Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claim & Somehow Assign Lavoie to Farm... because Oilers.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Stecher is likely the 2nd smartest dman on this team (besides Ekholm)... once he's on a pairing with Nurse I think that 2nd pairing will be solid... or at least decent enough not to be "the main problem" with the team.

There's no reason Stecher should be healthy scratched on this team. Takes Oilers coaches and management a while but they will eventually come around to that realization as well.

It's also not just plug and play to get this offense going at the same rate it was last season... lots of changes in the lineup (on D and F) and no chemistry yet... people underrate and understate just how big of an effect roster turnover and personnel changes can have on a team.

The PK systems basically have to be learned from scratch by some on the team... forward lines have to gel... D pairings have to gel and learn each others traits. The team looked very disjointed and with no flow in preseason and that carries over to the regular season as well. It's not just an on-off switch to get going at 100% again.

I'm not shocked the Oilers shit themselves in game 1... I basically expected it against the best GA team in the NHL last season with Helly in net. I said I thought that this team would have struggles finding their offense at the same levels as last season and I still believe that,

Defensively it will take time as well... Emberson/Stecher/Dermott likely are just as good collectively on defense as Broberg/Ceci/Desharnais BUT it takes time for players to develop the chemistry and learn each others traits... so these first 5/10/20 games are likely going to be a roller coaster ride of ups and downs while this team develops it's chemistry again.

In net you have a very up and down Skinner as well... who can be awful one night and excellent the next... he's inconsistent and overall Skinner + Pickard is an average duo at best so the D and F have to be at their best for this team to go anywhere... but we knew that anyway from watching last year as well.

Reactions: DaGap

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The issue Burnt is we are a soft, slower and old team and Lavoie is a 6'4" player that does not play soft, has a great short and decent speed. Our next callup in case of injury arguably if they want Philp to get lots of time in Bako is a 5'10 player in Hamblin.

We drafter Lavoi 38th overall spent lots of time developing him and justvtoss him aside now when he is the closest to playing ever and let's not forget led our team in preseason goals while playing less games than most. The issue is that the Oilers hire development staff while not valuing prospects at all
I won't disagree the team is old and slow, but I think Evander Kane returning alone puts us at above average in terms of toughness. IMO Lavoie was average in toughness and average in speed, I won't say he hid from contact, but the fact he has a big shot led him to try and float his way into open space often neglecting corner work or the net front, the dirty areas of the game where his size is an asset. Like Hamblin I would consider both faster and tougher than Lavoie with how he plays the game, but lacks the size to impose his will and Perry I would consider substantially tougher and substantially slower than Lavoie.

It does suck that we spent time developing Lavoie without reaping any of the benefits just as he is starting to emerge as a potentially viable NHL player, at the end of the day though he developed slowly and simply didn't have the offensive production to bully his way on to a team that already scores a lot and lacked the utility to fill another role.

----------------------------------------
As an aside I think the Stars are a good team for us to look at as a template, they have a lot of old players and a decent chunk of slow players, but the team plays fast, they just have a small handful of players upfront who are damn quick and get really good puck movement from their back end, I think improving our puck movement and puck possession time will make the team feel faster and tougher even if the d-man we add himself doesn't do that, just cause we will be on top of and pressing teams more often.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
They should have moved Broberg after the playoffs knowing he didn't want to be here but instead they thought they could strong arm him since he had no arbitration rights. Hopefully a lesson learned not to let high first round picks that have shown they can contribute at the NHL level to remain RFA's all summer.
That's a fair argument, but with how rare offer sheets are I do think most teams operate as if they don't exist. BOS for example had multiple instances where it felt like they'd have to break up or trade a key piece away to make it work, but successfully squeezed their RFA's.

Reactions: TB12

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
RFAs are left to wait all the time.

St. Louis wanted to overpay him significantly c’est la vie.

The one thing I agree with is they knew he was not happy here so they should have traded him.
True but usually the teams have cap space set aside to match any offer sheet. The cap hit for Broberg had to be unexpected because no one would have predicted a team would offer sheet him for 4.6. They pretty much paid him 3 million more then he’s currently worth. At least with Holloway it was a slight overpay, probably around 750K.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
1000003142.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
$12.5M for a goalie is bonkers.
Absolutely not

He is the top goalie in the league. I don't see why he shouldn't get the same money as a top forward or D. Tampa doesn't regret paying huge cash to Vasilevsky

He always had more potential than Desharnais. I have to think that Woody had something to do with Kesselring not getting a chance here.
Kesselring not getting a chance is not the problem. Him succeeding likely has something to do with him staying in the minors for as long as he did. The real negative of that situation is that our team's own scouting didn't realize how good Kesselring was. For what he became, we overpaid by a lot

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Absolutely not

He is the top goalie in the league. I don't see why he shouldn't get the same money as a top forward or D. Tampa doesn't regret paying huge cash to Vasilevsky
Because average goalies in good systems often put up better numbers than the top goalies in the league. For instance, Daccord, Binnington and Talbot outplaying Shesterkin last year.

Forwards and D can't get carried by a system like goalies can.

Reactions: North

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Because average goalies in good systems often put up better numbers than the top goalies in the league. For instance, Daccord, Binnington and Talbot outplaying Shesterkin last year.

Forwards and D can't get carried by a system like goalies can.
Goalies and their agents wouldn't want to accept this view.

I also don't believe it. Maybe a goalie getting full support of a system can get some good stats but when the chips are down, talent is talent.

Also I think Shesterkin has been masking some flaws on the Rangers and carrying that team for some time. Just as a system can mask a goalie' mediocre talent, a great goalie can mask flaws in a team's systems or talent

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Absolutely not

Kesselring not getting a chance is not the problem. Him succeeding likely has something to do with him staying in the minors for as long as he did. The real negative of that situation is that our team's own scouting didn't realize how good Kesselring was. For what he became, we overpaid by a lot
Agreed. Shersterkin is one of the few goalies who is worth paying that to. Goalies of that quality can have the same impact as a franchise centre or franchise D. Arguably even more. It's too bad there's only like 3-4 of that type of goalie in the league at any given time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad