Habs cut seven plays including Roy

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Y
I think it's more than just this preseason.
Roy lived a charmed life last season.
His game didn't warrant a call up the second time around but we had no choice.

There were a number of players in different roles who had better camps and were cut.
A young Justin Barron suffered the exact same fate for the same reason.

The players notice these things. Multi-Million Dollar careers are on the line.
A very fair decision in my books.
Yep, Roy seemed more assertive when he came into the AHL, he was getting a lot of puck touches and playing with lots of confidence. He definitely wasn't ready for full time NHL duty when he got called up.

Apparently he doesn't have the best off-ice habits, he probably still needs to learn to be a pro and to have a pro mindset.

If he puts it all further, he will be amazing, his skills are through the roof (pretty much only his skating is a weakness). I'm rooting for him.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Could this be why he got selected in the 5th round?
I think when he was drafted people who follow the Q mentioned he had a lot of skill, but he's lazy.

He crushed the A to start and then you wouldn't notice him and you'd think he was hurt, but nope, just out there eating fun dip not giving a f***.

He got called up to the NHL and looked like a completely different player.

Gof sent back down and sucked like he did before he got called up.

Kid needs to realize he's got the talent, but he can't make it on talent alone and he needs to give a f***.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Kid needs to realize he's got the talent, but he can't make it on talent alone and he needs to give a f***.
It's not so much a question of caring, it's a question of figuring out the right way to play, because yes if he's always slowing the game down and relying on talent it's not going to work. But skating hard without a plan also won't work either even if it makes it look like he cares more.

It's about figuring out the time and place to push the pace and when to slow it down. When you use your anticipation/hockey iq to read the play you can be in the right place at the right time without having to skate like a madman. But it's easy to fall into the trap of over relying on that hockey iq which seems like it has happened with Roy this training camp but don't mistake that as not caring or not willing to work hard.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's not so much a question of caring, it's a question of figuring out the right way to play, because yes if he's always slowing the game down and relying on talent it's not going to work. But skating hard without a plan also won't work either even if it makes it look like he cares more.

It's about figuring out the time and place to push the pace and when to slow it down. When you use your anticipation/hockey iq to read the play you can be in the right place at the right time without having to skate like a madman. But it's easy to fall into the trap of over relying on that hockey iq which seems like it has happened with Roy this training camp but don't mistake that as not caring or not willing to work hard.
Yeah, that's true, but when the puck is 10, 15 feet away and he gives little to no effort to get in there and get it, that has nothing to do with figuring out how to play.

That's him being a lazy, uninterested player.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, that's true, but when the puck is 10, 15 feet away and he gives little to no effort to get in there and get it, that has nothing to do with figuring out how to play.

And if he's judging that he's going to lose the foot race to the puck even if he gives 100% effort is it better to give that effort just to look like he works hard, or is it better to position himself to cut off passing lanes/routes so that when the opponent does pick up the puck that's 10-15 feet away they won't have a good option available?

So yes it's very much a question of figuring out how to play because judging things like will I win this race to the puck is something that comes from experience. Sometimes the right play will be to engage in the foot race knowing you'll lose so that you can deliver a body check. Sometimes it's the right play to engage in that foot race just to keep the pressure up so that the opposing player rushes their play when they win the race, and sometimes it's too back off and be in a good position defensively.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
And if he's judging that he's going to lose the foot race to the puck even if he gives 100% effort is it better to give that effort just to look like he works hard, or is it better to position himself to cut off passing lanes/routes so that when the opponent does pick up the puck that's 10-15 feet away they won't have a good option available?

So yes it's very much a question of figuring out how to play because judging things like will I win this race to the puck is something that comes from experience. Sometimes the right play will be to engage in the foot race knowing you'll lose so that you can deliver a body check. Sometimes it's the right play to engage in that foot race just to keep the pressure up so that the opposing player rushes their play when they win the race, and sometimes it's too back off and be in a good position defensively.
Nah, that's just defending him.

Why ?

Because Roy then needs to know what his speed is, how fast he can get there, what part of the shift he's in and then do the same for the other player.

He's lazy at times.

What you're suggesting is he's trying to show he's playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers meanwhile he hasn't even set up the board yet.

When it's a 50/50 puck you go for it. You don't stand there, take a step and then try to back check not putting any pressure on the player so your d had an easier time to take the puck/guide him into the corner.

And if you're a huge Roy suppoeter and feel he's being targeted, he isn't. Heineman and Kapanen shouldn't have made the team, either, but when your forward group is ass, you have players make it when they shouldn't.

It was basically his spot to lose and he lost it.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Nah, that's just defending him.

Why ?

Because Roy then needs to know what his speed is, how fast he can get there, what part of the shift he's in and then do the same for the other player.

He's lazy at times.

What you're suggesting is he's trying to show he's playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers meanwhile he hasn't even set up the board yet.
Are you trying to say it's impossible for a player to know whether they will win a race to a loose puck?
When it's a 50/50 puck you go for it. You don't stand there, take a step and then try to back check not putting any pressure on the player so your d had an easier time to take the puck/guide him into the corner.

And if you're a huge Roy suppoeter and feel he's being targeted, he isn't. Heineman and Kapanen shouldn't have made the team, either, but when your forward group is ass, you have players make it when they shouldn't.

It was basically his spot to lose and he lost it.
What is and what isn't a 50/50 puck is subjective. Take any play where you say is a 50/50 puck and ask 10 people and you'll get 11 different answers.

Roy might very well judge his chances of winning a puck too conservative, giving himself lower odds then he really should. But that's not laziness, and no offence but claiming everyone who doesn't see things exactly as you do must be a huge supporter who can't be unbiased shows a lack of hockey iq so I doubt you are actually any good at judging a 50/50 puck.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Are you trying to say it's impossible for a player to know whether they will win a race to a loose puck?

What is and what isn't a 50/50 puck is subjective. Take any play where you say is a 50/50 puck and ask 10 people and you'll get 11 different answers.

Roy might very well judge his chances of winning a puck too conservative, giving himself lower odds then he really should. But that's not laziness, and no offence but claiming everyone who doesn't see things exactly as you do must be a huge supporter who can't be unbiased shows a lack of hockey iq so I doubt you are actually any good at judging a 50/50 puck.
You're just giving excuses to a player to be lazy.

The guy floated out there just like he did in the A for a lot of it.

If you can't break out of this then just move on.

I give you an example of him not wanting to battle and then not back checking and you're there trying to do say it's some esoteric shit.

You're right. Roy is some amazing player who sees the game way better than anyone else and I'm wrong for calling him lazy, others who said he had a bad camp are wrong, the coaching staff is wrong.

Guy is obviously playing at a level that no one else has attained yet, but you see it.

Forgive me, I'll never call Roy lazy again. I'll simply say he's... "advanced"

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
And he needs to star showing something this season -

Just stop....it is embarrassing to watch you gloat over Roy being cut. He will be back and he will be a very good player. Unfortunately he came into camp acting like a vet who was just trying to work on little things and trying not to get hurt. He did not come to camp trying to earn a spot and this will be a great lesson for him.

Well said!

Reactions: Toene

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Just stop....it is embarrassing to watch you gloat over Roy being cut. He will be back and he will be a very good player. Unfortunately he came into camp acting like a vet who was just trying to work on little things and trying not to get hurt. He did not come to camp trying to earn a spot and this will be a great lesson for him.
Not sure about that… sure seems like he came to camp thinking he could coast his was to the start of the season. Hope he now realizes MSL & Hughes are big proponents of proper attitude & work ethic….

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Not sure about that… sure seems like he came to camp thinking he could coast his was to the start of the season. Hope he now realizes MSL & Hughes are big proponents of proper attitude & work ethic….
I think this is part of the danger of having bums like Anderson, Dvorak, Armia and even Gallagher on the team. The kids see these lazy asses doing very little, bring nothing positive to the squad but still getting paid and emulate that. These guys have to go - because they bring nothing, and because they're a negative influence on the kids.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think this is part of the danger of having bums like Anderson, Dvorak, Armia and even Gallagher on the team. The kids see these lazy asses doing very little, bring nothing positive to the squad but still getting paid and emulate that. These guys have to go - because they bring nothing, and because they're a negative influence on the kids.
Gally isn't lazy, he's always going at 110%, but with years of doing that his body is overused now and his 110% is like 70% of what he used to be. He just need his minutes reduced (13 minutes and under prefereablly), which should be the case on the 4th line.

Armia became more constant in the 2nd half last year, after he started to consult a therapist. He was also waived last year and didn't complain and showed up first shift he played on the Rocket. He's actually a good example of going up/down and working to keep your spot.

MSL said today that everyone has to fight to keep their spot on the team. I give it two weeks (to give some times for new lines to "gel") before that quote is a lie...

Reactions: Habs13

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

He' not a complete player and ha goes down to A for a reason ...or two. That's on him to work harder and come back to nhl when he's more ready. He's still an interresting prospect, he's different because of his hockey IQ and vision. But this is not enough. In worst case, if he doesn't make it with the Habs, there will be a team somewhere to give him a chance, he's tradable.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The only one you mentioned that fits the description is Anderson
Dvorak - is boring but is far from trash. Not a bad vet
Armia - sadly armia remains lumped in this category for no reason. He hasn't been a problem since he got sent down
Gallagher - he's regressed hard but he's the last guy you can say isn't giving an effort or is a negative on the kids.

This criticism is repeated despite it crumbling every time it gets challenged.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah but if the kids are clever enough, they will understand the situation. They are not vets who had many decent seasons, they have to earn their spot.

Reactions: Habs13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad