Post-Game Talk: Habs can't stop a puck or stay healthy. Rags wipe out Habs in Montreal.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
"Josh andersson is doing good things, we want him to get going". Maybe he has rocks for brains guys and he was never gonna be good. Anderson getting so much slack while Arber gets scratched twice already is mind boggling.
There is (was) a lot more depth at D than F, it's why Xhekaj and Struble got benched... not enough spots.

And too many LD, Mailloux plays cause he's RD. We need a trade. Many trades.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
A couple of posters commented on the defense. There are two points I want to make.

1) Over the summer management made two trades. They unloaded Harris and Kovacecic. They were not top pairing d-men but they did an admirable job. HuGo must have thought that Barron and Hutson were ready to step up. Obviously, they are not ready.

2) In one of the training camp pressers MSL mentioned that he and Robidas came up with another scheme (or to use Marty's jargon) concept when in our defensive zone. Maybe they should go back to the old one.

When management decides that a Hutson with all his flaws on defense is NHL ready, that tells me they don't really care about defense. After all, what did Hughes say to Dach after trading for him? It wasn't are you ready to come to a winning team? No it was are you ready to play offensive hockey. (Or are you ready to score goals, I don't remember the exact words.) Now I'm not blaming Hutson for what is happening to the defense but the decision to play such a defensively flawed d-man in the NHL is symptomatic of management's thinking. We're gonna outscore the opposition. LOL!

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Yeah as bad as that game was I just dunno what the long term takeaway is supposed to be from a game without Slaf/Laine/Guhle where our top pair was Matheson-Barron, Mailloux/Struble each played 20 minutes, and our 2nd line was Newhook - Kapanen - Armia. Would like to see the team stop being so soft as a group but similarly it's hard to get too wound up about that when there were at most 6 forwards dressed tonight who will be around 2-3 years from now.

I figured we'd be better (somewhere in the 20-24th range) but I also didn't expect to lose so many important players so quickly or for literally every single vet other than Gallagher to be absolutely terrible. Not that I thought the veteran guys would be particularly good but Savard/Armia/Dvorak should at least be OK depth NHLers and they're playing like absolute dogwater right now. Anderson too but I can't pretend I'm remotely surprised by how bad he's been.
He’s freaking awful also.

Reactions: Pomee and MasterD

TheYardMachine

Nice guy. Tries hard. Loves the game.
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2018
Listening to MSL and its not encouraging at all

He looks out of answer and feels like its small mistakes there and there that cost the game but the team looks terrible

Reactions: Pomee

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
i mean it's a delicate situation again, and now the injuries are piling up. Two, top 6 wingers, Guhle, Barron..who am I missing?
goaltending has been bad.
losing every puck battle with a combo of bergevin leftovers who are bad or don't give a crap.
Bad in defensive zone with a lot of inexperienced guys and an overplayed Matheson and savard who's great in the room but should've been traded already.
And too small and soft (see puck battles) Newhook, Hutson, Gallagher, Caufield etc...
yeah I get some of them are talented but the team is too small with no defined 4th line.
They're not waiving gally or anderson. Maybe Armia or Dvorak get waived as they're UFA's to be - but it's way too early in the year.

I'd still love to see them bring up Tuch and Condotta and play them with Pezz.
Stop sitting Arber too
Not sure I would bring more kiddos. Let them learn the ropes in Laval, who seems to have a good team this season. Let’s find some Crash Davises (baseball analogy) lying around.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Kovasevic was adequate and looks solid in NJ.
We need a steady presence there. I'd also look to move Matheson and that would allow Guhle to go back to his natural side. At a minimum it would calm things down in our own end. The blueline is inexeprienced and we knew it would be an issue. But Dach's just as big a problem right now. That second line is horrible and he was bad filling in on the first today. I'm all for giving him the reps - we need to be patient - but in the meantime it's gonna be rough. And if you don't have Dach on the second, then a guy like Roy would be limited in what he can do if we bring him up. Unless Dach finds his game... it's gonna be ugly this year.

Reactions: Pomee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad