Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think the season is 200 days long so for every day a player like Raty($837k AAV) is off the roster it should save them just over $4k.
i did the math a while back and got roughly the same result. another way to look at it is portion of the season. if raty spends 1/3 of the season in the ahl without a callup to replace him that is 1/3 of his aav saved.

i question whether doing this like a yoyo with a young player is wise economy though. all the missed practice time with the big team and the disruption of skating with two groups will potentially interfere with development.

the other downside to this is that guys on 2 way deals do not appreciate being papered down even a little bit and doing it to accrue cap to acquire a guy to take his roster spot doesn't feel good either.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I didn't see Friedman getting waived. Interesting.

Maybe it's smart to do it now that every team has already finalized their rosters and would be forced to waive one of their own to claim him most likely.

Now that they have a cleared recallable LHD option in Brannstrom on the farm it makes sense to try and slip him through and have a LHD/RHD ready to go on the farm but take advantage of the additional cap space.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wonder if they were waiting to see if Brannstrom cleared. He can step in now if they need someone to play the left side, so can risk waiving Friedman.

I assume if they were going to do that, it won't be until the road trip. Just to maximize cap accrual.

Edit: Now I get what you're saying. Yeah Brannstrom provides additional insurance in-case Friedman gets claimed.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

I didn't see Friedman getting waived. Interesting.

sending down a veteran who signed expecting to spend time in the ahl and on a one way makes sense if the plan is to accrue cap with a 22 man roster. he doesn't need team practices and consistency nearly as badly as bains and raty do and he is not out of pocket. so carry 2 forwards and 1 d.

so long as friedman doesn't get claimed.

and i agree with @pitselah that branstrom gives them breathing room on the left side if friedman does gets claimed. barely.

Reactions: Lindgren and Vector

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
With no roster limits, it would purely be for playing time. No idea what the plan is.

1613934985466.jpg

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
With no roster limits, it would purely be for playing time. No idea what the plan is.
I wonder if they trade Wolanin or Woo for another teams forward prospect. Similar to the Rathbone/Glover deal. Brisebois is another but he has no value at all.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Was waiting on the Juulsen/Friedman waive. Given all the noise about the cap and accrual I would have been surprised if one wasn't sent down.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Not a secret he sees himself as a top 4D and wanted the minutes and money. My guess is Allvin was very blunt about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad