Post-Game Talk: Habs 3, Pens 2 - To Me It Looks Like Monkeys Trying to Hump A Football

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The right staff would likely save a playoff berth, but no one's coaching up this defense you can mark that down. It doesn't seem like they've been terrible so far but don't worry it'll come.

I think Jacques Martin would coach up this defense, but it would be at the expense of the offense even more than now. We would play boring, trap-infested hockey in order to salvage the season. I fully expect to see it, mind you.

I think we need to go to Europe, find a coach who is used to having a ton of skill in the lineup. Someone with a ton of experience, who commands respect.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Literally.

51rmS99Q0AL.jpg

Haha, I actually bought the book on my kindle last year when we hired him, and have yet to read it. Homework assignment. Expect a report next week.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think Jacques Martin would coach up this defense, but it would be at the expense of the offense even more than now. We would play boring, trap-infested hockey in order to salvage the season. I fully expect to see it, mind you.

I think we need to go to Europe, find a coach who is used to having a ton of skill in the lineup. Someone with a ton of experience, who commands respect.

So like, Mike Keenan? Or are we going to give Ulf Samuelsson another go?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

Even more than now? They have scored 3 goals in 3 games. It can't possibly get any worse than that. One would hope Martin is smart enough to change his systems to accomodate the makeup of the Pens' roster.

The worst thing to me is that everybody is trying to figure out what is wrong with Sid and Geno. It's just too big of a coincidence to me that both guys would fall off a cliff as players at the same time. The question is not what is wrong with them, the question is what is wrong with the whole damn organization.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The Depres trade hurts, but he wouldn't take our current blueline to acceptable levels. The biggest issues are obviously Scuderi being a fixture for life and DP's game weakening to the point where he can't even make the team. Either we messed up with the DP pick, or his development is going to take a while, I think it will turn out to be a wasted pick that will cost us. I was fine with this season being a transition season for the defense, but I don't see much help coming from inside the organization in the near future.

MJ isn't going to last 30 games in my opinion. I don't see how this team can possibly play the kind of hockey expected of them (whether or not those expectation are realistic). Lots of pressure with the ownership trying to sell the team, wouldn't be surprised if we make a shortsighted trade to bring in some immediate help on the blueline.

Why does it matter how good or bad Despres makes the D? That's like last year, "well, they still lose the series with Despres!"

Maybe, but who cares? They are a better team with Despres than with Lovejoy. Despres would be the 2nd-best player on defense right now. Lovejoy is 5th. That's not insignificant.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Even more than now? They have scored 3 goals in 3 games. It can't possibly get any worse than that. One would hope Martin is smart enough to change his systems to accomodate the makeup of the Pens' roster.

The worst thing to me is that everybody is trying to figure out what is wrong with Sid and Geno. It's just too big of a coincidence to me that both guys would fall off a cliff as players at the same time. The question is not what is wrong with them, the question is what is wrong with the whole damn organization.

At least with Martin we might hate the structure......but there would still be a structure. At least it would be enough to get back to a Disco-level mild playoff-caliber team.

As for the team, another thing I don't like about it is it has a total lack of character. Who are the bangers? Who are the diggers? Who are the infectious emotional players? Who is the thorn in the other team's side? We have none of these things. We have a bunch of hockey players of various skill levels. That's pretty much how I'd describe our team.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
nothing we bring up on this site will have any effect on anything.

The more you know.

It hurts me too but the horse is dead, we should stop beating it.

I miss the old IcedCapp who would do more than bang his shoe on the desk about that bad trade all day.

Let it go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Use the force. Let go Luke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2we_B6hDrY

Simon will always be with you, get back in the fight!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e686mVWXhY0

Sorry, I couldn't get these to embed properly

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah our defense will be terrible regardless of the coach but a good coach would at least get us scoring goals.

Pouliot having a bad camp basically ruined us. The Pens were counting on him to be able to play top 4 minutes.

God only knows why they would count on a 21 year old defenseman entering his first full season to play top 4 minutes.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'm not sure that boring, trap infested hockey would lead to less offense with this group. I'd much rather see Sid and Geno working counter attacks off neutral zone turnovers instead of woking breakouts started by this defense.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So it would have been better to keep losing the same way with Bylsma? Interesting... I'd love to hear more.

Actually, the guy who was right, in the way a broken clock is right twice a day, was Madden about 6 years ago, when he wrote an article (that quickly disappeared) saying Bylsma screwed the Pens by winning the cup and insuring that Sid and Geno wouldn't see the type of coaching they deserved for the long haul.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I've been a diehard fan since 89. I said last year, for the first time since 89, I'm losing a lot of interest in this team. Last night was the first game of the year I was able to watch in full. I was disgusted almost immediately.

The opening montage of rap music was horrific. Do they have a 15 year old in charge of this stuff?

Farnham is honestly not much. But, home opener,you'd think you'd want someone in your lineup that plays with some heart and emotion.

Upon seeing MJ's face, I remember what a geek he is.

Old, small, and soft is not a winning formula in any sport. The Pens management aren't 'trailblazers', ushering in a new era of finesse hockey. They're idiots that aren't living in the same reality as every other team in the league.

Whatever. Management, the coaches, and the players don't give two ***** about anything other than merchandise and sell outs, so neither do I.

Apart from actually letting Jimerson sing, that opening was only marginally less horrible than that pudgy wannabee centurion at the one senators game. Columbus is firing ****ing cannons inside their arena and we've got light shows inspired by the one discotheque in Slovakia that nobody goes to because it's lame.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You two are not alone. On a related note, I recently met a Nephrologist. When she told me that was her job title, I thought she meant PHRENologist and immediately thought of the Men at Work scene.

ask her about the size of Walt's *******

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Guys! I think things are going to be fine! Look at the pattern of goals scored in each game: 0, 1, 2. So by the end of the season, they'll clearly be scoring 82 goals in the last game!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to ride this unicorn over a rainbow!

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Not only is the team awful, it's also dreadfully boring to watch. The worst of both worlds, way to go Johnston!

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
God only knows why they would count on a 21 year old defenseman entering his first full season to play top 4 minutes.

Because last time they refused to give a young defenseman top 4 minutes it ended up burning them in the end :P

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I think part of our problem is we play defense first which doesn't work with this team. It should be offence first. Look at our goals per game and you'll see it.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I hope darryl Sutter gets fired and the pens hire him. That would make me sooooooo happy.

If there's one guy in the League that plays his best players on any given night, it's Sutter.

Beau's rolling? He's getting 22 minutes on the first line.

Sid not working with Kessel? Kessel would be on Geno's line in a heartbeat.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Guys! I think things are going to be fine! Look at the pattern of goals scored in each game: 0, 1, 2. So by the end of the season, they'll clearly be scoring 82 goals in the last game!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to ride this unicorn over a rainbow!
No, they'd score 81 in the last game since they started at 0. Head in the clouds.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Whoever is buying the team cant be viewing this as much of an investment. The team could very well be out of the playoff picture in a few years. I would hope their mindset is championship or bust and they'll clear house to do it.

Absolutely they are. Look at where franchise values have been going over the last 10 years since the cap came into effect. Forbes said that in 2005 Pittsburgh was worth 101 million, and that the purchase price for them was 107m. Today Forbes says they're worth 565m (Nov 2014), and that Mario and Burkle are asking for 750m.

And that doesn't take into account that (from my understanding) the team owns the land (dev rights?) where the Melon Arena was.

This team doesn't need to win a Stanley Cup to post yearly profits to increase their team value.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
You two are not alone. On a related note, I recently met a Nephrologist. When she told me that was her job title, I thought she meant PHRENologist and immediately thought of the Men at Work scene.
:laugh:

She was probably thinking "why is this guy smirking"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad