Post-Game Talk: Habs can't stop a puck or stay healthy. Rags wipe out Habs in Montreal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is the shithole Bergevin left us with.
As much as Molson deserves credit for hiring current management, he has the burden of responsibility for having hired Bergevin, for extending him too quickly, for keeping him far too long all the while fashioning himself a hockey executive among the many other hats he wore.

Good news is that not only he’s now left it in the capable hands of new people, but it looks like Geoff is not as immediately involved. The org is much better structured. It was the shithole that Geoff allowed Bergevin to leave behind as he was incapable of taking corrective measures in a timely manner.

This is continuing to cost in terms of time needed for a turnaround but at least it’s been trending in the right direction.

As your post implied, there is no bandaid solution. In the meantime, nice to see some high upside scoring talents in the fold.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Math Savard
Hutson Guhle
Xhekaj barron
Struble Mailloux

I guess the idea was to make room and get some playing time / internal competition among the bottom 4 or 5 listed.

I was thinking earlier that they could use Kovacevic.
Hutson needed and needs to be in the AHL. He is not ready to play defense in the NHL. That eliminates the need to trade one of the two d-men they unloaded over the summer. Mailloux was sent down so I don't know why you got him on your lineup.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Essentially replaced Monahan with a rusty Dach and Harris with Hutson ...not sure why anyone expected a "step". Management did not do enough to insulate these young guys.
THIS

Everyone who believed we would be better than bottom 10, only has themselves to blame.

Reinbacher was the wrong pick and that is a year lost in the rebuild. Next year Demidov will be here and that wil help us. If you want a rebuild to go good, you need to wait for your top drafted players to have an impact.

The only player we drafted in the first round since the rebuild started whos on our team is Slafkovsky.

Mesar, Bech, Hage and, Reinbacher are all far away. Lucky we drafted Demidov.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
1) Getting reps to Harris and Kovacevic make no sense. They were not parts of our near or long term future. That's why they are gone. We need Guhle, Hutson, Barron, Mailloux, and Struble (and Reinbacher) to get better at the NHL level, so that they peak when the team can compete for the cup again.

2) No scheme is going to help this defense, only time. A lot of it.
Savard is not part of our near or long-term future, but he's on the team. You don't keep one or both of Harris and Kovacevic because they are in our plans. You keep them to insulate the young D-men in our pool. If Harris was still here, Hutson could be where he needs to be in the AHL, and Harris could also spell Barron. Our defense last year wasn't great but compared to this year's it looked like everyone of them would be Norris Trophy nominated.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Barron shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

Bit of a joke that Matheson got an instigator when he didn't drop the gloves and rush Trouba like what you mostly see.

Anytime the Habs player throws a hit and drops the gloves there's almost never an instigator.

Anyways, Marty can get lost at the end of the season

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Hutson needed and needs to be in the AHL. He is not ready to play defense in the NHL. That eliminates the need to trade one of the two d-men they unloaded over the summer. Mailloux was sent down so I don't know why you got him on your lineup.
As I said, the plan was to get mailloux playing time, which we are literally seeing right now.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Savard is not part of our near or long-term future, but he's on the team. You don't keep one or both of Harris and Kovacevic because they are in our plans. You keep them to insulate the young D-men in our pool. If Harris was still here, Hutson could be where he needs to be in the AHL, and Harris could also spell Barron. Our defense last year wasn't great but compared to this year's it looked like everyone of them would be Norris Trophy nominated.

Hudson doesn't need to be in the AHL lol.

What.the.f***

He's going to have bad games, he will have 20-30-40 bad games.
I don't give a flying f***.

He might win the calder if he gets 60 pts.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hey Jeff,Kent remember that game where the Caps Rag-dolled the Rangers,yeah.....were there. Even Laviolette looked embarrassed for the habs :clap:

I'm not embarrassed for the Habs. We're rebuilding. Hopefully it gives the young guys a kick in the butt to know what it takes to be a winning team in the NHL - they will have to work hard to improve their individual skills and team 200 foot game.

And no vet should feel entitled to ice time, or even to be in the lineup.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
There is (was) a lot more depth at D than F, it's why Xhekaj and Struble got benched... not enough spots.

And too many LD, Mailloux plays cause he's RD. We need a trade. Many trades.
Ya I get that but Arber brings an element that no other man does. And it's a massive hole on the team overall (talking about toughness). I'm watching that faceoffs series right now and man... I'm really looking at Utah who drafted Tij (that was my pick this year) and thinking... If this kid turns out like M. Tkachuk did... We'll have missed the opportunity to add an impact player at least twice in the last 3 years...

Anyways... Arber should be dressed. Cut someone else.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Ya I get that but Arber brings an element that no other man does. And it's a massive hole on the team overall (talking about toughness). I'm watching that faceoffs series right now and man... I'm really looking at Utah who drafted Tij (that was my pick this year) and thinking... If this kid turns out like M. Tkachuk did... We'll have missed the opportunity to add an impact player at least twice in the last 3 years...

Anyways... Arber should be dressed. Cut someone else.
I want them to try Arber at LW. He's a perfect 4th liner.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hutson worst game. Suzuki and Kapanen looked good.
His only bad game which is impressive
Prob last nite he was trying to do too much

Matheson has several of those games without doing too much lol

My fear for Hutson in the AHL is the number of troglodytes and goons that would crush him if & when Lane turned them inside out.
LoL he's not going to the AHL
Even with a few mistakes he stood out with his offensive attacks

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Injuries hurt this team of course
Dach is not the same player
Newhook has been terrible
Matheson has been ehhh
Then add the injuries
Goaltending turning bit soft
Team overall is soft
U got probs

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Barron shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

Bit of a joke that Matheson got an instigator when he didn't drop the gloves and rush Trouba like what you mostly see.

Anytime the Habs player throws a hit and drops the gloves there's almost never an instigator.

Anyways, Marty can get lost at the end of the season
Back to Robida's island for both those clowns.:nod:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly, they started the game off well and came back well, but two things killed them.

The non-icing, icing. That was icing all day long, the refs f***ed them, but the two kids learned a lesson that you can't stop until you hear the whistle. Incompetent officiating happens in the NHL too often.

The muffin of a 5th goal against by Primeau.

In the end, the goaltending regressing to the mean from last year, multiple execution failures to clear a puck from the zone when they get the chance, and the lack of depth to overcome major pieces of the line-up being out, and you'll get this against a bonafide cup contender that was built by our very own Gorton.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Our first draft of the rebuild happened 26 months ago. Out of that draft, we've added Slaf and Hutson who are 20 years old, and the latter is green as they come.

The actual rebuild has barely started. People give too much weight to the handful of prospects/young players who were already here when the rebuild started.

The fallacy is believing this team will significantly improve simply by having Suz, CC and Slaf magically turn into a real first line that will mitigate all the problems this roster has, and which won't actually be fixed until we add players who go into their proper chair, which needs more time, drafting and developing.

Asking for results this early is just a foulhardy proposition. People need to get comfortable with the fact that Suzuki and Caufield will be between 25 to 30 years old when the team will be much better, and they won't be the team's best players.

By the time we'll be 4 years removed from our first rebuild draft of 2022, so 2026, Slaf and Hutson will only still be 22 years old, heading on 23. Demidov and Hage will be 20, heading on 21. Reinbacher and Fowler will be 21 heading on 22. Those will be a huge chunk of the actual core.

The simple truth is, many here don't have the required patience for a rebuild, but guess what? Better get used to it. This is the shithole Bergevin left us with. There's no miracle trade, no signing or coach that will alleviate our woes. Our asset base was demolished, no matter if a few remnants like Suz, CC and Guhle were a part of it. That asset base won't get significantly raised by trades. There's hardly players willing to sign here to raise that asset base either, and no coach will come with a magic wand to turn frogs into princes.

A simple exercise: What age will those players be when Suzuki is 30 years old? Slaf and Hutson will be 25. Demidov and Hage will be 23. Reinbacher and Fowler will be 24. They will all still be very young and just at the cusp of their prime. The actual core will all be between 23 and 30 years old, with most of them around 25 years old.
They want to win now with Suzuki at 1C and Caufield at 1 Wing lol , let them have their meltdowns

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hutson -4. Yikes.

There are a boatload of elite vets who've had -3 games in the last two weeks. Malkin twice, Hamilton twice. Makar, Crosby, Rielly, Schenn, OEL, Tavares, Stamkos, Tanev, Marner, Matthews, Ekblad, ELindholm, McKinnon and many others.

It should be expected from a rookie foisted on the first pair of a shit roster with not even 10 games of pro experience.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
There are a boatload of elite vets who've had -3 games in the last two weeks. Malkin twice, Hamilton twice. Makar, Crosby, Rielly, Schenn, OEL, Tavares, Stamkos, Tanev, Marner, Matthews, Ekblad, ELindholm, McKinnon and many others.

It should be expected from a rookie foisted on the first pair of a shit roster with not even 10 games of pro experience.
Still doesn't erase his -4. I didn't say he was a bad player, friend.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
If they’re going to at least compete with the lineup the way it is right now, I think they need to switch to a more boring, trap style game. Maybe they lose but it might at least be close. There’s no way this team is going to suddenly turn things around next game. Things were shaky even before all the injuries. There’s no second line whatsoever. Dach still MIA. Goaltending (which I strongly defended) is really shaky. No wonder they fell apart. You can’t let in those first 3 goals. You just can’t. Those were totally stoppable. Imagine if NY had scored on some of the 5 posts they hit?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I expected this tbh.

Last year we overachieved because of hot goaltending and all those OT games. How many times we also ended up playing the opponent's backup?
This year (at least for now), teams are actually taking us seriously and people are all surprised we suck so bad.
This is still a bottom 3 forward core.

Kudos for Matheson for having the balls to fight Trouba, Dach was closer but chickened out.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad