Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know that Canucks fans are pinning their hopes on getting another impact d-man at the trade deadline, like they did with Zadorov last season.

But it'll hardly be easy, and the Canucks will have to give up a king's ransom to leverage somebody with top-four potential. I suppose a team like Montreal, Columbus or Anaheim has a couple of veteran guys, but they won't come cheap.

And while teams like Vegas, Carolina and Colorado also have some surplus guys, they're hardly going to give up a guy like Shea Theodore in the heat of a playoff race.

I almost think the Canucks are in a situation where they're going to have to tough it out on the blueline. I'd hate to see them cough up yet another first rounder and a couple more draft picks for guys like Lindholm and Zadorov who both 'walked' in the off-season.
Mon has Matheson and Savard with Savard as a ufa. With all of the kids coming up for them they likely need to keep Matheson.

Anaheim is Fowler and gudas and Dum. Fowler don’t see him waiving for Canada. Dum not the same guy from his Pitt days. Gudas?

CbJ is Provorov. Not moving Werenski who has term.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Matheson (1 x $4.875M)
Sanheim (6 x $6.25M)
Gavrikov (UFA x $5.875M)
Pettersson (UFA x $4.025M)
Provorov (UFA x $6.75M)
Weegar (6 x $6.25M)
Fehervary (1 x $2.675M)
Chychrun (UFA x $4.6M)
Byram (RFA x $3.85M
Middleton ($2.45M, 4 x $4.35M)
Theodore (UFA x $5.25M)
Power (4 x $8.35M)
Lindgren (UFA x $4.5M)
Samuelsson (1 x ($4.29M)
K. Miller (RFA x $3.87M
Hague (RFA x $2.294M)
Romanov (RFA x $2.5M)
Sieganthaler (3 x $3.4M)
Dunn (3 x $7.35M)
Maata (UFA x $3.0M)
Zamula (1 x $1.7M)
Orlov (UFA x $7.75M)

Pretty much all of the most attractive and potentially attainable LHD/LD’s. Ranges from #2-4/5 in terms of quality. I listed Theodore just because….and I know he’s a RD.

So pick your poison!

Last edited:
Reactions: arttk

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Matheson (1 x $4.875M)
Sanheim (6 x $6.25M)
Gavrikov (UFA x $5.875M)
Pettersson (UFA x $4.025M)
Provorov (UFA x $6.75M)
Weegar (6 x $6.25M)
Fehervary (1 x $2.675M)
Chychrun (UFA x $4.6M)
Byram (RFA x $3.85M
Middleton ($2.45M, 4 x $4.35M)
Theodore (UFA x $5.25M)
Power (4 x $8.35M)
Lindgren (UFA x $4.5M)
Samuelsson (1 x ($4.29M)
K. Miller (RFA x $3.87M
Hague (RFA x $2.294M)
Romanov (RFA x $2.5M)
Sieganthaler (3 x $3.4M)
Dunn (3 x $7.35M)
Maata (UFA x $3.0M)
Zamula (1 x $1.7M)
Orlov (UFA x $7.75M)

Pretty much all of the most attractive and potentially attainable LHD/LD’s. Ranges from #2-4/5 in terms of quality. I listed Theodore just because….and I know he’s a RD.

So pick your poison!

If we're moving Willander in a deal I would absolutely want Weegar or an extended Theodore back.

In a more picks and B prospects I like Marcus Pettersson who should definitely be available as the Penguins will likely struggle. Gavrikov and Siegenthaler also interesting.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
If we're moving Willander in a deal I would absolutely want Weegar or an extended Theodore back.

In a more picks and B prospects I like Marcus Pettersson who should definitely be available as the Penguins will likely struggle. Gavrikov and Siegenthaler also interesting.
*move Lekk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
To be fair, it was clear they needed another defenceman ever since Zadorov decided not to re-sign.
I think they looked at the options and didn’t want to sign anyone with term. Better to wait out the year and see how Willander does and also get a longer term solution at TDL.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think they looked at the options and didn’t want to sign anyone with term. Better to wait out the year and see how Willander does and also get a longer term solution at TDL.

I don’t see any good scenario where Willander plays meaningful minutes for the Canucks this season. I also believe that he’ll play in the AHL next season and get integrated the season afterwards. They will slow play him.

Agreed that there wasn’t anything they liked on the trade market or free agency. Probably prefer to get a rental and figure it out from there.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

I also wonder if they were hopeful for a better showing from the likes of Friedman, Juulsen and other prospects. Granted, I still think Friedman deserves more of a look than he's been given.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don’t see any good scenario where Willander plays meaningful minutes for the Canucks this season. I also believe that he’ll play in the AHL next season and get integrated the season afterwards. They will slow play him.

Agreed that there wasn’t anything they liked on the trade market or free agency. Probably prefer to get a rental and figure it out from there.
It’s not this season, you don’t want to lock up anyone longer than 2 years if Willander looks like a gamer. And I guess if Willander looks good, they can spend the money on the LD. If he doesn’t look good, they probably will need to find a RD long term.

I also wonder if they were hopeful for a better showing from the likes of Friedman, Juulsen and other prospects. Granted, I still think Friedman deserves more of a look than he's been given.
no idea, maybe they thought with the new forward group and the speed, they can get the guys to come back and help out more and make things work for like a couple months until they can a better guy via trade

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Team has been looking for a young defenseman to emerge as a reliable bottom pairing minute eater.

McWard, Hirose, Juulsen (to an extent) and Woo have failed to take any steps forward.

We are waiting on guys like Pettersson, Willander, Kudryavtsev and Mynio to see if they can take any sizeable steps forward.
McWard hasn't played hockey yet and took a bunch of steps last year. Went from NCAA to AHL with a few NHL games and was mostly solid.

Was better than Juulsen at last years camp and has better tools. I wouldn't include him with those other names yet.

It's gonna be tough to retain any big name addition if we go that route

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I know that Canucks fans are pinning their hopes on getting another impact d-man at the trade deadline, like they did with Zadorov last season.

But it'll hardly be easy, and the Canucks will have to give up a king's ransom to leverage somebody with top-four potential. I suppose a team like Montreal, Columbus or Anaheim has a couple of veteran guys, but they won't come cheap.

And while teams like Vegas, Carolina and Colorado also have some surplus guys, they're hardly going to give up a guy like Shea Theodore in the heat of a playoff race.

I almost think the Canucks are in a situation where they're going to have to tough it out on the blueline. I'd hate to see them cough up yet another first rounder and a couple more draft picks for guys like Lindholm and Zadorov who both 'walked' in the off-season.

No way management or ownership is punting on this season, which is what we'd essentially be doing if we didn't make a big add. That 1st round pick is likely being traded, but I imagine it'll be for a D-man that we're planning on re-signing similar to the Hronek situation.

I guess the only exception would be if we look like garbage all season and are on the bubble at the deadline. But that doesn't seem likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad