Habs are the worst defensive team in the league

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
MSL brought some optimism to the Habs, but they probably should have thought more carefully about hiring a guy who only coached PeeWee.

They're not going anywhere and aren't going to take the next step with MSL.

Options are really limited because of the French speaker requirement. Hey, I understand why the requirement is there but it is a real handicap.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Mailloux is the most offensive only oriented d we have. Guhle is the defensive beast but it's hard to play d with four youngsters when Matheson sucks defensively and Savard looks absolutely brutal this year.
Funny I literally just edited my post bc I thought back to how on 2012 draft night, the Penguins took Pouliot 8th OA, Maatta 22nd OA, and acquired Brian Doumolin in a trade. When they won the cup, Dumo was on the top pair, Maatta on the bottom, and Pouliot was a bust.

TL;DR I remembered that it won’t just be the first round picks

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Only 13 centres in the entire league had more points than Nick Suzuki last year, but you says he's a #2 centre.

How does that work?

How you determine who is and isn't a first line centre, because it appears production has nothing to do with it, so I'd love to know what criteria you are using.

We see players put up points on bad teams all the time, especially ones that don't ask their players to be accountable defensively. Suzuki wasn't great defensively last year, and it seems the lesson he took was to push more in that direction to try and score more.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mailloux is the most offensive only oriented d we have. Guhle is the defensive beast but it's hard to play d with four youngsters when Matheson sucks defensively and Savard looks absolutely brutal this year.
Savard has also missed 20 games a season for the 3 he's been with Montreal.
To develop young D, you need a solid partner for them, otherwise, it's kids playing with other kids.

So, clearly a mistake on the Habs GM for not having a solid enough veteran Prescence to help the kids develop. Being another year old with 70 more games to their name won't do the Habs young D much if they are not getting better from game 1 to game 82 this season. Not with more young D being inserted onto the roster next season.

Looking back, too many roster moves to try to upgrade up front, with Newhook/Laine and all of that Zegras talk, and clearly overlooking what they needed on the backend to develop that group.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
oh is Hutson the savior now? Did the Xhekaj obsession wear off already?
Some of you have the weirdest chirps. Maybe get a little more creative and accurate next time and you might be able to karma farm a few extra likes

But OP is 100% right lol this team stinks right now. Going to be a long ass year. We need a complete overhaul on our D and while I believe MSL is fine for this year, we will need a competent coach at some point to teach these kids how to play hockey.

I know it's early but this team somehow looks worse than it did last year without Dach and Hutson

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We see players put up points on bad teams all the time, especially ones that don't ask their players to be accountable defensively. Suzuki wasn't great defensively last year, and it seems the lesson he took was to push more in that direction to try and score more.

Are you serious?

Nick Suzuki was abolutely good defensively last year. He received 14 votes for the Selke. What are you talking about?

Why don't you try again, and explain how have you arrived at the conclusion that a centre who was only outscored by 13 other centres in the entire league, and garnered 14 votes for the Selke isn't a first line centre.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Haven’t seen anyone mention 5 games yet.
It's been 3 years but sure.

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 8.01.48 PM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad