No other Storm players ranked.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Central Scouting Rankings - North American Skaters

#21. Ryan Merkely

#59. Cam Hillis

No other Storm players ranked.
Merkley is as smooth a skater and stick handler as any player in the league past or present. He just has an immature aspect to his game as witnessed in Kitchener when he broke his stick in two after the fourth Kitchener goal as if to blame his line mates. One time during the play in the Storm end he was out at the blue line like a forward waiting for a break out pass. He would never get away with what he does in pro hockey. Him and Smith bumped heads a couple of times. Guess Smitty was trying to press his buttons. Merkley is similar to Ryan Murphy in that he can carry a puck through the whole opposing team and pick up points but defensively is a bust. Kid has potential but somewhere a coach has to get him to look after his own end.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
A little early for this but leaving for St Lucia Wednesday. (I love retirement!)

Guelph 5
Flint 3
Ratcliffe

Guelph 4
OS 3
Ratcliffe

Guelph 5
London 4
Hillis

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Merkley is as smooth a skater and stick handler as any player in the league past or present. He just has an immature aspect to his game as witnessed in Kitchener when he broke his stick in two after the fourth Kitchener goal as if to blame his line mates. One time during the play in the Storm end he was out at the blue line like a forward waiting for a break out pass. He would never get away with what he does in pro hockey. Him and Smith bumped heads a couple of times. Guess Smitty was trying to press his buttons. Merkley is similar to Ryan Murphy in that he can carry a puck through the whole opposing team and pick up points but defensively is a bust. Kid has potential but somewhere a coach has to get him to look after his own end.
he ees center camarade... mek heem center.. get goood coaches ..mgmt.. ... like SSM... nostrovia!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
It's all Ukrainian to me storm surge! First I thought you were from the Planet Janis but I get it now;)
SSM has 8 or 9 first year players.....HMMMM eh?......we have a few good ones but this team is goin nowhere ...fast.........next year I hope things are really re arranged and re booted...

Dakotawarmth

Jan 20, 2018
Having watched Merkly for more than a few years - I would suggest he stop reading his press clipping and find the way behind his own blue line. Game in : game out the imaturity reveals itself. Can this change ?
This has absolutely reflected on his ranking and lest he pull up his socks it will continue.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
SSM has 8 or 9 first year players.....HMMMM eh?......we have a few good ones but this team is goin nowhere ...fast.........next year I hope things are really re arranged and re booted...
Personally I think the Storm will be one of the top teams in the league either next season or the one after.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Having watched Merkly for more than a few years - I would suggest he stop reading his press clipping and find the way behind his own blue line. Game in : game out the imaturity reveals itself. Can this change ?
This has absolutely reflected on his ranking and lest he pull up his socks it will continue.
We had Ryan Murphy here in Kitchener a few years back. Similar player with speed to burn but I find he wasn't handled properly and the team never really got to take advantage of his years in the OHL. I think watching Merkley he is even more offensive minded than Murphy was and seems to be one of those players that marches to the beat of a distant drummer. Sometimes a leopard just can't change his spots. Murphy had the speed and skill to play in the NHL but just would not play a defensive roll and that won't cut it in pro.

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Merk; has neither the mind nor capacity of a solid D..HALL was a better D.... Merk is a wild card..fantastic skill but again.. if I saw him comin up ice with puck with 2 REAL big skilled D covering his butt.. it would be really scary..as is he's pick off vulnerable and his mates haven't a clue whats comin next..call him cha cha..one step forward ana 2 steps back...that is not a prescription for a championship team... wish you well though Merk..

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
TOTAL (44GP)
battfan88817
RCS33
Stormfan8727
TrueBlueStorm27
Stormdude30
StorminNorman30
geo10520
noobie111
Chico Maki34
Stormforthewin21
StormWatcher32
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Merkley played a much better defensive game tonite. I think knowing there were many skilled players around him gave him the opportunity to concentrate on the defensive part of his game. He did venture down the ice a few times but beat his ass back to the defensive end. Maybe having Cherry talking to him made him realize that yes he is offensive, but his role is defense Looking forward to tomorrow to see if he can continue what he has learned the last few days.

Guelph 5-1 Merkley
Guelph 4-2 Hillis
Guelph 3-1 Ralph

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
Fri. Jan 26
Guelph - 5
Flint - 2
GWG - McEwen

Sat. Jan 27
Guelph - 5
OS - 3
GWG - Schnarr

Sun Jan 28
London - 5
Guelph - 3
GWG - Bouchard

EastviewoftheStorm

Dec 2, 2017
Really enjoyed the end of the game. First two periods were slow, but there were not as many "head-back, eyes-staring at the rafters" defensive plays. I'm still on the fence about how good Primeau, but I'm putting him as a better forward than bertuzzi.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Really enjoyed the end of the game. First two periods were slow, but there were not as many "head-back, eyes-staring at the rafters" defensive plays. I'm still on the fence about how good Primeau, but I'm putting him as a better forward than bertuzzi.
I se great stuff ahead for Primeau..Berts gonna be a big fella.. good as well..some solid futures ahead ..Hawel.. #28....course this mgm't is quite capable of shootin itself in the foot..agree on #6 tonight...hope topper pops a few.. he tries hard every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad