Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wonder if JG is seeing all the other possible attrition from the team and rethinking how valuable his chemistry with Aho was? "I wanted to sign with the team CAR had LAST year. If that team is torn down like it looks like it may be, I may not want to be here"

This can’t be helping our case. Poor timing trying to add him this off season compared to any of the last few. We’re not trying replace a guy or two, we’re trying to replace or get back a third of the team at least.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
So first off it was reported back at the trade deadline that Jake wanted to test free agency.

I don't believe anything has changed from them till now. He didn't want to be traded but did his best here and tried to win a cup.

Secondly, Raleigh definitely is not a destination that most rich athletes want to reside in. Not to say we're boring but we don't have the brand name value of other locals. That's also why ESPN hates us in every sport we play not just Hockey.

I don't see this as a failure of the front office, they probably tried to sign him as best they could.

Now we can re-sign Necas and fill in our other two roster spots.

If Necas wanted 1st line minutes we'll now we have a spot for him on the first line to play.

I'm not terribly worried about getting more players but we are going to have to do this the hard way. That hasn't and won't change for us.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Rod's still 53. Player-coach?
I’m half joking but this is where I feel TD and Rod get each other. TD thinks he can GM and Rod still wishes he could play. He’s living vicariously through Staal. With our team they can resolve these issues together. TD actually gm’s sometimes and Rod beats the crap out of the team in the weight room.

Last edited:

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
With the lack of a Guentzel re-signing, we almost absolutely have to try and set Necas up for absolute success. With how difficult it is to acquire and keep high end talent, moving on from a homegrown talent with elite potential is crazy given how lacking we are up front. Gotta find a way to make lemonade with the lemons we have.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Optimistic take on the team, even if Guentzel doesn’t sign…

I think we’ll still bring in plenty of talent this offseason and won’t take as bad of a step back as many are expecting. Our team was a top 5 team pre Guentzel trade last year. I think we’ll end up similar to that level. Maybe a slight step back into maybe the top 6 or 7.

I think we’ll see big growth years from Svech & Jarvis that will propel us in the right direction. Aho will be Aho. Slavin gonna be Slavin. If KK is still here, I’m not shocked if he takes a big step back forward. I think we’ll be happy Orlov / Chatmandu as our 2nd pairing.
My guess is if we strike out on Guentzel, we make a hard push for Stamakos as a short term fill in of talent for 2-3 years.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I think we’ll still bring in plenty of talent this offseason and won’t take as bad of a step back as many are expecting. Our team was a top 5 team pre Guentzel trade last year. I think we’ll end up similar to that level. Maybe a slight step back into maybe the top 6 or 7.

I think we’ll see big growth years from Svech & Jarvis that will propel us in the right direction. Aho will be Aho. Slavin gonna be Slavin. If KK is still here, I’m not shocked if he takes a big step back forward. I think we’ll be happy Orlov / Chatmandu as our 2nd pairing.
My guess is if we strike out on Guentzel, we make a hard push for Stamakos as a short term fill in of talent for 2-3 years.
If we signed our rfa’s we aren’t really short any forwards. I think it opens up a spot for one guy but that’s it. We could probably make the playoff with that bunch as is if we figure out the d but that means we get Necas back and continue to flip flop Drury/Kuzy/Kk at center. This may be why we won’t make any panic moves. We don’t have to do anything but figure out the defense. I’m sure we’d like to do more.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Yea I think Stammer would be a good grab bc he's also still good at faceoffs (and Necas is not) so he could be a good backup. But we still need another top 6 W

Svech - Aho - Jarvis
Stammer - Necas - ???

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Guentzel signing is still a real possibility. It's not like, however, that the Canes don't have options if he chooses elsewhere, especially with both Stamkos and Marchessault potentially hitting the UFA market and how cheap it is at the moment to take on large cap hits. I'm not terribly worried about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CandyCanes

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Jarvis: 3 points shy of 70 this year despite playing a good chunk with Staal and playing with that injury all year. Only going to get better, and got Selke votes in his 3rd year as a small winger. Sky is the limit for a skill guy who plays a smart and responsible game like he does.

Svechnikov: Has scored at a 70 point pace the last three years despite not being fully healthy the past 2. Will be going into a summer where he can work on his game instead of focusing on rehab. If he never puts his game together in full we’ve got a 70 pt power forward, but we all know he’s got the tools to grow his game and hit another level or two.

Necas: Like the other two, unknown how high his ceiling is. We our it to ourselves to at least set him up as best we can to fully reach his potential before cutting ties.

Still would rather move on from KK given other possible moves, but this season was the lowest we’ll see from him and at his age bouncing back and hitting 2C production and play wouldn’t be unheard of in this league.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Other positive take is sounds like the Reinhart deal was a done deal as well in Florida. But that isn’t done either. So the door isn’t closed on Jake.

Also if we strike out on Guentzel. We got Rantanen or Draistl next offseason. (Doubt they actually make it to UFA), but if they do they can be our big long term core piece UFA splash.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They take Jake, we’ll take Steve?
the guy I see us after is Marchesault for the role TBH. Will still need a LW but I could easily see something like this after everything is said and done:

Svech - Aho - Necas
Zucker - Jarvis - Marchesault
Marty - Staal - Fast
Drury - Kuzy - Comtois/Lemieux

especially if KK is traded

wouldn't mind taking a run at Duclair and Foegele, try to get back to winning with sheer depth.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
the guy I see us after is Marchesault for the role TBH. Will still need a LW but I could easily see something like this after everything is said and done:

Svech - Aho - Necas
Marty - Staal - Fast

wouldn't mind taking a run at Duclair and Foegele, try to get back to winning with sheer depth.

I like this. This upcoming year would be a good year to try Jarvis at C this year. That’s the type of move if it works out, pays huge dividends because we now have our top 2 centers locked up for the next likely 6-7 years. If we can’t lock up key UFA’s, this is the year I hope we experiment with things like Jarvis at center and prospects getting longer shots in the NHL.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t know if we need that big time ufa. I think we had the right idea in the first place. Acquiring guys with term, not chasing ufa’s or rentals. Just build a solid and deep team that isn’t too reliant on individual players. Keep drafting well enough. Make the right moves when they’re there instead of forcing. The Guentzel thing, presuming he’s gone just shows how frustrating and expensive building a team that way is. We need to get a little lucky with the drafting again. Some top six and top four guys have to arrive. The core of Slavin and Aho was never going to be enough. We’re going to win through depth not star power. Just my $.02.

Last edited:

User13452

Jan 7, 2022

Svech - Aho - Necas
Marty - Staal - Fast

Still a top 6 forward short here wouldn’t be relying on zucker to be a top 6 guy anymore. Definitely don’t see Rod using kuzy as a 4th line centre either.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Svech - Aho - Necas
Marty - Staal - Fast

That forward group would get absolutely abused in playoffs...Zucker is not a top 6 W either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad