Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wasn't that Guentzel's initial ask?

UFA's can talk to teams since last Monday, so Carolina saying they have met his ask before he talked with other teams really isn't saying much.
IIRC they changed that, but we know that's happening anyway. I'd f***ing LOVE to see Tampa get smacked for tampering on this but we all know the league won't do shit about it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I thought there was an update to CBA in recent MOU or otherwise that eliminated the pre UFA contact timeframe? Am I having a senior moment?
No, Mr. President, at least that you got correct.

Reactions: cptjeff

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
Why is it douche-y?

He’s earned the right to go where he wants. The Canes had plenty of time to meet his ask weeks ago.
I would tell a team to give me your best offer and I will weigh my options. I wouldn't tell a team a number then when they agree say I will think about it. That is not the way to do business in my opinion.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Don’t hate the player, hate the game. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he signs. Always seemed a bit of a longshot anyway. And I’ll have the offseason to get over it either way.
I'm more concerned that this FO is going to take it as an object lesson and not go after the next big acquisition that could have a long-term impact for us, because of an expiring contract.

I mean he didn't cost us anything we couldn't afford to lose.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I'm more concerned that this FO is going to take it as an object lesson and not go after the next big acquisition that could have a long-term impact for us, because of an expiring contract.

I mean he didn't cost us anything we couldn't afford to lose.

Well, it certainly adds to our own narrative that we get used by agents/GMs as a stalking horse for deals elsewhere.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
May be some time for some introspection if it doesn't work out with the test drives or others who simply say pass. Are the tactics employed, negotiation approaches, valuations..just not worth the hassle if the road to a deal is easier elsewhere?

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
depends on what happens in UFA. If someone comes along and gives Necas a 2 year offre hostile taking him right up to UFA, yeah that's major f***ing trouble.
Isnt the offer sheet for necas like craxy high in picks? 2x first a second and a third? I mean at that point for 2 years? Yeah take him,

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Well, it certainly adds to our own narrative that we get used by agents/GMs as a stalking horse for deals elsewhere.

I mean that's what an agent should do. We can avoid this if we negotiated extensions or trade players that won't sign during the season (I know wouldn't have helped with JG).

Hamilton, Trochek, Skjei, Pesce, now JG. You could field a playoff team with the players we've let leave since GM committee has been here.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I gotta say, this always the bridesmaid never the bride is getting tiring, even if it's not our fault and just players. It's more exhausting hearing how we were basically signing our names on Tkachuk, Meier, Marchmant, Guentz, etc only to have the paper ripped away before the ink dries than it is just not being in the running at all. That's why TDL was such a big win to me, it felt like maybe we finally got over that hump

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I gotta say, this always the bridesmaid never the bride is getting tiring, even if it's not our fault and just players. It's more exhausting hearing how we were basically signing our names on Tkachuk, Meier, Marchmant, Guentz, etc only to have the paper ripped away before the ink dries than it is just not being in the running at all. That's why TDL was such a big win to me, it felt like maybe we finally got over that hump

IMO once Necas leaves we won't have to worry about competing for those trades for a bit.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Isnt the offer sheet for necas like craxy high in picks? 2x first a second and a third? I mean at that point for 2 years? Yeah take him,
no the OS is a per year thing up to the first 5 years. I can seriously see someone doing an offer sheet to us at the high end of the 1st-3rd range for 2 years at Necas's agents design knowing that even if we do match, he's f***ing gone anyway in 2 years.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Quite frankly if he does go elsewhere after we were willing to pay what he wanted, the front office needs to realize they f***ed up. You can't always be cute thinking you're going to squeeze everyone for maximum value and attract elite level talent. Either you play the f***ing game like everyone else in FA or you make a legitimate big trade for an elite player with term. Maybe we do end up getting him, but I'm tired of this front office getting played by agents who just don't respect their crap.

At this point I'm just glad I don't have season tickets anymore. It's not going to be worth the cost going forward

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If we matched what he wanted, but decides to hit FA to Tampa or something, I am just going to say I wont be mad if Svech hits him harder that he hit Hampus every time we play.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2