Post-Game Talk: Habs 3, Pens 2 - To Me It Looks Like Monkeys Trying to Hump A Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I didn't get to see the game last night but I taped it. Gonna watch it now. I'm pretty excited, guys. My expectations are that its going to be the most enjoyable, rewarding hockey viewing experience of my life. Here. We. Go.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yes he would. With Despres, we'd either be able to role a monster pairing of Maatta-Letang for 25+ minutes a night or two very solid 20+ minute a night pairings of Despres-Letang and Maatta-Cole. We'd have two pairings that can transition the puck well rather than one, and Scuderi's pairing would get less ice time.

Yup.

Despres/Maatta - Letang
Despres/Maatta - Cole
Scuderi - Dumoulin/Pouliot/Clendening

Top 4 plays 25 and 21 minutes a night and that leaves 14 minutes for the 3rd pairing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You think those profits are gonna continue into Sid and Geno's 30s? Its pretty obvious this team is all about the present. The owner will need to recognize that.

Mario's getting out now b/c the value of the team has peaked. He bought low and sold high. Good for him.

And like IC mentioned, I think its necessary. Mario deserves his retirement package and the team needs a new look from top to bottom.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You think those profits are gonna continue into Sid and Geno's 30s? Its pretty obvious this team is all about the present. The owner will need to recognize that.

Mario's getting out now b/c the value of the team has peaked. He bought low and sold high. Good for him.

And like IC mentioned, I think its necessary. Mario deserves his retirement package and the team needs a new look from top to bottom.

Any buyer will be getting a nice $30 million expansion bonus right out of the gate, though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Has Määttä ever played a good game when Johnston has been the coach? I was just thinking.

Yes. He was tremendous before he went out last year.

Based on the games so far, I'm not sure why we're talking about Maatta on a monster pairing. He's being clearly outplayed by Dumoulin and Cole so far.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Nice players, but I just don't see either helping much with the fact that the team can't score goals.

Maybe Dupuis will knock Kunitz away from Sid's line. Dupuis would also mostly suck there, but he would at least skate, which would make him slightly more useful than Kunitz.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If the team doesn't right the ship by the time they're back, it won't matter. I had no problem with MJ, but he's not that hard to replace.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Two good players that will either bump Perron back to the right side or bump Bennett to the fourth line. Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to their return all that much.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

You rarely (unless you're talking about the Leafs, Habs, Rangers, etc) buy a team for the yearly profits.

While it's easy to point to how high Pittsburgh's value has peaked since the 05 lockout, every team's value has gone up. Anaheim's for crying out loud is worth 300m more then what it was purchased for in 2005 - and they lose money yearly.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Dupuis at the very least would bust his ass and forecheck for Sid. He'd be an improvement on the first line over Kunitz. I would never put either in the top 6 if I was calling the shots, but such is the incompetence of this organization.

Could you guys imagine rolling this lineup when healthy?

BB-Crosby-Horny
Perron-Malkin-Kessel
Plotkinov-Bonino-Sprong
Kunitz-Fehr-Dupuis

Not everybody on their natural sides, so not ideal. Still, looks good. Instead we will get something like this.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Dupuis-Malkin-Hornqvist
Perron-Bonino-BB
Plotkinov-Fehr-Porter

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
0mDO6nB.gif

So I found this lurking on the Kings board.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Two good players that will either bump Perron back to the right side or bump Bennett to the fourth line. Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to their return all that much.

Exactly. Those guys returning won't knock the dead weight out of prominent roles, they'll just move good players further down the line-up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fehr and Dupuis will help us, mainly because they bring a checking dimension to the offense. I'm not sure where they fit, to be honest, but at least those two give us options to move things around and find where guys fit best. Both can also bring some goal scoring depth, which is always helpful.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
At least with Martin we might hate the structure......but there would still be a structure. At least it would be enough to get back to a Disco-level mild playoff-caliber team.

As for the team, another thing I don't like about it is it has a total lack of character. Who are the bangers? Who are the diggers? Who are the infectious emotional players? Who is the thorn in the other team's side? We have none of these things. We have a bunch of hockey players of various skill levels. That's pretty much how I'd describe our team.

I'll give you a hint, his name starts with "F" and ends with "arnham"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad