Where do Babe Dye and Cy Denneny rank as all time best goal scorers?

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Where do Babe Dye and Cy Denneny rank as all time best goal scorers?

I just want to know because they both have a 0.75 goals per game which is tied for second all time with Mario Lemuiex but I don't ever hear them get brought up in the best goal scorer of all time conversations or top 10 best goal scorers of all time conversations.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Neither were the best goalscorer of their generation. Newsy Lalonde and Joe Malone were better in the 1915-1925 timeframe.

The GPG weirdness is partially from the NHL ignoring the NHA. And partially from how the birth years interact with that (rather arbitrary) cutoff.

Cy Denneny played on the clearcut best team of the era. He was a great player, but definitely benefited from being the trigger man on a deep defensive team.

Babe Dye probably had the best shot on the era, but offered little outside that.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I understand the question about Dye, but I'm less sure why it would be asked about Denneny. Dye led the NHL in goals four times, but Denneny only once. With the at times wild swings in scoring rates for the era, I don't think that a career GPG average is very informative from that time.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is one of the ERA questions.

For example. There have been over the years MANY threads down playing 99's goal out put saying he played in the era where there was no d and would not have anywhere near the same goal scoring if he played now.

In the case of the two guys mentioned in this thread, the same observation could be made. The videos of just what goalies wore during this era for padding is humerous

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I think it’s a normal question to ask about both of them.

Curiosity about his place in the pecking order is the sort of thing that brings new people to this little niche forum. OP registered less than two weeks ago.
Not meaning to belittle someone's attempts to learn. If it came across that way, I apologize. It was just intended as an impression.

Ad

Ad

Ad