Proposal: Habs - Leafs

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Multi-player swap.

Habs: Petry (1 million retained), Lehkonen & 2nd

Toronto: Kapanen, 2019 First

Toronto adds solid top 4 RHD on a good contract + underperforming youngster with potential + 2nd

Habs add young winger who could flourish with JK + late 1st to further bolster prospect pool depth

Last edited:

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Multi-player swap.

Habs: Petry (1 million retained), Lehkonen & 2nd

Toronto: Kapanen, 2019 First

Toronto adds solid top 4 LHD on a good contract + underperforming youngster with potential + 2nd

Habs add young winger who could flourish with JK + late 1st to further bolster prospect pool depth
Toronto doesn't need more LHD. Kaplan is just coming into his own. So unless it fills a true need. I would pass.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You typod Petry being a LHD. I got what you meant though

Kapanen was worth a lot loss than Lehkonen before the start of the season, I figure his great start leads one to wonder if he's solely the product of elite linemates. I'd figure their value is similiar due to that.

Petry is a legit top pairing D man. He's worth more than the first alone. On top of that, he still is needed badly in Montreal.

Value heavily favours Toronto due to Petry

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You typod Petry being a LHD. I got what you meant though

Kapanen was worth a lot loss than Lehkonen before the start of the season, I figure his great start leads one to wonder if he's solely the product of elite linemates. I'd figure their value is similiar due to that.

Petry is a legit top pairing D man. He's worth more than the first alone. On top of that, he still is needed badly in Montreal.

Value heavily favours Toronto due to Petry

Legit top pairing on how many teams around the league? The Canadians not having a ton of D depth doesn’t make him a legit top D. Is Hainsey a top pair D because he plays it for the Leafs? No.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
People think that Kapanen only plays well because of hi linemates, and I get that, but this kid played some time on the PP last year and held a significant role on the Leaf's PK. The kid is 21. I'd wait it out to see what he becomes, which IMO will be a better Carl Hagelin in the future.

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
oh honeyyy... Petry could return that package alone. Stop underrating him. That package could almost return you Nylander

4.5 mil Petry for 3 more years, Lehkonen and a good chance of an early 2nd rounder

early second is almost the same as a late first, so you are saying that kapanen is worth THAT much?

Reactions: CanadiensforLife

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Legit top pairing on how many teams around the league? The Canadians not having a ton of D depth doesn’t make himm a legit top D. Is Hainsey a top pair D because he plays it for the Leafs? No.
Petry is a legit top pairing D on any team that doesn’t have two star defenseman on their top pair.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Legit top pairing on how many teams around the league? The Canadians not having a ton of D depth doesn’t make himm a legit top D. Is Hainsey a top pair D because he plays it for the Leafs? No.

I'd say about 25.

It's not the team he plays on that makes him a top D, it's the fact that he's become a legit top pairing D. By nearly every metric, he's become a top pairing D despite playing on not so good teams.

Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 defencemen over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Petry is a legit top pairing D on any team that doesn’t have two star defenseman on their top pair.
Are you suggesting Petry is a star?
oh honeyyy... Petry could return that package alone. Stop underrating him. That package could almost return you Nylander

4.5 mil Petry for 3 more years, Lehkonen and a good chance of an early 2nd rounder

early second is almost the same as a late first, so you are saying that kapanen is worth THAT much?
wot m8?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Are you suggesting Petry is a star?

wot m8?
No, I’m suggesting that the only way he’s not a top pairing D is if a team has two star D in their top pairing, which most teams don’t so he’s a legit top pairing guy on those teams that don’t have two star D men up there.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I'd bet heavily that if available the leafs would be very interested in Petry, however I doubt they'd be willing to deal a key roster part this season given we /they expect to win quite frequently and w luck, in the post season. Thus for me I could see a more future based offer. Like a 1st and decent prospect or maybe a liljgren or Sandin centric offer: something more along those lines. I'm not saying I'd do the above but I'd expect those type of names prospectively brought up rather than kapanen who has looked unreal and at times a game breaker. His speed literally jumps of the page

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I'd bet heavily that if available the leafs would be very interested in Petry, however I doubt they'd be willing to deal a key roster part this season given we /they expect to win quite frequently and w luck, in the post season. Thus for me I could see a more future based offer. Like a 1st and decent prospect or maybe a liljgren or Sandin centric offer: something more along those lines. I'm not saying I'd do the above but I'd expect those type of names prospectively brought up rather than kapanen who has looked unreal and at times a game breaker. His speed literally jumps of the page

It's gonna take nothing short of an overpayment. We're competing. Kapanen doesn't fill a need for us, anyway.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No, I’m suggesting that the only way he’s not a top pairing D is if a team has two star D in their top pairing, which most teams don’t so he’s a legit top pairing guy on those teams that don’t have two star D men up there.

petry is a #3 at best on a contending team.

on the leafs he would line up alongside Rielly yes, but he would be their 3rd best dman.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Drouin (23): 9g/20pts
Kapanen (22): 10g/18pts
Gallagher (26): 11g/16pts

would you trade Drouin and a 1st for Gardiner,Johnsson, 2nd?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
petry is a #3 at best on a contending team.

on the leafs he would line up alongside Rielly yes, but he would be their 3rd best dman.
He’d probably end up playing more than the 22 mins a night Rielly averages. He’s one of my top underrated players league wide.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He’d probably end up playing more than the 22 mins a night Rielly averages. He’s one of my top underrated players league wide.

the leafs under babcock havent rolled a dman much more than 22ish

the leafs just arent giving up kapanen and a 1st for petry. that shipped sailed when kapanen arrived as a young top 6 forward who is one of the top 10 skaters in the league

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
the leafs under babcock havent rolled a dman much more than 22ish

the leafs just arent giving up kapanen and a 1st for petry. that shipped sailed when kapanen arrived as a young top 6 forward who is one of the top 10 skaters in the league
Oh I’m not trying to justify the trade proposal necessarily. I’m trying to illustrate Petry’s understated value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad