Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Well there you go. His ask was 8x8 mid week, Canes met it, Guentzel went to go to Tampa anyway. I can’t imagine the leak helped (or perhaps the leak was driven by his agent to get other teams to have the same reaction I did at the time, which was “damn, that’s all they’re asking for?”)

The Canes met it midweek. The question is when he originally asked for 8x8. If it was "a while ago" like Friedman claimed, then yeah, the Canes waiting until Thursday is a gigantic mistake.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think that's a big part of why we got a pick from Tampa here- as a payoff to not raise a stink with the league.
Yep, as I said "tell me this was tampering without telling me this was tampering". His agent absolutely used the media to get whatever ends up being the end cost up from what it was going to be. With our FO the financials of that usually won't get leaked until there's pen to paper.

Canes probably let the Tampa FO know they know exactly what's going on and will make this an issue, and that's what Tampa had to give up to make that go away.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Yep, as I said "tell me this was tampering without telling me this was tampering". His agent absolutely used the media to get whatever ends up being the end cost up from what it was going to be. With our FO the financials of that usually won't get leaked until there's pen to paper.

Canes probably let the Tampa FO know they know exactly what's going on and will make this an issue, and that's what Tampa had to give up to make that go away.
And Tampa is going to wait until 11:00 tomorrow morning to announce the signing to make it look they're actually negotiating and that the deal hasn't been agreed to since yesterday around noon.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Canes met it midweek. The question is when he originally asked for 8x8. If it was "a while ago" like Friedman claimed, then yeah, the Canes waiting until Thursday is a gigantic mistake.
It specifically said it was a “mid-week ask” and followed it up with: “The ask was 8X8 in the days before the draft.”

I get you want to portray it as a giant mistake, but Cory’s tweet doesn’t corroborate that.

Who knows for sure though, negotiations are fluid and not static lines in a sand like some seem to think.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If he wanted to be here, he'd be here
It's starting to look like very few in the league actually want to be here.

When we keep getting used like a $2 hooker to get what players actually want elsewhere, at what point do we take matters into our own hands and make a big trade to bring in someone who doesn't have a choice but to play here.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The one thing that I will say is that Tampa is getting significantly older by bringing in McDonagh and Guentzel and trading away Sergachev, Jeannot, and letting go of Stamkos. Jeannot didn't quite fit, but Sergachev is the one that I have real questions about them trading. Bringing back McDonagh made sense with Hedman and Sergachev, but dealing Sergachev means their entire defense is reliant on a 33 year old and a 35 year old. With how barren Tampa's farm system is from years of all-in pushes, there's not a lot of spots for Tampa to get cheap support or to reload their team's core. It feels like yet another Pittsburgh waiting to happen.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It specifically said it was a “mid-week ask” and followed it up with: “The ask was 8X8 in the days before the draft.”

I get you want to portray it as a giant mistake, but Cory’s tweet doesn’t corroborate that.

Who knows for sure though, negotiations are fluid and not static lines in a sand like some seem to think.

Again, all Cory's tweet said is that the ask was 8x8 in the days before the draft. It doesn't indicate how long that ask has been on the table.

If it was an ask that's been there for weeks and we waited until Thursday, then yeah, it's a giant mistake.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
It's starting to look like very few in the league actually want to be here.

When we keep getting used like a $2 hooker to get what players actually want elsewhere, at what point do we take matters into our own hands and make a big trade to bring in someone who doesn't have a choice but to play here.
We did ... then when his contract was up, we lowballed him and he went to New Jersey.

Reactions: Blueline Bomber

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2