giving Hutson PP QB responsibility

And he sucked.

Jul 6, 2016
That 2024-25 team looks the same than the one they had last year and the year before…. NHL basement caliber. Does this team have some kind of system - offensive or defensive ???? Good team spirit is not enough to compete. MSL is an overated coach. His cute post game interviews won’t cut it for long. Matheson should never play more that 20-21 minutes per game.

Jul 6, 2016
Playing Boston in the second game of a back to back was a nightmare setup physically to begin with. Guys like Kastelic and Brazeau just feasted on our tired bodies, while Anderson and Gally were probably our best forwards last night. Kind of embarrassing but also kind of expected. What's concerning though is that the top line is generating nothing at even strength so far.
The top line did not play enough pre-season games for reasons we all know about. Or they think they are a real NHL #1 line… which they are not yet.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I made a terrible decision to watch last game from Aruba instead of managing my vacation time better. This team doesn't seem anywhere near. I'll tune in again next season.
The team is young and, at least so far, absolutely horrid in back to back games. They got absolutely crushed without days off the last few years, probably a combination of young guys who aren't used to the grind, and a weak team that needs to put in more effort than they can produce without rest to be competitive.

The Bruins are likely to be bad this year, but for a second in a back to back that was pretty good for the habs. Primeau had a weak game, and he needed to do better as one of the few who hadn't played the previous night, and the team as a whole played some bad end of periods.

Most of these items are linked. When the team is competitive they'll need a consistent backup goalie, and they'll need to manage energy and ice time. The team isn't going far playing Matheson 26 minutes a game. Kovacevic would have looked good out there, with fresh legs, so would Struble. The injuries aren't helping them at all.

Reactions: 1909

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
Matheson didn’t look great but I am not sure how many players on our roster could do 25min+ on a back to back and look good doing it. I sense that Guhle will overtake his minutes later on in the season, Hutson should be moved to PP one simply to cut down Mathesons minutes if nothing else. Matheson can generate at even strength and off the rush, he doesn’t need the power play to produce nor is he particularly good at it.

Reactions: salbutera

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Matheson didn’t look great but I am not sure how many players on our roster could do 25min+ on a back to back and look good doing it. I sense that Guhle will overtake his minutes later on in the season, Hutson should be moved to PP one simply to cut down Mathesons minutes if nothing else. Matheson can generate at even strength and off the rush, he doesn’t need the power play to produce nor is he particularly good at it.
He had 4+ mins on the PK last night and Arber had 14 seconds, that's also where they have the option to cut his minutes down.

Reactions: Bottomshelf

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I *get* that's there's doom and gloom already , that's just the fanbase, I get it

But I just can't be upset losing basically a 5-4 game because we were playing a backup goalie *not* apart of future plans
And because of a couple defenseman, namely #8, who are also *not* part of the future plans

And we almost stuck with a fully powered round 3 playoff team with our top6 guys still getting into game shape

It's just so annoying reading things like WELLP, GOTTA START OVER when Laine and Demidov aren't even in the top6 yet...

Be cool my guys, we're still on the uptick

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Matheson only played 14:13 minutes at EV last night. Guhle was at 18:01 and Hutson at 17:22. You can't really give more to Guhle (he also played 2m minutes more in the first game at EV). The cut needs to come from the PP/PK.

Reactions: Bottomshelf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad