Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I watch the leafs all the time and liljegren is hot garbage, I wouldn't trade friedman for him straight across.

At one million it's a decent gamble, at six million he's not worth a fourth rounder.

Leafs ruined his development, deployment and now any value he might have had to another team.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Probably nothing 'sic' about it. The point the pundits are making is that just about everybody on the Canucks last year had a 'career year'.

And 'one-off' seasons are very rarely duplicated next season. Already Demko has to be be considered a 'longshot' as a finalist for the Vezina. And it could be stretch to suggest that either Miller or Pettersson hit the 100-point mark.

And a number of sites also have Quinn Hughes as only the 'sixth best' choice to win the Norris Trophy back-to-back. Not sure why.....but there it is.

So there's probably some logic in assuming 'a correction' for the Canucks this season.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Probably nothing 'sic' about it. The point the pundits are making is that just about everybody on the Canucks last year had a 'career year'.

And 'one-off' seasons are very rarely duplicated next season. Already Demko has to be be considered a 'longshot' as a finalist for the Vezina. And it could be stretch to suggest that either Miller or Pettersson hit the 100-point mark.

And a number of sites also have Quinn Hughes as only the 'sixth best' choice to win the Norris Trophy back-to-back. Not sure why.....but there it is.

So there's probably some logic in assuming 'a correction' for the Canucks this season.

No…do you mean Steve Simmons?

• Haha
Reactions: Lindgren

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
that is a no for me. trading a guy the team just signed 3months ago, puts a bad taste in future ufas coming to vancouver imo. let vd learn the system and give it 15-20 games before blasting everyone.

That I think will be closer to deadline, by closer I mean January maybe, so we won't...you know...run out of time.

It's been only one game, so I'll sit and watch some more to see where this goes.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
That I think will be closer to deadline, by closer I mean January maybe, so we won't...you know...run out of time.

It's been only one game, so I'll sit and watch some more to see where this goes.
last year alvin got zads in late november so maybe he does something similar depending on how the team is doing.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
last year alvin got zads in late november so maybe he does something similar depending on how the team is doing.

Fair enough. I still miss General Zad - the swag and the attitude of not giving a shit.

I saw this earlier today, not entirely sure what the disrespect part come from. It's no secret that a couple of games into playoffs and even long before that he's became a fan favorite, and every source indicated that he was also a hugely (pun untended I swear to god) popular figure in locker room too.

Was he thinking that the team's offer was disrespectful? But he should understand that the team must put...team first, there's only so much they can offer before the deal simply makes no sense.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Fair enough. I still miss General Zad - the swag and the attitude of not giving a shit.

I saw this earlier today, not entirely sure what the disrespect part come from. It's no secret that a couple of games into playoffs and even long before that he's became a fan favorite, and every source indicated that he was also a hugely (pun untended I swear to god) popular figure in locker room too.

Was he thinking that the team's offer was disrespectful? But he should understand that the team must put...team first, there's only so much they can offer before the deal simply makes no sense.
before he came into the canucks he was 5th D in calgary too. i guess he felt was too entitled and wanted to be in the top 4 for the flames but guess they thought otherwise and he wanted out. his small sample here in vancouver before the playoffs he was in the same position. the 13 playoff game sample he displayed for vancouver made sure teams were getting that zadorov for 82 regular season games. guess boston thought he was worth paying the bag for". as much i would have liked Z to be back for vancouver the money wasnt worth it. us fans be bitching and moaning about "overpaying a 30year old dman to a longterm contract" and what if he declines in years 3-4? down the line.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

it was his agent dan milstien who didnt wanna talk to the orgnaization for contract talks. so i don't know if canucks "disrepected" zads. maybe it was the agent.. had we signed zads, myers doesnt get resigned too. and joshua..

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I watch the leafs all the time and liljegren is hot garbage, I wouldn't trade friedman for him straight across.

At one million it's a decent gamble, at six million he's not worth a fourth rounder.

Leafs ruined his development, deployment and now any value he might have had to another team.

I do wonder if Tocchet could fix Liljegren. There's clearly talent there but he has no idea what to do with it. Granted, Toronto's been throwing him around all over the place.

He'd definitely one of those players to pass through a third team or the Leafs hold 40-50% of his contract. I'd like to give him a flyer but not at 3M

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I would have liked them to keep Zads. I know it’s not a popular take but I think we should have traded garland. I feel Zads and a $2M forward is better than Garland and Forburt

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks will undoubtedly have the cap room to acquire somebody significant on the blueline at the TDL. But until then, they'll probably just have to muddle through.

And Lilgegren might have been a possibility if he wasn't making $3m a season. Can't pay anywhere close to that for a depth d-man, and I doubt the Leafs would ever be willing to retain any of his salary.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Lindholm $7.75M & Zads $5M = $12.75M

Pettersson $11.7m & Forbort $1.5m = $13.2M

You could argue we had Cole last year and Zads so that Forbort is his replacement and shouldn’t be counted in the calculation.

Not sure I would not have preferred to keep Lindholm and Zads over Pettersson. This is due to the young assets I perceive we would have gotten should we have traded him. Love this management team, but I’m not sure this will end up playing out as the best decision. Since we don’t know what the Canucks would have received in trade or what was available it will always be nebulas, but I suspect it will be a net loss.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Lindholm $7.75M & Zads $5M = $12.75M

Pettersson $11.7m & Forbort $1.5m = $13.2M

You could argue we had Cole last year and Zads so that Forbort is his replacement and shouldn’t be counted in the calculation.

Not sure I would not have preferred to keep Lindholm and Zads over Pettersson. This is due to the young assets I perceive we would have gotten should we have traded him. Love this management team, but I’m not sure this will end up playing out as the best decision. Since we don’t know what the Canucks would have received in trade or what was available it will always be nebulas, but I suspect it will be a net loss.
Deharnais - 2 mil & Forbort - 1.5 mil Zardorov - 5 mil

Last year
Myers 6 mil, this year 3 mil a savings of 3 mil
Cole - 3 mil, this year 0 mil
Zadorov - 3.75 mil - this year 5 mil

So the savings from Myers and Cole equaled enough to pay big Z and still have enough for another currently available dman, RHD Shattenkirk, RHD Shultz for example, there are other bigger guys too or sign Deharnais still and they would still save money

Last year not counting Hughes or Hronek
TM (6)+ Ian Cole (3)+ NZ (3.75)= 12.75 mil
This year could have been
TM (3)+ NZ (5)+ Vincent Deharnais (2)= 11 mil

Bigger, younger and still enough to sign Forbort @ 1.5 mil and save 275K.

With the Demko question you really have to ask WHY didn't this happen? The defence would have been better.

Now AHL dmen Juulsen or Freidman are the Zadorov replacement.

That was not a good look for Myers, sprained/torn knee it looked like, painful like the devil, detached hurt but differently.

Reactions: oceanchild

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Probably nothing ‘sic’ about it 😭

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

My take has been a repeat 2016. Certainly not looking very good so far

BUT it is early.

2 games does not a season make. Old style grammar there.

The way things are being talked about Demko ever playing again might start being a question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad