Recalled/Assigned: Gryba, Grant and Dziurzynski

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who ever said DD could play top 6 ... my guess is he plays on the 4th line likely along with Grant.

Not me personally but there were some on here who were arguing back in October that he had the potential to play 2nd line minutes.. I argued saying there probably was no chance in hell that he'd ever be a second liner. Unless of course we were ravaged by injuries.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not me personally but there were some on here who were arguing back in October that he had the potential to play 2nd line minutes.. I argued saying there probably was no chance in hell that he'd ever be a second liner. Unless of course we were ravaged by injuries.

A lot of people said Smith would never play on the 2nd line too so we just never know what could happen, hell we have seen Daugavins on the 2nd line & Condra on the first. DD brings a big physical presence, he is a decent skater & can work the boards or corners or stand in front of the net. We're just not sure if he can cut it in the NHL but this is his opportunity to prove us wrong & I hope he does.

While most only want to see elite or skilled players in the top six a lot of coaches will put a big tough guy with too skilled players for protection & to do the dirty work. Greening is a perfect example of that as is Neil & Smith. DD could be too but I think we will see him on the 4th line with limited minutes unless he has a couple of good shifts, then he could get more than that. I hope all three have a great debut.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A lot of people said Smith would never play on the 2nd line too so we just never know what could happen, hell we have seen Daugavins on the 2nd line & Condra on the first. DD brings a big physical presence, he is a decent skater & can work the boards or corners or stand in front of the net. We're just not sure if he can cut it in the NHL but this is his opportunity to prove us wrong & I hope he does.

While most only want to see elite or skilled players in the top six a lot of coaches will put a big tough guy with too skilled players for protection & to do the dirty work. Greening is a perfect example of that as is Neil & Smith. DD could be too but I think we will see him on the 4th line with limited minutes unless he has a couple of good shifts, then he could get more than that. I hope all three have a great debut.

Like I said with exception to injury Smith is usually a 3rd line centre. The poster back in October was suggesting DD could be a consistent 2nd liner. As in playing top 6 regularly and successfully without being placed there due to injuries.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Of the three callups last night they all showed some good things. They had their troubles too.

Gryba's full speed skating and willingness to hit was welcome. He needs serious work on his lateral mobility, the quickness of his stops and starts and his puckhandling. If he does those things he could be a valuable 3rd pairing D. As it stands now he will be shredded by even decent NHL players.

Dziurzynski's skating is brutal for the NHL level (at least as it appeared last night). He falls down spontaneously, has next to no lateral quickness and his top speed is about average. HIs pucks skills are on par with Colton Orr if last night is any indicator. He clearly knows what his strengths are; he is defensively aware, plays north-south (probably because he literally can't move laterally) and will hit. I think he's a 13th forward, at best, on a good NHL squad.

Derek Grant toe-picked and launched his face into the boards in the laughable sequence leading to the first goal. After that he was solid. He has nice skating for a guy his size, can handle the puck and has some decent instincts (certainly a good sign in his first game in the show). He has, IMO, all the tools to be an NHL player. In a few years I could see 30-35 point, good checking center in this guy.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
They were all OK. DD was my fave. Grant was good, but needs to use his size more. Gryba needs to work on his skating but brings a nice presence back there.
Wow! I saw the game today and on Saturday and I think he skates better than Phillips, Lundin. Benoit and has way more mobility(backwards laterally) than Wiercioch. Can only remember once where somebody got around him and that was today when he took the holding penalty. Maybe I need to clean my glasses. Remember the guy is 6 4 and the big guys never look quick.

DD played agressively but needs to find the seams to get scoring chances.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This can only be good for the organization to give these guys some NHL games. Let them see what it's like to play in front of 20,000 people in an arena that loves you & in an arena with 20,000 people that hate you. These three add size, toughness & strength which some people (including me) were saying Ottawa doesn't have enough of. They won't be here all yr, we know that, but so far they have showed well & the organization & their fans & the NHL now know that Ottawa has some very good young depth coming soon to an arena near you. At the very least, with these guys in the lineup Ottawa is not going to get run out of an building.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Wow! I saw the game today and on Saturday and I think he skates better than Phillips, Lundin. Benoit and has way more mobility(backwards laterally) than Wiercioch. Can only remember once where somebody got around him and that was today when he took the holding penalty. Maybe I need to clean my glasses. Remember the guy is 6 4 and the big guys never look quick.

Grybas skating is fine. The holding call was weak. He should be staying in.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

While I agree there is nothing glaringly wrong with Gryba's skating, I don't think he skates better than any of the players you mentioned.

I like Gryba, was one of the few that thought he should have got the call up instead of Boro, but I see no point in overselling the guy.

He is exactly what the Sens need, a big strong, smart and safe player.

The Sens D is much more imposing with him. I look forward to seeing Cowen, Methot, Gryba, Weircoich, Karlsson, Phillips and hopefully Boro next year.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
yip, gryba has been fine.

grant has been ok to invisible. dd has been meh.

once (if) regin comes back i'd like to see grant and dd go back to ahl. zib, greening, regin offer a bit more than either of the two.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I know it's only been two games, but I've been really impressed with Gryba for the role he plays. I think he'll make a solid #5-6 defenseman down the road for us.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Have to agree he's looked good for a two game stint. Loved the honesty when he talked about getting lost in Torontro getting from the dressing room to the ice. He could fill a need for us as he develops and adds another name to the mix of who will be with us next year.

IF the reality of ROR is true (Garrioch) then one of the four development D's could be in play.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Have to agree he's looked good for a two game stint. Loved the honesty when he talked about getting lost in Torontro getting from the dressing room to the ice. He could fill a need for us as he develops and adds another name to the mix of who will be with us next year.

IF the reality of ROR is true (Garrioch) then one of the four development D's could be in play

Wait, did I miss something?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Wait, did I miss something?

Newspaper today (http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/18/avs-oreilly-on-sens-radar). Avs looking for roster player, prospect and a pick. Someone yesterday was indicating Michalek was a trade target so I assume would be a piece under discussion with this.

Michalek, Wiercioch (played University of Denver), 1st would be a strong offer I think to get him. I'd hate to give our 1st, but Avs would love to get 2 in the Top 10 this draft I'm sure.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Newspaper today. Avs looking for roster player, prospect and a pick. Someone yesterday was indicating Michalek was a trade target so I assume would be a piece under discussion with this.

Michalek, Wiercioch (played University of Denver), 1st would be a strong offer I think to get him. I'd hate to give our 1st, but Avs would love to get 2 in the Top 10 this draft I'm sure.

cFUQU.gif

That's enough to get two Ryan O'Reilly's. Michalek, a possible lottery pick, and Wiercioch?

Wowza. I'm tapping out of the RoR sweepstakes if the bidding gets even CLOSE to that much.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
cFUQU.gif

That's enough to get two Ryan O'Reilly's. Michalek, a possible lottery pick, and Wiercioch?

Wowza. I'm tapping out of the RoR sweepstakes if the bidding gets even CLOSE to that much.

Have to agree; Avs just want the farm. Michalek and Bishop I might think about, but even that is a stretch given Michalek would be their top 6 plug-in to replace ROR

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think that would be the asking price anyway. Michalek alone was just as productive, is still young, and is a good two way player.

I would say these are two of the more likely packages:

Mika Zibanejad + Patrick Wierchioch + 3rd 2012

or

1st 2012 + Patrick Wierchioch + 3rd 2012

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
cFUQU.gif

The absolute most I'd hope Murray would offer for O'Reilly would be Zibanejad and either a roster player (think Greening) or a pick (probably a 2nd) next year. If the Avs are asking for more then Murray should tell them to pound salt.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think that would be the asking price anyway. Michalek alone was just as productive, is still young, and is a good two way player.

I would say these are two of the more likely packages:

Mika Zibanejad + Patrick Wierchioch + 3rd 2012

or

1st 2012 + Patrick Wierchioch + 3rd 2012

why? just sign to an offer sheet if you are willing to move those pieces.

trading michalek for ror is a one step forward two steps back move for us. we can't move any top 6 guys.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why even flip Ziba+ for ROR? Is it that difficult to wait for Ziba to develop. I think Colorado wins that trade.

Because O'Reilly already is what we hope Zibanejad might one day become? Plus he's only 22 and has more upside still. Zibanejad is far from a sure thing and is a major project considering all his developmental humps.

trading michalek for ror is a one step forward two steps back move for us. we can't move any top 6 guys.

Rumors are that O'Reilly isn't signing any offer sheets because he's worried that Colorado will match. Just a rumour though that has been filtering through the boards. He really wants out of Colorado.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007

Agreed, it's lateral at best to include Michalek in a trade for O'Reilly IMO. Especially with our situation on the wing.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Rumors are that O'Reilly isn't signing any offer sheets because he's worried that Colorado will match. Just a rumour though that has been filtering through the boards. He really wants out of Colorado.

so offer the 1st and 3rd then. btw, i wouldn't do that either. there are two things that are untouchable to me. karlsson and our 2013 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad