Post-Game Talk: Habs can't stop a puck or stay healthy. Rags wipe out Habs in Montreal.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
THAT is a fact.
👍

i mean it's a delicate situation again, and now the injuries are piling up. Two, top 6 wingers, Guhle, Barron..who am I missing?
goaltending has been bad.
losing every puck battle with a combo of bergevin leftovers who are bad or don't give a crap.
Bad in defensive zone with a lot of inexperienced guys and an overplayed Matheson and savard who's great in the room but should've been traded already.
And too small and soft (see puck battles) Newhook, Hutson, Gallagher, Caufield etc...
yeah I get some of them are talented but the team is too small with no defined 4th line.
They're not waiving ally or anderson. Maybe Armia or Dvorak get waivered as they're UFA's too be - but it's way too early in the year.

I'd still love to see them bring up Tuch and Condotta and play them with Pezz.
Stop sitting Arber too
The problem is the head coach won't comprehend

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don’t care. That is what a rebuild is. Look around the league. That is a rebuild. You might not like it. But as an ex-US President said: it is what it is.

Again though. Arber cannot sit anymore.

And get another tough cookie (no pun intended) as a 4th liner.

You guys wanted the kids to get experience at the blue line. Well, you are served. Enjoy!

I'm thinking MSL listeneded to what another former President said:

"They misunderestimated me."

I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here.

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefull

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.

Can we win? I don't think you can win it."

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
I’ve been cracking jokes but the scoop is this…
You don’t need talent to provide structure and defense.

MSL job is to try to win hockey games…

NHL scheduled games fans pay to see aren’t your classroom..
He’s putting the cart before the horse.. your team isn’t talented enough to go out there and just “play”

Defense needs to be a priority.
This is starting to look like a serious serious issue

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He just called out Anderson and Dvorak. "At some point you have to get rid or players".

Agreed 100%. You can't keep vets that don't care around for years! What does that teach the young guys?

I'd rather have Barre-Boulet than Dvorak. Definitely would prefer Tuch (I know, he's not ready... but still)
Put Anderson on waivers. If some one takes him great. It's better than wasting a retained spot for years.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Monahan was a big blow. When he was healthy, the team played better. They failed to get decent veterans to surround the kids. We have a bunch of washed up bums with inflated contracts filling those roles.
Failed or decided it's not time yet? They still have some guys to get rid of before it makes sense to start signing people. They'll have to be very careful who they sign, though, they won't necessarily need major talent or top line players in their prime, but they will need experienced guys who know what it takes to win that can explain it to the young guys.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Did we get more injuries?? Didn't see the game
image.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Habs13

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
We've been out shot in 6 of our 7 games so far. The only game we had more shots was against the Sens where we had 1 more shot. In total we've been out shot 245-179 on the season.

We're getting absolutely rinsed 5 on 5. There's only so much Marty can do with such a young d core, but I'm hoping we see some notable progression in our 5 on 5 play come January.

Reactions: Pomee and Big Lurk

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Failed or decided it's not time yet? They still have some guys to get rid of before it makes sense to start signing people. They'll have to be very careful who they sign, though, they won't necessarily need major talent or top line players in their prime, but they will need experienced guys who know what it takes to win that can explain it to the young guys.
It's not about "being time", it's about not wasting time, and especially wasting players.

Monahan was a great guy to learn from. Dvorak ain't. Anderson ain't. Armia ain't.

Buy them out. Give a few picks. Trade a promising A-/B player. I don't care, Get. Those. Guys. Out. Of. Town.

Reactions: Pomee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, we weren't the only team to get smoked tonight.

Leafs lost 6-2 to Blue Jackets
Devils lost 8-5 to TB
Panthers 5-1 to Wild

But, this team isn't mediocre like many other Montreal teams were, it's downright bad. They're getting absolutely run out of the rink. Shots 45-23. We might be faced with a worse team ever situation.

Out of 7 games, we've played one strong game (against Ottawa). Montembeault had 6 goals saved above expected against the Leafs. They should have beat us 6-1. Lol We probably deserved more against Boston, but man, this does not look promising - more like disheartening.

We have St. Louis on Saturday, which will be another really tough game. Then we're in Philadelphia Sunday. It's really, really probable that by end of Sunday we'll be last in the Eastern Conference & 3rd last (30th) in the League.

We're worse than last season.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
We've been out shot in 6 of our 7 games so far. The only game we had more shots was against the Sens where we had 1 more shot. In total we've been out shot 245-179 on the season.

We're getting absolutely rinsed 5 on 5. There's only so much Marty can do with such a young d core, but I'm hoping we see some notable progression in our 5 on 5 play come January.
Sens game is the only good game we played this year, Monty stole one and wow we have 2 wins, the math adds up.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The blue line is full of pups. No team has ever looked good by playing 4 d-men day in and day out with less experience than what Mtl has done over the course of the last 2 seasons.

Savard has finally hit the proverbial wall and Matheson is just trying to do too much with what he sees right now. Who’s left?!? You got 4 pups! Mailloux needs to go back, Lane is not 100% ready, Barron? We saw tonight. Struble is a 3rd pairing guy with less than a season of play in the pros. I mean, come on, mates.

For now, if I’m HuGo, I’m looking at my pro scouts’ reports and calling my fellow GMs for 3rd pairing help, experienced help.

Guhle is a remarkable defenceman (his absence is as felt tonight, imagine that, still so young). But he can’t do it alone.

BTW, if you think this beating wasn’t directed at Gorton, then I don’t know what to say. The Rags mauled the kiddos to let the big boss upstairs know that his kiddos are not ready yet.

Gorton’s ego took a beating tonight. Il a mal à son orgeuil.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It's not just the young D, it's Kirby Dach. It's not having Slaf... We don't have Roy in the lineup so we've got to use one of Anderson, Gallagher or Armia on the second. There's not a lot of options there.

Our biggest issue right now is that one of our best players is playing at a sub NHL level. That's killing us.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Sky isn't even falling you guys are dramatic embrace the tank
Yeah as bad as that game was I just dunno what the long term takeaway is supposed to be from a game without Slaf/Laine/Guhle where our top pair was Matheson-Barron, Mailloux/Struble each played 20 minutes, and our 2nd line was Newhook - Kapanen - Armia. Would like to see the team stop being so soft as a group but similarly it's hard to get too wound up about that when there were at most 6 forwards dressed tonight who will be around 2-3 years from now.

I figured we'd be better (somewhere in the 20-24th range) but I also didn't expect to lose so many important players so quickly or for literally every single vet other than Gallagher to be absolutely terrible. Not that I thought the veteran guys would be particularly good but Savard/Armia/Dvorak should at least be OK depth NHLers and they're playing like absolute dogwater right now. Anderson too but I can't pretend I'm remotely surprised by how bad he's been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad