Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the evil Senators at the Bell Centre

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
JB had a very solid game tonight. One of the best I've seen him play ever. Quiet, making the easy plays, was actually physical in his own zone. I've been hard on him when needed but also give him praise when he deserves it and he did tonight.

The same for Arber. He had a tough preseason and start to the season but tonight, solid. Less is more for Arber. If he doesn't run around and try to be something he's not, he'll be just fine as a physical 3rd pairing/penalty killing defenseman.
The entire defense had a good game last night, specially keeping the front of the net clear and giving Monty a clear view. Also keeping the Sens to the outside of the ice. Collectively very good.

The issue with Barron is that once Struble is healthy, Struble is ahead of him and honestly, so would Mailloux if it wasn't for waivers.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Oh pls … Dipshit is utter trash. What does he bring to the table, what his “game” exactly?

No redeeming quality. Fortunately Struble’s return is going to plant him the press box for good.
I was wondering when you would chime in with your superior intelligence.
He an NHL player FFS he obviously has redeeming qualities.

Only a completely biased individual won't acknowledge the improvements BARRON has made.

Reactions: BLONG7

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I was wondering when you would chime in with your superior intelligence.
He an NHL player FFS he obviously has redeeming qualities.

Only a completely biased individual won't acknowledge the improvements BARRON has made.

Yeah, Barron played well. He even played on the pk which I find surprising, but he handles the puck well and finds spaces. X doesn't pk.

He's inconsistent but that should come with experience. I don't think he has a future in Montreal. Reinbacher will make the team, and Mailloux is close, too. Add in Struble & Engstrom and he's a goner, I think.

Still, if he can up his play, with him being a RD hopefully we can get a 2nd rounder for him, or trade him a larger trade.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
The entire defense had a good game last night, specially keeping the front of the net clear and giving Monty a clear view. Also keeping the Sens to the outside of the ice. Collectively very good.

The issue with Barron is that once Struble is healthy, Struble is ahead of him and honestly, so would Mailloux if it wasn't for waivers.
I see the three of Arber, JB and Struble all playing a decent amount of games until two of them separate themselves and I'm very ok with that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Primeau likely will be needed for 2-of next-8 GP on the back-to-backs

If he doesn’t perform better in those 2 games vs Bruins mediocre effort, I’m expecting some type of movement
And with Primeau, until he proves otherwise, I see him a goalie that will give you a shutout one night, then an average perfomance, but then you know the stinker or multiple stinkers are coming. Again, hopefully he changes that narrative.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah, Barron played well. He even played on the pk which I find surprising, but he handles the puck well and finds spaces. X doesn't pk.

He's inconsistent but that should come with experience. I don't think he has a future in Montreal. Reinbacher will make the team, and Mailloux is close, too. Add in Struble & Engstrom and he's a goner, I think.

Still, if he can up his play, with him being a RD hopefully we can get a 2nd rounder for him, or trade him a larger trade.
JB was very good on the PK
Nice surprise
He was steady last night

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Bombay sapphire. Can’t go wrong. With tonic Keeps the malaria away also.

Currently hooked on Hendricks and Empress Gin, could end up being a problem because I"M IN LOVE WITH BOTH

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Monty rarely gives up garbage goals, even when he initially struggled for us. He plays a quiet game, very well positioned and makes tough saves look easy. I said before that he would have a .915 save percentage on a decent team. He is good.
Yeah he is becoming quiet in the net. Square to puck. On his feet. Uses shoulders to make saves too. No fat rebounds. Really impressive.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
And with Primeau, until he proves otherwise, I see him a goalie that will give you a shutout one night, then an average perfomance, but then you know the stinker or multiple stinkers are coming. Again, hopefully he changes that narrative.
Actually last year I went back 10 games for Primeau and I kid you not, he alternated between great games and stinkers. Star, bum, star , bum....it was bizarre in his consistency.

Reactions: BLONG7

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The entire defense had a good game last night, specially keeping the front of the net clear and giving Monty a clear view.

While this is true; what is unclear is how much the better results are because of improved or better play from the Canadiens defenders or the massive size and physicality difference between the Boston forward group and Ottawa's.

The Bruins had nine forwards who were 6'3 or larger, the Senators have three.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The hate Barron gets here is Abf***ingsurd.
He wasn't even our worst defender last evening that was #72.
Whining about a penalty that was soft to begin with and goes uncalled more often than not.
He had a good game keeping himself between Seanator players and our net.
Montembault was able to track everything because we boxed out pretty well as a TEAM.
Arber needs to be better but he’s not a goofy ass skater and terrible decision maker like Barron.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

He's going to be a real problem for the opposition, he's so difficult to defend. What do you do? Attack him, he's going to make you look foolish, give him time and space, he's going to kill you. Such a truly creative player with immense hockey IQ and so fun to watch.

To think he's ours and we get to watch him for the next 15 years game in and out.

When Demidov gets here we're going to be so spoiled with entertainment, it's gonna be nuts!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Cole Caufield
Tied 2nd in the NHL for goals with 4 goals

Lane Hutson :
Tied 2nd in the NHL for a D with 4 points
1st in the NHL for Rookie

Sam Montembeault:
3rd in the NHL for GAA
2nd in the NHL for SV%

Kayden Guhle :
Tied 1st in the NHL for a D with +5
Tied 1st in the NHL for a D with 3 points at even strenght
1st in the NHL for blocked shot with 14

Let's the good trends continues, very early but better start strong than starts behind

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
6 assists in 5 games. Years ago Ryan Poehling would have ranked higher on Habs HFBoards prospect rankings because he had size. Size, without talent is still just size.

I’m kidding, but scouts do still think this way, even our own passed on him at 26 for Mesar. In a redo he is top 3-5 at worst.
We also passed on him at 33rd and went after Owen Beck.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Cole Caufield
Tied 2nd in the NHL for goals with 4 goals

Lane Hutson :
Tied 2nd in the NHL for a D with 4 points
1st in the NHL for Rookie

Sam Montembeault:
3rd in the NHL for GAA
2nd in the NHL for SV%

Kayden Guhle :
Tied 1st in the NHL for a D with +5
Tied 1st in the NHL for a D with 3 points at even strenght
1st in the NHL for blocked shot with 14

Let's the good trends continues, very early but better start strong than starts behind
Hopefully they can keep it up.
Imagine a dream world where we manage to squeak into the playoffs this season and go on a run with Demidov and a healthy Laine. It's probably too good to be true, but I'll be optimistic while I still can lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad