Confirmed with Link: Habs claim forward Logan Shaw from Anaheim

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If you can't stand heat, don't work in a kitchen.

With that said, while L.Shaw is big, he isn't very physical, won't instill fear in anybody in the league. JT Brown is actually way more physical than him.

Since when size=grit, by the way ?
Since patches was anointed a power forward. That worked out well enough!:sarcasm:

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
McCarron's not good enough. In large part due to how the organization has handled him.
He's not good enough because he processes the game at a snail's pace.

Takes way too long to make decisions, doesn't react to plays quick enough and doesn't get to the areas of the ice he needs to be in time. Much like Tinordi.

There's plenty to blame the org for, but not every single prospect that doesn't pan out is due to mismanagement.

Reactions: Habs100

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Takes way too long to make decisions, doesn't react to plays quick enough and doesn't get to the areas of the ice he needs to be in time. Much like Tinordi.

There's plenty to blame the org for, but not every single prospect that doesn't pan out is due to mismanagement.

He was near PPG when he started in the AHL. He was called up and held in the NHL multiple times when he has a string of production.

Lefebvre said he would never be a scorer at the NHL level and theres a quote out there about their approach to developing him and it's hogwash.

He was mismanaged.

Reactions: Habs100

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
They could just have brought Adam Cracknell from Laval, the guy we traded for Holland. He's a center that got size and leadership, I liked what I've seen of him so far. He plays like a power forward.

Reactions: Belial

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
First I agree or I highly doubt that Logan Shaw will be any kind of answer.
On my point of view Habs are suffering of thier small size from years. When hooking was tolerate being a small team was a disadvantage. When every skater can skate his full speed and not being worry by goons or fighters, some small very fast players can be successfull but on the other side a heavy fast skater have nothing to stop him. If the big, tall and heavy skilled player can skate his full speed he becomes the king of the place and we see the western teams have some success. Anaheim, LA Kings and S-José are hard to beat and S Cup contenders. The goons are gone but the game changed into a more violent sport. The speed of the hits in the corners increased and players suffers from hits that looks like a bicycle accident 7 times a game. I saw a documentary the other night, I saw Semenko fighting every player trying to hit Gretzky. I saw several hits to Crosby and nobody like Semenko to punish back. The documentary said Crosby received hard hits in one year what Greztky received in his complete career.

In my view, the game changed into a pinball machine with humans. The balls rolls without restriction so the players "pinball" with more speed. Big Westerns teams rules with their heavy pressure puck. It happens that LA had the best team because they were faster, had the best duo of centers (Kopitar and Carter), the best D (Doughty) and the best G (Quick).
When a team like Chicago or Penguins wins it's mainly because their duo or centers rules that year. Or let's say a group of scoring forwards that include solid centers. Crosby and Malkin are very good. Toews and Kane top talent too. Yes they are not big and heavy (as an whole team) like LA Kings or Anaheim but they are not the smallest (or little weight) team like Habs are ...every year!
In the range of weight, being into the 60% heavy of the league like Tampa bay are would be a good number. Rangers are heavy enough to go thru two rounds of PO most of the years, they lack some top talent but they can go thru some physical rounds of PO. St-Louis and Nashville are heavy enough and have some skilled players too, both good teams in PO.

Sorry for a long post guys, I just wanted to defend the idea of the Habs should get more weight without sacrifice talent. Logan Shaw is a player claimed by weavers. Zero cost, mostly zero results. Few times it works great. Byron is one example, Beauchemin and Hainsey have been lost by weavers.

Well that's great man but doesn't have much to do with what I said.
Talent trumps all. We get Logan Shaw or not is irrelevant. If Deslaurier can keep producing as he has, then he's a terrific addition to our bottom lines and having more guys like him would be great. If Shaw can be similar, then that would be really good. However, it is not going to change a single thing to whether or not we win more games.
What matters are the top positions, until that is fixed, no amount of Shaw or Deslaurier is going to change a thing.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
He was near PPG when he started in the AHL. He was called up and held in the NHL multiple times when he has a string of production.

Lefebvre said he would never be a scorer at the NHL level and theres a quote out there about their approach to developing him and it's hogwash.

He was mismanaged.

Because his flaws aren't apparent at the AHL level. Regardless of whether he goes PPG in the AHL or 0.5PPG, it won't translate to the NHL.

There is no proper development approach to a player who isn't capable of playing the game at NHL speed.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
This post doesn't make any sense
since it was in response of "should ask NHler what they think"...

well I don't care what they think, their job is to entertain hockey fans, if they don't like being dominated physically I don't care, there's a shitload of "small people" who would gladly take their spot.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Because his flaws aren't apparent at the AHL level. Regardless of whether he goes PPG in the AHL or 0.5PPG, it won't translate to the NHL.

There is no proper development approach to a player who isn't capable of playing the game at NHL speed.

we'll see what happens in the next year or two as bigger guys are going to take longer to learn how to play with their large frames. That said his best asset is his play in front of the net especially on the PP. He still could have been handled better then putting him with a ECHL/AHL tweener and a guy that has been struggling big time. If it's a development league and wins don't matter, which is what I've been told time and time again in the AHL threads over the course of Lefebvre's tenure, why not put your 1st round pick on the top line with Terry and Scherbak to at least try and get him going.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bergevin keeps proving my point that he just wings it. What does Shaw bring that McCarron can’t? What a horribly managed organization

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

So which prospect that did not pan out you would say was mishandled?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'm sure this just thrills McCarron.

I have no problem with McCarron developing his game in the AHL. Whether Lefebvre is developing him properly is a concern. But at this stage of his career, he should be in the AHL playing 18 minutes a night in all situations.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bergevin keeps proving my point that he just wings it. What does Shaw bring that McCarron can’t? What a horribly managed organization

I'd actually rather lose with a waiver pickup while McCarron gets a lot of ice time in Laval, as it's not like CJ would play McCarron a lot anyway. I just wish they would put McCarron with Terry and Scherbak instead of Cracknell.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

He never really excelled at any level. Not even junior. They took a chance on him but it failed. I don’t think he would have been any better anywhere else. It’s ridiculous that people on this board were so hyped for this guy for so long. It was obvious 2 years ago.

Reactions: Rapala

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'd actually rather lose with a waiver pickup while McCarron gets a lot of ice time in Laval, as it's not like CJ would play McCarron a lot anyway. I just wish they would put McCarron with Terry and Scherbak instead of Cracknell.
I agree but he is regressing under Lefebvre to the point where he is about to become a first round bust.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He never really excelled at any level. Not even junior. They took a chance on him but it failed. I don’t think he would have been any better anywhere else. It’s ridiculous that people on this board were so hyped for this guy for so long. It was obvious 2 years ago.

The Habs haven't got the right formula for today's NHL the Speed/Strength/Talent quotient.
If thirty points is looked at as a maximum rating McCarron doesn't even hit 20.
His skating is keeping him behind the play all night long here. Does anyone know if he tried working on it?
Did our player development team ask him to take a page out of Bo Horvat's dossier?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I never saw a poster write that McCarron would be more than a 3rd liner.. At Best
I do actually remember a lot of posters being high on him. It was at a time when size was more important and we were probably the smallest team in the league. Anytime he had a few good games posters were saying they saw potential for him being the big center we'd all hoped for. I remember pointing out that his numbers at the junior were not that good, and posters saying they had just seen him live and numbers don't mean anything, he has talent, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad