Kings News: Grundstrom Traded to SJ for Kyle Burroughs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Since Clarke is a legit PMD and Drew thrives with that type of partner, I wonder if they’d pair BC-DD. I mean they have toyed around with Clarke playing his off side before
Edit..
Clarke - Doughty
Gavrikov - Spence
Anderson - Burroughs for the shutdown pairing

Reactions: CanadianKingsFan19

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Time to bring out this old chestnut....

PowersBoothWellBye.jpg

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Judging by some reactions, it seems as though the Kings lost a valuable asset in Carl Grundstrom.

People have been clamoring for the Kings to rid themselves of deadweight and make room for the kids. They re-signed a bunch of them recently and seem to be on that path, but we still see smatterings of people bickering about the Kings getting rid of dead weight.

So what the hell should they be doing? And this is coming from someone who is indifferent about this management group.
Getting rid of deadweight without acquiring more deadweight in the process.

Reactions: tigermask48

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Judging by some reactions, it seems as though the Kings lost a valuable asset in Carl Grundstrom.

People have been clamoring for the Kings to rid themselves of deadweight and make room for the kids. They re-signed a bunch of them recently and seem to be on that path, but we still see smatterings of people bickering about the Kings getting rid of dead weight.

So what the hell should they be doing? And this is coming from someone who is indifferent about this management group.
I think that people are skeptical of this because it will block Clarke or Spence from playing or it means one is getting traded for another veteran to play beside Kopitar or Doughty. A month into the season theyll realize it didnt work and theyll move Byfield and Anderson back to their spots and be saddled with another high dollar contract on the wrong side of 30 without a clear cut role on the team.
Otherwise I dont mind the deal as far as player for player.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Remember Gavrikov will be a UFA next year. Same with Englund.

At the end of next summer the only Kings D under contract will be Doughty, Anderson, Clarke, Spence (assuming he is re-signed shortly), and Burroughs.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think that people are skeptical of this because it will block Clarke or Spence from playing or it means one is getting traded for another veteran to play beside Kopitar or Doughty. A month into the season theyll realize it didnt work and theyll move Byfield and Anderson back to their spots and be saddled with another high dollar contract on the wrong side of 30 without a clear cut role on the team.
Otherwise I dont mind the deal as far as player for player.

Anyone who thinks that is thinking way too much into the acquisition of a depth player who actually could serve a need given they don't have many spare dmen who are right handed.

This really is not the trade to overreact over.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
As the last piece of the Muzzin trade left in LA. Does this mean we moved Muzzin for Burroughs? :sarcasm:

Edit:
Grundstrum -> Burroughs
Durzi -> 2nd (traded for PLD)
1st (Bjornfot) -> lost to waivers

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Anyone who thinks that is thinking way too much into the acquisition of a depth player who actually could serve a need given they don't have many spare dmen who are right handed.

This really is not the trade to overreact over.
You think they put him or England in the AHL?

I'm fine with moving Grunstrom but not sure what the point of this was. I'd have to assume they weren't going to qualify him and decided to get something for him. That said, I don't think he was dead weight like Lizotte or Lewis are/were. He's one of the few players on the team that was actually physical and good on the forecheck. He's obviously replaceable but I still think he can be a useful player in the NHL.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Grundstrom was good for about 10 or 12 games at a time and then would disappear for the next 25 games. He'll get a much bigger role for the Sharks
The issue with Grundstrom was that he was an outstanding 4th liner whose play led to being elevated up the lineup. Last year the Kings 4th line was dominant over the first month when the team was rolling, then Dubois slacked his way down the lineup and they bumped Grundstrom up to try and give Dubois a more direct style of line to get him going.

It cooled Carl down completely, he got hurt again, and he never bounced back. Something similar happened the year prior as well. Too good for your 4th line, not consist enough to be counted on.

I'm fine with moving Grunstrom but not sure what the point of this was. I'd have to assume they weren't going to qualify him and decided to get something for him. That said, I don't think he was dead weight like Lizotte or Lewis are/were. He's one of the few players on the team that was actually physical and good on the forecheck. He's obviously replaceable but I still think he can be a useful player in the NHL.
Neither Lizotte or Lewis have ever been "dead weight".

Reactions: King'sPawn

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Exactly, well said. Not a hill to die on.

This is a depth move and nothing more.
There is also a chance that they have thoroughly scouted Burroughs and think that his particular skill set gives them cover on the right side.

But Anderson, Gavrikov, Englund, Moverare and Burroughs is way too much of the same thing on one roster

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
tHERE'S our Roy 'replacement' to cockblock or trade Spence/Clarke

f***in rights Blakey

can't wait to see this guy and Englund on the ice at the same time to make sure Clarke doesn't turn the puck over
This guy's not a real d man.
If he wanted toughness and size theres only one guy-nikita zadorov.
Just more jive ass half measures by our gm who keeps thinking he can sign bottom feeders and somehow thell turn into winners

The issue with Grundstrom was that he was an outstanding 4th liner whose play led to being elevated up the lineup. Last year the Kings 4th line was dominant over the first month when the team was rolling, then Dubois slacked his way down the lineup and they bumped Grundstrom up to try and give Dubois a more direct style of line to get him going.

It cooled Carl down completely, he got hurt again, and he never bounced back. Something similar happened the year prior as well. Too good for your 4th line, not consist enough to be counted on.

Neither Lizotte or Lewis have ever been "dead weight".

I guess what I'm saying is Grunstrom has more upside or has upside compared to either of those two. I'd rather see those guys jettisoned before Grunstrom. This isn't earth shattering by any means and it's obvious they didn't intend to keep him. The trade wasn't about who they got versus getting something for who they were getting rid of.

I would also argue that Lizotte was downright awful in the playoffs the last two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad