Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The "the Hurricanes met Guentzel's asking price" is weird to me. Under Dundon the front office has split players into two camps,. For one they seem perfectly reasonable negotiators (Slavin, Svech, Jarvis, Aho's second extension) and the other they seem to not negotiate at all, just give take-it-or-leave-it and not care at all when the players mostly leave it.

We're at a huge info deficit so we can only speculate, but that makes me think this was leaked by Guentzel's camp, and Guentzel is trying to get other teams to pony up. I know people get frustrated by this, but hey, I take it to mean you're a good team that other clubs will see as a threat. No one was using Arizona as a cudgel now, where they?

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Quite frankly if he does go elsewhere after we were willing to pay what he wanted, the front office needs to realize they f***ed up. You can't always be cute thinking you're going to squeeze everyone for maximum value and attract elite level talent. Either you play the f***ing game like everyone else in FA or you make a legitimate big trade for an elite player with term. Maybe we do end up getting him, but I'm tired of this front office getting played by agents who just don't respect their crap.

At this point I'm just glad I don't have season tickets anymore. It's not going to be worth the cost going forward
Barring a great free agent signing post 7/1, you are probably right.

Next year will be down versus TY ( right now I don’t see us SC contenders) but with tickets already sold ownership is sitting pretty. I suspect they figure they’ll get an attendance bump again when the Ru holy grail comes to town the following year.

I suspect that if our roster was not in a state of flux Guentzel would join us even if Tampa etc was slightly higher tax considered.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Quite frankly if he does go elsewhere after we were willing to pay what he wanted, the front office needs to realize they f***ed up. You can't always be cute thinking you're going to squeeze everyone for maximum value and attract elite level talent. Either you play the f***ing game like everyone else in FA or you make a legitimate big trade for an elite player with term. Maybe we do end up getting him, but I'm tired of this front office getting played by agents who just don't respect their crap.

At this point I'm just glad I don't have season tickets anymore. It's not going to be worth the cost going forward
Not sure how you can twist this as an issue on the front office. We met his ask and now he doesn't want to sign with us. That's on Guentzel, not the front office.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Maybe I’m just not a shrewd businessman but I’m having a hard time understanding the takes of “we gave him what he wanted and he went elsewhere, we screwed ourselves”

It may be hard to understand, but what you’re not considering is that many people on these boards have jumped the shark.

March: “this damn front office never goes all in at the deadline and it’s the reason the team never wins.”

“But what if Guentzel doesn’t sign?”

“Gotta pay even for rentals, gotta take the risk.”

June: “we offered Guentzel what he asked for but he wants to go elsewhere.”

“Congrats idiots, you played yourselves. This is the reason the team never wins.”

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Maybe I’m just not a shrewd businessman but I’m having a hard time understanding the takes of “we gave him what he wanted and he went elsewhere, we screwed ourselves”
If we had just said yes to his ask a month ago, would he have gone this far or would he just have signed happily?

Nothing is certain, but I think there's a very real chance that he would have signed on the dotted line. The fact that we had to be dragged kicking and screaming to what's ultimately looking like it won't be a totally an outrageous number gave other teams time to swoop in and make their pitches.

But the other side is that Guentzel has a huge decision to make for his future, and if more than one team is willing to pay that money, he has to decide where he wants to live and work for the next decade of his life.

Could the front office have made the process less painful for him and would that have affected his thinking? Maybe. But this may or may not be about them at all.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Guentzel's not some otherworldly fit on this roster. Very good? Sure. However, he was on the ice for that 0% net PP against the Rangers.

The difference between even 20% and the 14.9% the team has been under Rod in the playoffs is 13 goals over 78 games. It's a narrow margin sport and it has cost them dearly.

News flash: Every player on the team currently was on the ice for that 0% PP. Our PP has been shit for years now. If we're going to let everyone go who can't fix it, we'll have no one left.

Now who is going to score all those empty net goals for us???!!

Did we trade Svech when I wasn't looking?

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
If we had just said yes to his ask a month ago, would he have gone this far or would he just have signed happily?

Nothing is certain, but I think there's a very real chance that he would have signed on the dotted line. The fact that we had to be dragged kicking and screaming to what's ultimately looking like it won't be a totally an outrageous number gave other teams time to swoop in and make their pitches.

But the other side is that Guentzel has a huge decision to make for his future, and if more than one team is willing to pay that money, he has to decide where he wants to live and work for the next decade of his life.

Could the front office have made the process less painful for him and would that have affected his thinking? Maybe. But this may or may not be about them at all.
Who’s to say his ask wasn’t 9x8 a month ago and it only dropped recently because he wasn’t hearing he’d get something comparable on the open market?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
News flash: Every player on the team currently was on the ice for that 0% PP. Our PP has been shit for years now. If we're going to let everyone go who can't fix it, we'll have no one left.

Did we trade Svech when I wasn't looking?

That is true. So, Aho/Svechnikov/Jarvis, the guys that aren't going anywhere, need meaningful help to take that step with the man advantage. Guentzel, with a massive contract and NMC, makes getting them that very difficult.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Saw the updated thread title and the discussion on the last page figuring there was an actual update

Kel9Ap.gif

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Saw the updated thread title and the discussion on the last page figuring there was an actual update

Kel9Ap.gif
I mean there prettymuch was, suddenly today Tampa moves out a shitload of salary for nothing and the Friedman rumor is that they're heavily involved for Guentzel out of nowhere.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That is true. So, Aho/Svechnikov/Jarvis, the guys that aren't going anywhere, need meaningful help to take that step with the man advantage. Guentzel, with a massive contract and NMC, makes getting them that very difficult.

Or you recognize that the only thing that correlates to success on the PP is to have guys that can put the pucks in the net on the PP. And Jake is one of those guys.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
It may be hard to understand, but what you’re not considering is that many people on these boards have jumped the shark.

March: “this damn front office never goes all in at the deadline and it’s the reason the team never wins.”

“But what if Guentzel doesn’t sign?”

“Gotta pay even for rentals, gotta take the risk.”

June: “we offered Guentzel what he asked for but he wants to go elsewhere.”

“Congrats idiots, you played yourselves. This is the reason the team never wins.”
It really comes down to whether you think he’s a good fit or not. Personally I do, and I think it’s worth spending the money to keep him here. It felt like the trade for him was the step to setting the roster forward to a true competitor and the thought of losing that is a bit demoralizing. With that said, they shouldn’t have waited until the 11th hour to meet his demands because it may have made him a bit ticked off and other teams will smell the blood in the water. Now that we’re right on the draft with peak trade opportunities, other teams are in primetime to set their roster up to make an opening for him and make their team look like an attractive destination (roster spot + cap space). Personally my complaint is that they let it get this tight to the deadline opening ourselves up for this opportunity from other teams. But it’s fair if you or others aren’t as optimistic about his potential and you don’t feel like it’s a big deal to let him go.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Or you recognize that the only thing that correlates to success on the PP is to have guys that can put the pucks in the net on the PP. And Jake is one of those guys.

He played a slot role. For him to finish, the guys on the perimeter have to get him the puck effectively. They didn’t. He had just 3 PP shots in those 6 games against New York.

Reactions: Tryamw

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It really comes down to whether you think he’s a good fit or not. Personally I do, and I think it’s worth spending the money to keep him here. It felt like the trade for him was the step to setting the roster forward to a true competitor and the thought of losing that is a bit demoralizing. With that said, they shouldn’t have waited until the 11th hour to meet his demands because it may have made him a bit ticked off and other teams will smell the blood in the water. Now that we’re right on the draft with peak trade opportunities, other teams are in primetime to set their roster up to make an opening for him and make their team look like an attractive destination (roster spot + cap space). Personally my complaint is that they let it get this tight to the deadline opening ourselves up for this opportunity from other teams. But it’s fair if you or others aren’t as optimistic about his potential and you don’t feel like it’s a big deal to let him go.

I think the notion of “we lost him because we waited too long to give him exactly what he asked for” is the biggest doomcast-y spin on the very limited info we have on the situation and jumping immediately to that conclusion is an indication that one is just upset that we aren’t getting him and is looking to villify someone for it.

The funny thing is I thought 8x8 was a ridiculously low number and it doesn’t surprise me at all that he’d go out and want more than that. The most unbelievable part about it, in my opinion, was that that was all he was asking for. Which tells me the reality isn’t fully matching up with the rumors, at least not yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad