Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
I would be shocked and can't imagine any possibility. It appears we are building around our 07 and 08's and could be contending next year with Luchanko.
However if there is a strong possibility he will not return next year he could be moved at the deadline with an offer they can't refuse ie 07 and or 08 and picks.
At this point I am not sure London has the ideal pieces in my opinion.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
It’s 2 weeks until training camp start and we still haven’t seen any indication of the direction the team is going with overagers. We have 7 possibilities and I would think Budnick and Namestikov are a lock. That leaves McGuire, Karabella, Grudner, Vecci and Crane to fight for the last spot.

Some teams have already released or traded some overage candidates but Guelph has been radio silence.

Karabella’s status is dependent on his tryout with Dallas and whether they send him to the minors. If he’s available I would think he’d be the third.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
I am hoping Karabella. Would expect him to have a big year. The West is wide open this year with a few teams rebuilding and some big dogs graduating and or moving East. Our goaltending should be strong although there doesn't seem to be much love on these boards for Gillespie. His numbers were at or near the top the first half of last year in his first year as the number 1.
With this not being a go for it year we need to make some deals at the deadline with the next couple of years in mind. We have 4 or 5 players who should be attractive to the buyers.
Can't wait for the training camp and season to start.
I see Frossard is listed on Youngstown's pre season roster.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Our goaltending should be strong although there doesn't seem to be much love on these boards for Gillespie. His numbers were at or near the top the first half of last year in his first year as the number 1.
Gillespie I expect to have even better numbers this year. Great for you guys that he is 19 and will be back for Beauchesne a dy+1. Luchankos dy+2, Allen’s probable OA year and Maclean’s dy
Not this year but next year maybe you guys make a lot a of noise in the west

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Gillespie I expect to have even better numbers this year. Great for you guys that he is 19 and will be back for Beauchesne a dy+1. Luchankos dy+2, Allen’s probable OA year and Maclean’s dy
Not this year but next year maybe you guys make a lot a of noise in the west
Allen signed a contract I’d be surprised if he’s back

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Allen signed a contract I’d be surprised if he’s back
Forgot about that. Needs a big year to prove it to Washington

Rest of guys look like they have a great future though. Do you think snelgrove, McFadden and singh have breakout years this year? Just saw about Singh on EP I guess he is a 2026 draft year guy because of the late birthday. For the 2025-2026 season I assume he should be pretty good then?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Rest of guys look like they have a great future though. Do you think snelgrove, McFadden and singh have breakout years this year? Just saw about Singh on EP I guess he is a 2026 draft year guy because of the late birthday. For the 2025-2026 season I assume he should be pretty good then?
They had a very good 07 draft

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

I was really impressed with Singh and McFadden last year, I definitely could see them breaking out. That was a really solid draft year for Guelph behind Beauchesne. I think because of that, they could step up and support a Championship run in 2025-26 in Luchanko's final year.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
re: OA's, I would be very surprised if it's not Budnick, Namestnikov and Karabela. They are likely waiting to see if either of the latter two are offered pro contracts before solidifying the 3.

I imagine Crane could get a return on trade as well as McGuire, Veccia will likely end up in the OUA.

I don't think there was a lack of love for Gillespie on these boards, more a desire to see more of Slavik and lighten Gillespie's load. Not a knock on him but just good asset management. Which will hopefully be the case under the new coaching staff!

Edited to add: Any knock I had related to Gillespie last season was on leaving him in way too long on off nights, and that was a knock on Wiseman not Gillespie.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I imagine Crane could get a return on trade as well as McGuire, Veccia will likely end up in the OUA.
Crane definitely should get something. Wow that’s surprising to me about veccia wow he was doing well with Mississauga last year but then fell off the face of the earth. Thought if anything for him he would ask for a trade out or something- not go to the OUA and quit OHL hockey

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Crane definitely should get something. Wow that’s surprising to me about veccia wow he was doing well with Mississauga last year but then fell off the face of the earth. Thought if anything for him he would ask for a trade out or something- not go to the OUA and quit OHL hockey

I am going based off what I saw of him in Guelph... he did not seem to have much of a GAF meter, a lot of mistakes and 7 points in 23 games. I'm sure if someone signs him in the OHL they'll take it, but with limited OA spots the competition is tough.

The thing he has going for him is that he is a righty, Guelph looks weak on the right side for forwards as of the opening roster, but that could be remedied through trade/upgrade. I'm hoping Serlin has a big year.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
re: OA's, I would be very surprised if it's not Budnick, Namestnikov and Karabela. They are likely waiting to see if either of the latter two are offered pro contracts before solidifying the 3.

I don't think there was a lack of love for Gillespie on these boards, more a desire to see more of Slavik and lighten Gillespie's load. Not a knock on him but just good asset management. Which will hopefully be the case under the new coaching staff!

Edited to add: Any knock I had related to Gillespie last season was on leaving him in way too long on off nights, and that was a knock on Wiseman not Gillespie.

Sorry i was referring to recent posts from other boards discussing goaltenders where his name is never mentioned. He carried the team most of the year with our lack of offense and scoring. That being said I am happy with the two new signings.
I too thought Slavik should have played more especially later in the year. I was surprised that he did not return. If there wasn't a
trade market for him it may have been due to his lack of playing time as tall goaltenders are in demand.
With the number of OA's available I am not confident there is market for our guys. However McGuire is a far better option with more talent than Boulton had last year if that is what you are looking for. I will miss his effort along with the banging and crashing.

Reactions: StormWatcher

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
The trades are flying with a load of picks and players exchanging teams, yet Guelph has remained silent. Even with 7 potential overagers and possibly some players fighting for roster spots, you'd think we would have something someone wants to restock our pick cupboard or even a player better suited than some we have.

I'm really surprised at the the lack of activity.

tech7817

Sep 29, 2019
I think this team is better than most will expect, with Stillman behind the bench and the energy we’ve seen so far it will be fun to watch. McLean is already looking dangerous and the team is playing with more edge than last year
I'd say it was good to see Fitzgerald and McLean battle it out again after last years PBO BAR OMHA final, but Fitzgerald was out of the OMHA final. Both are going to be very, very good.

StormSound

Feb 12, 2024
Agree about Beauchesne and Singh. They play a similar style and compliment each other well. Overall the blueline looks strong. Jovanovski has also been impressive in the crease. Excited to see how the final roster looks.

They are young, but I think they will compete.

Reactions: MidwestStorm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad